Watch this...

Radio Free Asia: "did you know in North Korea they eat babies?"

Me: "I don't believe that."

Radio Free Asia: "WHAT?!?!? How did you do that???"

See. And I'm just a dumbass who does nothing but smoke weed and watch pirated b-horror movies. Whats everyone else's fucking excuse?

People fall for this shit because they want to, not because the state department has magical brainwashing powers. Propaganda doesn't mean people don't have fucking agency.

top 50 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] UmbraVivi@hexbear.net 48 points 11 months ago* (last edited 11 months ago)

This is a silly post. This really is a very silly post and it really shouldn't be upvoted.

The essence of the OP, "people fall for propaganda because they want to", is literally a classic "personal responsibility" argument with the underlying effort of deflecting blame from the system and environmental conditions (the all-encompassing propaganda apparatus influencing peoples' opinions) and attributing it to an individual's vague inherent qualities instead.

"You fall for propaganda because you want to" is frankly idiotic victim-blaming. Propaganda is highly manipulative and often appeals to people's empathy. You conveniently picked an absurd example of course, but Hamas killing Israeli civilians because of religious extremism and antisemitism, for example, is a much more believable narrative that would require active research to dispel, active research that many people literally don't have the online literacy or critical thinking skills to do. Because of their material conditions and the environments they live in.

People fall for propaganda because their environment has primed them to believe it. It wasn't Radio Free Asia that told me propaganda about China and North Korea, it was my parents and my teachers, people I trusted growing up. It was never as simple as saying "I don't believe it". I grew up thinking China and North Korea were bad and it took years of slow deprogramming until I was able to properly change my mind.

What is everyone else's excuse in your opinion? With how the sentence is phrased as a rhetorical question, do you think there isn't one at all, do you just ascribe other people's failure to reject propaganda as a personal, moral failing? In that case, are they lost causes, are they just inherently less virtuous than you are?

This post is completely reactionary in nature and everyone who upvoted it should question how uncritically they're consuming posts from a platform they trust. It attempts to take the current frustration we all feel from our environments believing propaganda narratives, and uses it to spread complete nonsense about how our ability to reject state propaganda somehow means we're somehow innately better than others. It is, ironically, a great example of how one's trusted environment can make one susceptible to dumbass, reactionary narratives.

[-] UlyssesT@hexbear.net 16 points 11 months ago

It's the same kind of self-deceiving smugness that eventually lead so many of Reddit's self-styled New Atheists down a reactionary path, where feeling superior to the masses made them believe they were immune to being manipulated, which made many of them easy to manipulate by right-wing cults of personality. ![up-yours-woke-moralists](https://www.hexbear.net/pictrs/image/84807535-7e9e-49ac-9f50-6ec7e71f5fe9.png "emoji up-yours-woke-moralists")

Such self-deceiving smugness is poison against class solidarity, is hostile toward the people in general because of the bootstrappy attitude built right into it, and leaves the "I'm too smart to be fooled" believer more susceptible to manipulation over time.

I didn't feel it was worth it locking horns with the OP because of prior experience, but I'm glad you put it in your own words better than I would have.

load more comments (2 replies)
load more comments (6 replies)
[-] JoeByeThen@hexbear.net 46 points 11 months ago

Propaganda doesn't mean people don't have fucking agency.

Agency just means that the mechanisms that determine behavior in response to stimulus occurs within us. It doesn't mean we have control over it. People swimming in propaganda all their lives are going to behave using that propaganda they've epxerienced to judge other propaganda. You might as well pick a fish up out of water and say, "just breathe air, bro."

[-] 420blazeit69@hexbear.net 45 points 11 months ago

This is no different from "you have agency, you can just not commit crimes" personal responsibility rhetoric we see from the right. Either we believe people's material conditions influence their behavior in a way that at least lessens their responsibility or we don't.

[-] CliffordBigRedDog@hexbear.net 44 points 11 months ago

I am immune to propaganda actually im just built different

[-] SunriseParabellum@hexbear.net 21 points 11 months ago

To steal from another commenter here

You are not ever immune to propaganda but acting like everyone is equally credulous and willing to simply blindly follow reactionary propaganda is silly IMO.

[-] TankieTanuki@hexbear.net 17 points 11 months ago* (last edited 11 months ago)

You can become immune to propaganda if you subscribe to my paid newsletter.

load more comments (1 replies)
[-] Maoo@hexbear.net 31 points 11 months ago

Why don't you believe it, though? Have you always made that choice? Did you always notice it was Radio Free Asia? What about the New York Times quoting Radio Free Asia? How about a teacher or your classmates remembering something they read somewhere (the NYT quoting Radio Free Asia)? Did you always refuse all capitalist propaganda in all its forms? Do you do so right now?

Hell, we literally can't escape some of it because the most pernicious form is in controlling our focus and that's forced on us by the media and every other human following media narratives.

There is, of course, a point where people deserve blame for acceptance of propaganda narratives, but most of the time it is unconscious and shaped by the ideology of capitalism in which they are steeped and have had little chance to escape due to the left being a small presence or incompetent.

[-] SunriseParabellum@hexbear.net 17 points 11 months ago

Why don't you believe it, though?

By being online (like most people under 40 in the west) and having a curiosity about the world.

I'm more sympathetic when we're talking shit that actually does require some research, like all the false narratives about the USSR does require doing some actual research, like from books and stuff. But there's shit out there that really you have no excuse for not knowing about at all. Like all the Israeli-Palestine stuff, there's fairly mainstream sources telling it like it is with that, you don't have to be that "woke" to encounter them, yet most people who do ignore it cuz they like settler colonialism.

[-] Comp4@hexbear.net 26 points 11 months ago

The problem is its easier/harder depending on your upbringing and country. Like for example as Teenager I was taught the Soviets were the main guys who defeated the Nazis. While there was some talk about them being authoritarian, stuff like the industrialization under Stalin made them seem like "just" another really cool Empire in History (plus they kicked the Nazis) ass. So I had a pretty positive view of the Soviets. Same with Communism I was never taught it was evil or bad. Just another system to organize society/economy. Having a pretty neutral starting point made IT MUCH easier for me to slowly fall out with mainstream liberal narratives and to question things. Obviously im not Amerikkkan.

[-] SunriseParabellum@hexbear.net 15 points 11 months ago

I grew up in a rural CHUD family, as did half the people here now. No excuses.

[-] Comp4@hexbear.net 12 points 11 months ago* (last edited 11 months ago)

Im not making excuses. It just seems to me that if the starting conditions were better it would be more likely for someone to break out of the liberal/chud zone and challenge the status quo. Like if there was no red scare in the USA ...Communism would be less of a taboo for many people.

To turn this around im not sure I can take much credit for arriving at the conclusion that the USA is the great Satan. Im not American. Now if I was an American and I lived a good life in the USA ? Then maybe ?...it must be incredibly easy to buy into the American myth if you are white and live a good (wealthy) life.

In a way the people that arrive on Hexbear to me seem like people that beat the odds to arrive at the conclusions they arrived at. Since the site does skew towards Americans and it seems the Left is pretty fucked in the USA. So being someone who is cool with Marxist Leninism is kind of like being a Unicorn. (At least in the heart of the beast)

load more comments (8 replies)
[-] TankieTanuki@hexbear.net 25 points 11 months ago* (last edited 11 months ago)

If you directly ask if something is propaganda they're legally required to tell you the truth.

[-] SunriseParabellum@hexbear.net 19 points 11 months ago

We are at the point they don't seem to really be hiding it anymore. Libs who know that Radio Free Asia is literally funded by the State Department will go ahead and treat it as reputable anyway. If it came out that Vaush was actually CIA, I doubt he'd lose a single fan. They just shrug it off these days and go on believing what they want to.

[-] Smeagolicious@hexbear.net 24 points 11 months ago

Apparently learning doesn't exist to hexbear lmao. You can 100% do due diligence, find reliable information, educate yourself, and try to form a principled and informed worldview. You are not ever immune to propaganda but acting like everyone is equally credulous and willing to simply blindly follow reactionary propaganda is silly IMO. This doesn't have anything to do with inherent differences or vulnerabilities, but material conditions which can allow for this, and there are people who despite upbringings steeped in this propaganda manage to shake it and investigate, be critical.

Maybe I'm off base but I didn't even jump to the "everyone is dumb but OP and the smarties who are propaganda immune" interpretation of this post at all. I think the best way to look at vulnerability to propaganda is not with a sense of superiority but as an opportunity to educate oneself and others to help recognize the signs of this reactionary propaganda. And no, I don't think both sidesing this is fair at all - aren't leftists supposed to have the basis of our political ideology founded in theory and analysis of history? That's certainly a more rigorous interrogation of preconceived notions than what any lib absorbs to form their worldview.

[-] YearOfTheCommieDesktop@hexbear.net 23 points 11 months ago* (last edited 11 months ago)

You have to believe something, and you can't experience everything first hand. So to some extent we are beholden to media to tell us what's going on in the world. I've never gone to the white house and checked if joe biden is actually the US president, nor has anyone I know, but I see it in the media....

The key is outside of commie circles and some corners of the internet, a lot of the counter narratives are effectively banned, and simply going "nah, don't believe it" is an instinct that has to be honed with life experience, and one that will eventually get it wrong, so you still need alternative media sources.

But yeah, a lot of stuff is obviously self serving and outlandish if you have any frame of reference besides US liberal mainstream media. or sometimes even if you don't tbh.

[-] SunriseParabellum@hexbear.net 18 points 11 months ago

So to some extent we are beholden to media to tell us what's going on in the world.

I get what your saying, but in the modern digital world you really don't need to be that online to encounter counter narratives. You see this on ![reddit-logo](https://www.hexbear.net/pictrs/image/4aac8007-876f-4c7f-936d-b7eabf506ef4.png "emoji reddit-logo"), any time there's a thread about the DPRK there's usually several diligent fellow travelers posting about how a lot of the info you hear about North Korea is just blatant propaganda, often with citations. People tell them to fuck off regardless. They ![funny-clown-hammer](https://www.hexbear.net/pictrs/image/44929111-f9b0-49d5-9b4b-55012eb11e83.png "emoji funny-clown-hammer") sub had a post about how the whole "Hamas beheading babies" story is likely Bull and everyone was saying "well I believe it's probably true anyway".

At this point I think anyone literate with an internet connection and even a mild interest in politics and history doesn't have much of an excuse for being THIS poorly informed. The ignorance is willful. The reason we haven't had much luck reaching these people isn't due to any lack of effort of charisma on our part, there's plenty of great, entertaining propaganda outlets for us now, it's cuz the audience is not available to be reached.

[-] queermunist@lemmy.ml 22 points 11 months ago

A lot of them don't even have a mild interest in politics. They have an interest in The News and in voteball, but that's it. So they put in zero effort or critical thought in to whatever The News says or what their voteball team says.

[-] BurgerPunk@hexbear.net 15 points 11 months ago
[-] Graphite22@hexbear.net 12 points 11 months ago

oh god it is voteball

supreme court justices are just refs

[-] zephyreks@hexbear.net 13 points 11 months ago* (last edited 11 months ago)

Alright, I'll bite. What is and isn't propaganda about the DPRK?

Because, from what I can tell, you can't both be a backwater and a hellhole while having the capability to develop nuclear weapons and ballistic missiles. Some of their technology is astonishingly advanced and shouldn't be possible in a country where millions are starving and everyone is uneducated.

You can't just pick one guy and have them be a nuclear scientist through sheer willpower and propaganda. You need to have a robust education system that happens to produce those kinds of people.

For what it's worth, that's been true for the US, the Soviet Union, China, France, the UK, India, Pakistan, Israel, South Africa, and Iran. They had inequality, sure, but a good chunk of each population was very educated and very advanced.

[-] SunriseParabellum@hexbear.net 17 points 11 months ago

A better read person on the topic could probably make a better effort post than me, but to give a few bullet points.

There is a bit of a weird cult of personality around the Kim family, but it is grossly exaggerated by the western press.

They do dedicate a lot of their economic capacity to military development, but that's kinda understandable what with an empire that once bombed them nearly back to the Stone Age having air bases just south of their border.

They do struggle economically, but the idea they're in a perpetual famine is bullshit and a lot of these struggles are do to US sanctions.

The really crazy stories you hear about people believing in unicorns and Kim personally feeding his concubines to dogs are almost entirely bullshit coming from weird right wing South Korean news papers that almost always get debunked within a week.

[-] TrashGoblin@hexbear.net 15 points 11 months ago

simply going "nah, don't believe it" is an instinct that has to be honed with life experience, and one that will eventually get it wrong, so you still need alternative media sources.

You also need a background understanding of how the world works (ie, theory) to replace the propaganda with anything useful. If you don't, you might distrust the propaganda on instinct, but get drawn into a completely bogus explanation for whatever the propaganda is trying to cover up. Which is where I think a lit of reactionary conspiracy thinking comes from.

[-] arabiclearner@hexbear.net 23 points 11 months ago

I'm sure there was a time when you were completely wrong about something.

[-] Lemmygradwontallowme@hexbear.net 21 points 11 months ago
[-] Spongebobsquarejuche@hexbear.net 21 points 11 months ago* (last edited 11 months ago)

Lordy. Some people dont have the time. Or someone in there life to teach them about politics. It is not want or not. We as leftists should take this upon ourselves to understand this and help bring people to truth.

[-] Mokey@hexbear.net 20 points 11 months ago

OP believes that they are just smarter and more built differenter than other people because theyre so cool and smart and superior

[-] SunriseParabellum@hexbear.net 13 points 11 months ago

No I am very stupid. I accidentally peed in my bathroom wastebasket last night.

[-] Mokey@hexbear.net 12 points 11 months ago

Wow maybe you should of known better than to do that

[-] SunriseParabellum@hexbear.net 19 points 11 months ago

Yes but I materially benefit from pissing in my waste basket cuz it means I don't have to take the time to turn on the bathroom lights, so I'm going to buy into Radio Free Bathroom propaganda about how my toilet is filled with piss eating goblins to justify continuing to piss in my wastebasket.

load more comments (4 replies)
[-] Hexbear2@hexbear.net 20 points 11 months ago* (last edited 11 months ago)
load more comments (12 replies)
[-] raven@hexbear.net 19 points 11 months ago

When I was a lib there was a certain level of "If they can just say that insane shit apparently uncontested it must be at least partially true. They couldn't just lie right?"

Then I learned that they do just make up insane bullshit.

[-] paperclip4465@lemmy.ml 19 points 11 months ago* (last edited 11 months ago)

You are too confident in your ability to recognize propaganda… you don’t get to choose what you believe anymore than anyone else.

https://hmachine1949.substack.com/p/conspiracy-as-proletarian-truth

Most people continue to speak a certain way about President Kennedy, Oklahoma, 9/11, COVID-19, Election 2020, or vaccines not because evidence convinces them one way or the other, but because their class position skews their understanding of what evidence and truth are.

For a middle-class rewarded with minor gains and token recognition within a class hierarchy, the truth necessarily emanates from those who control the productive forces of society. Those who buy into these fake narratives do not themselves choose to cheer on these forces; they hardly know these forces exist at all. Instead, they too believe they earned their identity by wresting their thoughts from the void via their own individual choice and willed acts of transcendence, as much as Kant or any other short-sighted academic scholar

[-] aaro@hexbear.net 18 points 11 months ago

I don't understand how anyone can think that the US education system, media industry, and iron-fisted grip on the press form the most ruthless and effective propaganda apparatus that has ever been seen in history, and then turn around and say "but actually anyone under its influence could just stop being influenced by it if they wanted to". Only one of those things can be true.

[-] Othello@hexbear.net 17 points 11 months ago

i tried to read this comment section and then i blacked out.

load more comments (6 replies)
[-] Abracadaniel@hexbear.net 17 points 11 months ago

![citations-needed](https://www.hexbear.net/pictrs/image/c1cc2564-0734-41c1-84a9-ab30d37eed7e.png "emoji citations-needed") The fundamental unit of propaganda is not facts, it's emphasis.

Also this is vulgar idealism.

[-] OgdenTO@hexbear.net 16 points 11 months ago

Yeah, I think there are clearly items that can be labeled as propagands and ignored, however, it's not always that easy. Nobody is immune to propaganda, but mainly because sometimes really banal ass information is also just a lie.

[-] kristina@hexbear.net 16 points 11 months ago

You don't have to believe anything. The default state is head empty, it should be fine to be head empty.

[-] robot_dog_with_gun@hexbear.net 12 points 11 months ago

i'm not a child neuroscientist but i think we figure out some stuff like object permanence empirically.

[-] Gelamzer@hexbear.net 16 points 11 months ago* (last edited 11 months ago)

People dont belive the state department because they are smol beans whos brain have been fried by pro usa laser beam, they do it because it makes sense for them People on the other side of world are barbarians.

I mean look at the muh Hamas beheaded 40 babies.

People dont belive that because its convincing they do it becsuse they already think that fits how Palestinas act according to them

[-] HumanBehaviorByBjork@hexbear.net 14 points 11 months ago

the horror movies are inoculating you. they're the glasses from They Live.

[-] SunriseParabellum@hexbear.net 14 points 11 months ago

I do love John Carpenter

[-] NotErisma@hexbear.net 13 points 11 months ago* (last edited 11 months ago)

simply don't fall for propaganda reverberates in my head, bouncing off every surface

As I watch ~~years~~ centuries of indoctrination (particularly Catholicism) rip apart ndn communities. The effects linger today, just ask any LGBT ndns living on the rez for example.

[-] WithoutFurtherRelay@hexbear.net 12 points 11 months ago* (last edited 11 months ago)

Everyone’s decisions are entirely influenced by their life circumstances and experiences. Despite popular belief, this does not justify serial killers, nor imperialists, because a reason for something happening is not the same thing as an excuse for the behavior.

The only alternative is that things simply happen for no reason.

[-] FodlegBob@hexbear.net 12 points 11 months ago

my cat's breath smells like cat food

load more comments
view more: next ›
this post was submitted on 11 Oct 2023
169 points (100.0% liked)

chapotraphouse

13460 readers
726 users here now

Banned? DM Wmill to appeal.

No anti-nautilism posts. See: Eco-fascism Primer

Vaush posts go in the_dunk_tank