Watch this...

Radio Free Asia: "did you know in North Korea they eat babies?"

Me: "I don't believe that."

Radio Free Asia: "WHAT?!?!? How did you do that???"

See. And I'm just a dumbass who does nothing but smoke weed and watch pirated b-horror movies. Whats everyone else's fucking excuse?

People fall for this shit because they want to, not because the state department has magical brainwashing powers. Propaganda doesn't mean people don't have fucking agency.

you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] SunriseParabellum@hexbear.net 18 points 11 months ago

So to some extent we are beholden to media to tell us what's going on in the world.

I get what your saying, but in the modern digital world you really don't need to be that online to encounter counter narratives. You see this on ![reddit-logo](https://www.hexbear.net/pictrs/image/4aac8007-876f-4c7f-936d-b7eabf506ef4.png "emoji reddit-logo"), any time there's a thread about the DPRK there's usually several diligent fellow travelers posting about how a lot of the info you hear about North Korea is just blatant propaganda, often with citations. People tell them to fuck off regardless. They ![funny-clown-hammer](https://www.hexbear.net/pictrs/image/44929111-f9b0-49d5-9b4b-55012eb11e83.png "emoji funny-clown-hammer") sub had a post about how the whole "Hamas beheading babies" story is likely Bull and everyone was saying "well I believe it's probably true anyway".

At this point I think anyone literate with an internet connection and even a mild interest in politics and history doesn't have much of an excuse for being THIS poorly informed. The ignorance is willful. The reason we haven't had much luck reaching these people isn't due to any lack of effort of charisma on our part, there's plenty of great, entertaining propaganda outlets for us now, it's cuz the audience is not available to be reached.

[-] queermunist@lemmy.ml 22 points 11 months ago

A lot of them don't even have a mild interest in politics. They have an interest in The News and in voteball, but that's it. So they put in zero effort or critical thought in to whatever The News says or what their voteball team says.

[-] BurgerPunk@hexbear.net 15 points 11 months ago
[-] Graphite22@hexbear.net 12 points 11 months ago

oh god it is voteball

supreme court justices are just refs

[-] zephyreks@hexbear.net 13 points 11 months ago* (last edited 11 months ago)

Alright, I'll bite. What is and isn't propaganda about the DPRK?

Because, from what I can tell, you can't both be a backwater and a hellhole while having the capability to develop nuclear weapons and ballistic missiles. Some of their technology is astonishingly advanced and shouldn't be possible in a country where millions are starving and everyone is uneducated.

You can't just pick one guy and have them be a nuclear scientist through sheer willpower and propaganda. You need to have a robust education system that happens to produce those kinds of people.

For what it's worth, that's been true for the US, the Soviet Union, China, France, the UK, India, Pakistan, Israel, South Africa, and Iran. They had inequality, sure, but a good chunk of each population was very educated and very advanced.

[-] SunriseParabellum@hexbear.net 17 points 11 months ago

A better read person on the topic could probably make a better effort post than me, but to give a few bullet points.

There is a bit of a weird cult of personality around the Kim family, but it is grossly exaggerated by the western press.

They do dedicate a lot of their economic capacity to military development, but that's kinda understandable what with an empire that once bombed them nearly back to the Stone Age having air bases just south of their border.

They do struggle economically, but the idea they're in a perpetual famine is bullshit and a lot of these struggles are do to US sanctions.

The really crazy stories you hear about people believing in unicorns and Kim personally feeding his concubines to dogs are almost entirely bullshit coming from weird right wing South Korean news papers that almost always get debunked within a week.

this post was submitted on 11 Oct 2023
169 points (100.0% liked)

chapotraphouse

13460 readers
736 users here now

Banned? DM Wmill to appeal.

No anti-nautilism posts. See: Eco-fascism Primer

Vaush posts go in the_dunk_tank

Dunk posts in general go in the_dunk_tank, not here

Don't post low-hanging fruit here after it gets removed from the_dunk_tank

founded 3 years ago
MODERATORS