submitted 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago) by jgrim to c/neurodivergent

I've always had a bunch of screens when working. Recently, I've been using just my laptop without the extra screens and I find I can focus more. Is this a typical thing?

top 21 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] infinitevalence 4 points 1 year ago

I used to be all in on multi screen until 4k became a real option.

I invested in a 32" 4k monitor in 2016 and it's been a game changer.

I can look at full screen engineering drawings, I can open specifications documents, occasional code. With snapping I often have my screen split and can quickly move windows or programs around. The best part no bezels so I can make things fractions like 2/3 unlike normal screens where it would span a bezel.

I ended up putting my spare on the ceiling where I can monitor things and test configurations.

[-] jgrim 1 points 1 year ago

That is quite an interesting setup. I'd go mad with all those distractions. Looks like a kid's play room in front of you. How do you not stop working and play all day!? I have to stay across the house from my son; otherwise, I lose at least an hour of productivity.

[-] infinitevalence 1 points 1 year ago

I have installed doors to help with that and having a huge monitor covers a large part of my field of view.

Also meds make a big difference.

That's much better! Nice! Is it good for sound isolation?

It helps for sure. Now I just need to finish the drywall mud, sand, prime, paint, and do the trim.

It's been a low priority project.

The final touches always take longer to get motivated to do. I remodeled a bathroom about 5 months ago and the trim remains. I did the rest, though, haha. I also put down new flooring in my son's playroom... still missing trim.

I also get pulled into lots of other projects by my wife. I call her the Kanye of home improvement.

https://imgflip.com/i/7r7snq

That's hilarious, haha. I'm going to use that.

[-] justizin 2 points 1 year ago

I have multi-monitor setups in my home office and at work, but I also find much greater focus when just on a laptop. I find some tasks, esp where I’m working with new technologies that I need a bunch of documentation up for, to benefit from the larger screens. It’s an ever evolving balance for me.

I find it difficult to focus on something new when I have more than one screen up. Unless, I need a fresh reference to something. I’m either going to try with my older 27” monitor or no monitor at all for a while and see how my productivity is changed.

[-] Sharpiemarker@feddit.de 2 points 1 year ago
[-] jgrim 2 points 1 year ago
[-] Sharpiemarker@feddit.de 2 points 1 year ago
[-] JickleMithers@kbin.social 1 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

I like 2 screens. It's not overwhelming but also allows me to do more things at once. I've had 4 screens at work at one point and it was way way too much. But after running 2 screens for years, at this point, I can't go back. I feel like I'm severely limited with just one if I need to do work things.

I'm finding it more and more difficult to keep focus when I have more going on. My thinking is to keep distractions out of the way. However, it isn't easy when reading docs on a single screen while trying to work.

[-] lazyguru 1 points 1 year ago

I've used a single screen for several years now. I used to keep messaging apps, etc.. on my laptop screen while I worked on an external monitor, but they just tended to distract me. Now I just use the single monitor and have nothing on the laptop screen (it's only open so I have access to the fingerprint reader)

I find that too large of a monitor is distracting too. I'm thinking about doing what you're doing but pulling out my old smaller monitor.

[-] lazyguru 2 points 1 year ago

Yeah, the one I have isn't monstrous. I think it's like a 27 inch?

That's what mine is. And 4k

[-] lazyguru 1 points 1 year ago

Dell E2722HS is what I have (technically it belongs to work, not me...)

Oh, mine is 32". I have the Gigabyte M32U. My old one is 27 1440p. That's the one I'm thinking about going to.

load more comments
view more: next ›
this post was submitted on 30 Jun 2023
8 points (100.0% liked)

Neurodivergent

338 readers
1 users here now

Welcome

A community of individuals with neurodivergent issues or know a neurodivergent person.

Do not avoid sharing or helping because you do not want to associate your account with personal details.

It's healthy to talk and healthy to help others. Create an alt account if it helps. Folks need encouragement.

Find Help

Rules

1. Don’t spam
  2. No personal and/or confidential information
  3. No threatening, harassing, or inciting violence

Similar channels

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS