submitted 2 days ago by OttoVonNoob@lemmy.ca to c/memes@lemmy.world
top 50 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] phoneymouse@lemmy.world 12 points 23 hours ago

At work once, some guy was watching YouTube videos in the bathroom stalls with sound on. He was also laughing at the videos. What a fucking weirdo! What kind of animal does this?

[-] PresidentCamacho@lemm.ee 7 points 21 hours ago* (last edited 21 hours ago)

We as a society have given up on doing literally anything to shame or punish people who are rude selfish assholes. In fact a large contingent of society seems to celebrate selfishness now. Considering how your actions impact others is something I feel like capitalism has destroyed by showing the world that the only thing you should value is getting ahead by any means necessary, just pretend your actions have no consequences and sell your soul and you too can definitely ~~never~~ be rich too. I truly believe seeing this play out in real life for our entire lives has just shown people considering other people is a recipe to be worse off than being selfish. Capitalism is a plague.

[-] Nuke_the_whales@lemmy.world 1 points 17 hours ago

I'm most annoyed by the speaker phone call in the middle of transit

[-] Revan343@lemmy.ca 16 points 1 day ago

Mute with subtitles is fine

[-] tetris11@lemmy.ml 7 points 22 hours ago* (last edited 22 hours ago)
[Music] [Applause]
[-] MystikIncarnate@lemmy.ca 6 points 23 hours ago

This is the way.

[-] sevan@lemmy.ca 23 points 1 day ago

I used to judge people for going about their daily lives with headphones on (like shopping) as being antisocial. In the last few years, I've come to realize they were just quicker to realize how annoying our society is and I'm increasingly likely to join them.

Recently I went to a mall and visited all the department stores. One of them had a guy playing a piano live and my first thought was "how quaint". Then, as I sat and waited for my wife to try things on it struck me that I wasn't hearing horrible music played over speakers - the piano was really nice. Why can't places go back to playing relaxing music like that (even recorded)?

[-] MystikIncarnate@lemmy.ca 3 points 23 hours ago

IMO, there's two main factors at play. First, the speakers in most stores suck. They have to buy them at volume (quantity, not loudness), and install them everywhere. The primary reason they have them is for paging, so they can make announcements and request that people go places. Music just gives the speakers something to do while not doing announcements.

Due to the amount of speakers they buy, and their primary purpose being for announcements, they don't exactly buy high quality speakers. If the store has existed for a long time (maybe 10+ years), then it's likely they're analog, so the quality is also affected by the amps they're using, and the cables, etc.

As long as the system can still do paging/announcements without issue, the business really doesn't have any reason to spend money on upgrading it.

For the most part, most companies have connected these to some kind of satellite radio or music streaming system (like Spotify, but more business centric). It's just plugged into the ancient sound amps for the analog system, often by someone who isn't an audio expert, so levels are often all over the place, sometimes to loud and blown out, other times too quiet and details in the music are too quiet to be heard.

As long as the speakers still perform the announcements/paging that the company requires, they don't care if the music sounds bad.

There's a lot more to say on it for contributing factors, but the main drivers for it are not to play music. With the shift to digital and everything needing to update their music providing device, coupled with untrained people doing the connections for the new music solution to an ancient speaker system, it's unsurprising that it sounds like garbage.

[-] sevan@lemmy.ca 2 points 17 hours ago

Great points on the horrible quality of sound in these places. I was referring more to the selection of music, but playing it at low quality certainly makes it worse. My kids joke that the grocery store is where old pop songs go to die.

[-] MystikIncarnate@lemmy.ca 1 points 16 hours ago

Well, if the comparison is between a live instrument and the terrible speakers in the building, unless that instrument is not tuned, damaged, or otherwise not working correctly, the instrument will sound significantly better than anything else you could possibly subject your ears to.

The music selection is largely corporate/business picking something that's very safe to play, so it's usually very boring music.

load more comments (3 replies)
[-] WereCat@lemmy.world 21 points 1 day ago

Then there is this guy that has his headphones so loud that I can hear what he listens to from 5 rows away

[-] limelight79@lemm.ee 6 points 21 hours ago

I was on an airplane one time when someone was doing that. The flight attendant heard it and said something like, "Oh no, that's not okay," then figured out who it was and had them turn it down. No one even asked - she just did it. Excellent.

[-] Emerald@lemmy.world 3 points 21 hours ago

Free trip to hearing damage town if they aren't already

[-] A_Random_Idiot@lemmy.world 38 points 1 day ago

If you are in public, like a bus, restaurant, store, public space, etc.

Your phone shouldnt make any fucking noise at all besides ringing and the text ping noise.

And if you're gonna answer it, don't put it on speakerphone, and respect teh fact that everyone within 300 feet of you doesnt want to be party to your fucking phonecall.

[-] phoneymouse@lemmy.world 5 points 23 hours ago

No ringing or text ping noise either. Use vibrate like a civilized human.

[-] A_Random_Idiot@lemmy.world 1 points 23 hours ago

ringing is fine as long as you dont have an obnoxious 4 minute ring tone

[-] spookedintownsville@lemmy.world 50 points 2 days ago
load more comments (2 replies)
[-] Semi_Hemi_Demigod@lemmy.world 12 points 1 day ago

Some other things to add:

• Stand left, walk right on escalators and moving walkways
  • Do not walk more than two abreast, and be aware that there may be people behind you who want to walk faster.

My main gripe with society is that everyone else is in their own little worlds and I'm stuck in the real one dealing with them all.

[-] Xyre@lemmus.org 6 points 23 hours ago

Stand left, walk right on escalators and moving walkways

This may be region-specific. In my area, I generally see it the other way around. But unless you're the only person, it's usually pretty clear which side to stand.

[-] Semi_Hemi_Demigod@lemmy.world 2 points 23 hours ago

Yeah, I got it backwards. Unless you're in a former Commonwealth country and you drive on the left

[-] tetris11@lemmy.ml 3 points 22 hours ago

Stand left, walk right on escalators and moving walkways

This will get you killed in the UK. People would cheer.

[-] Lennnny@lemmy.world 4 points 1 day ago

Treat yourself like a car and park - I see too many people just stopping in the middle of wherever to check their phone. It's not hard to take a quick glance and find a spot off to the side. They should teach this stuff in schools.

[-] DaddleDew@lemmy.world 182 points 2 days ago

You phone shouldn't make any sound whatsoever when you're in public period.

load more comments (53 replies)
[-] JasonDJ@lemmy.zip 10 points 1 day ago

I completely agree.

But.

I fucking hate how I can't read about anything any more. Especially instructional things.

It's getting to the point that if there's something I want to learn about or research, I have to watch a video. And of course, I probably didn't bring headphones, because I wasn't planning on listening to or watching anything.

load more comments (5 replies)
[-] FlyingSquid@lemmy.world 13 points 1 day ago

I was at a party and another person was watching videos on their phone without headphones while everyone was watching a movie. We were all too polite to say anything because it was part of a three-day meetup for people who had been talking to each other on a forum for years and no one wanted to be critical of anyone else, but wow did it piss me off.

[-] yogurtwrong@lemmy.world 31 points 2 days ago

Just like drug addicts, these people are addicted to dopamine and they will do anything to get it even if it makes everyone else uncomfortable

I think TikTok format video players are straight up drugs. It's a real physical addiction which even has withdrawal symptoms

They are so appealing, I do avoid them but it's just sad to watch everyone else become a victim of those

load more comments (11 replies)
[-] MeatsOfRage@lemmy.world 123 points 2 days ago

Worst thing about someone watching a reel out loud is you hear the same 15 second sound bite 30 times while they're reading the comments.

load more comments (4 replies)
[-] YtA4QCam2A9j7EfTgHrH@infosec.pub 81 points 2 days ago

I swear to god, please please please do not blast your fucking music, even if it is rad like ratm, on the walking trail. No one likes it and it makes you look like an asshole and I have to glare at you instead of giving you a friendly wave.

[-] Another_earthling@lemmy.world 7 points 1 day ago

That's was pisses me off ever since I started to go by train instead of my car for environmental reasons to work. Like what happend that people don't understand the general politeness anymore. We used to be gentle to each other and that means that I don't force other people to listen to my videos as well.

The last time a young mother gave her little 3 year old child an iPad to watch videos. I'm not sure what pissed me off the most, that it was with sound or that the mother gave an iPad to her kid, because it's well studied how bad phones and tablets influence kids.

[-] 257m@sh.itjust.works 1 points 23 hours ago

I wish I could by train to work. I honestly wouldn't even mind the noise if I had the option to take a train. I bring my noise cancelling headphones everywhere so I doubt I would even hear it.

[-] Another_earthling@lemmy.world 1 points 21 hours ago

Noise cancelling bluetooth headphones are so awesome. I also use them all the time. It was just one day where I forgot them and it was a very bad day to not have them with me

[-] fmstrat@lemmy.nowsci.com 66 points 2 days ago

Hiked up to a ridge today. Guy up there smoking and playing a radio. Ugh.

[-] djsoren19@yiffit.net 11 points 1 day ago

If you have enough money to afford a modern cellphone, you can pay $20 for crappy bluetooth headphones like the rest of us. It's very interesting that it's never an otherwise very respectful and thoughtful individual whose playing their music loudly in a public space, there's always one or two other markers letting you know they're just always an asshole.

[-] Sam_Bass@lemmy.world 25 points 2 days ago

some folks firmly believe everyone and everything exists solely to entertain them snd they cannot fathom that anyone else wouldnt feel the same

load more comments
view more: next ›
this post was submitted on 05 Oct 2024
1462 points (97.8% liked)

memes

9868 readers
2304 users here now

Community rules

1. Be civilNo trolling, bigotry or other insulting / annoying behaviour

2. No politicsThis is non-politics community. For political memes please go to !politicalmemes@lemmy.world

3. No recent repostsCheck for reposts when posting a meme, you can only repost after 1 month

4. No botsNo bots without the express approval of the mods or the admins

5. No Spam/AdsNo advertisements or spam. This is an instance rule and the only way to live.

Sister communities

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS