submitted 2 days ago by OttoVonNoob@lemmy.ca to c/memes@lemmy.world
you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] JasonDJ@lemmy.zip 10 points 1 day ago

I completely agree.

But.

I fucking hate how I can't read about anything any more. Especially instructional things.

It's getting to the point that if there's something I want to learn about or research, I have to watch a video. And of course, I probably didn't bring headphones, because I wasn't planning on listening to or watching anything.

[-] Alenalda@lemmy.world 4 points 1 day ago

this is what closed captioning is for, ya know and the other thing

[-] Another_earthling@lemmy.world 4 points 1 day ago

I need headphones regularly for learning languages (Duolingo), learning coding, learning about physics etc So there are always Bluetooth headphones in my small bag.

There's no life without them

[-] Yggnar@lemmy.world 3 points 1 day ago

Then you wait until you get home or to an otherwise appropriate venue. No one wants to hear a tutorial they didn't ask for about putting up drywall on their commute home or in the grocery store.

[-] Lennnny@lemmy.world 1 points 1 day ago

Most yt channels have captions and transcripts. If you really are that desperate to learn how to install a French drain while on the bus, just grab the transcript and whack it into chatgpt to get an article version.

[-] verdigris@lemmy.ml 1 points 1 day ago

This is not really true in my experience. The vast majority of instructional videos and video essays are just repackaging a text resource, often just the list of references from Wikipedia. I think you're just falling for the veneer of professionalism that makes YouTubers popular, but remember it doesn't actually mean they know what they're talking about any more than a random forum poster. There are of course exceptions, but the glut of instructional videos is just because they're profitable, not because they're actually full of unique knowledge.

this post was submitted on 05 Oct 2024
1462 points (97.8% liked)

memes

9868 readers
2625 users here now

Community rules

1. Be civilNo trolling, bigotry or other insulting / annoying behaviour

2. No politicsThis is non-politics community. For political memes please go to !politicalmemes@lemmy.world

3. No recent repostsCheck for reposts when posting a meme, you can only repost after 1 month

4. No botsNo bots without the express approval of the mods or the admins

5. No Spam/AdsNo advertisements or spam. This is an instance rule and the only way to live.

Sister communities

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS