submitted 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago) by Zuzak@hexbear.net to c/chapotraphouse@hexbear.net

That's it. Our instance requires us to stop responding if you explicitly ask us to. It's right here buried in our Code of Conduct

Any discussions may be opted out of by disengaging.

In the past, this rule has only applied to the specific user you say it to. I'd like to suggest going forward that if someone on another instance uses it, we treat it as applying to all of us.

Unfortunately this rule wasn't communicated clearly before, so I'm making this post for visibility.

Edit: As the comments clarify, this has to be done in good faith, typically just a one word "disengage" comment. If you add more stuff to the discussion and then say "disengage" at the end, you're not disengaging, it's a way to put a stop to a toxic argument not to get the last word in.

top 50 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] cynesthesia@hexbear.net 105 points 1 year ago

another note for new hexbear users - our code of conduct also requires you DM the mods and say 'engaging target' every time you engage with a lib. this is important for logging your posts on the blockchain. you have to provide Proof of Posting or we don't get our xibucks/putinbucks.

[-] Mindfury@hexbear.net 64 points 1 year ago

some of you really don't get it

you can use multiple slurp juices on a single ape

load more comments (13 replies)
[-] Thordros@hexbear.net 45 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

FYI, this is what we mean when we keep linking to "PPB": we're making a record of the exchange so we can qualify for our Proof of Posting Bursary.

[-] BountifulEggnog@hexbear.net 31 points 1 year ago

Can I just DM you, and you can forward it to the relevant mods? Kind of a buddy program for new bears and old bears?

[-] cynesthesia@hexbear.net 37 points 1 year ago

yes this is called 'staking your posts'. the staker (me) takes a percentage cut of your xibucks and then the stakee (you) get the remainder. it's best to make every aspect of the free marketplace of ideas into a literal marketplace

[-] Zuzak@hexbear.net 27 points 1 year ago

Sorry, but the first couple times you actually have to send a copy of your posts to the appropriate embassy, through fax.

load more comments (1 replies)
[-] Milksteaks@midwest.social 30 points 1 year ago

Personally I prefer to get paid in tankie tokens or mao money

[-] Parsani@hexbear.net 30 points 1 year ago

100 yuan has been added to your account

mao-clap

load more comments (2 replies)
[-] GnastyGnuts@hexbear.net 93 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

You do have to actually disengage though, to be clear. No "I disengage, but also [fuck you, x,y,z, trying to get the last word]". If you're disengaging, it has to be mutually respected.

[-] UlyssesT@hexbear.net 69 points 1 year ago

The usual format is (wall of rage text) then "therefore I disengage." smuglord

[-] Finger@hexbear.net 59 points 1 year ago

no more half measures walter

[-] macabrett@hexbear.net 22 points 1 year ago

Wait a second I know how to stop you

Disengage, Mike

[-] Infamousblt@hexbear.net 46 points 1 year ago

Type "disengage" and then just posting a continuation of the rant on a different person's post entirely as a bit.

[-] SunriseParabellum@hexbear.net 37 points 1 year ago

Or, make an insulting post and then after they reply, edit it to "disengage" so they get a rule violation

[-] SerLava@hexbear.net 35 points 1 year ago

Some wrecker tried this on me once lol

[-] honeynut@lemm.ee 62 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

inhales 1984 CHINA BAD VUVUZELA NO IPHONE

Disengage

[-] Grownbravy@hexbear.net 57 points 1 year ago

“Hey tankie, DISENGAGE”

smuglord

ooooooooooooooh

[-] Tankiedesantski@hexbear.net 45 points 1 year ago

Libs when they find out that they also have to stop talking: agony-shivering

load more comments (3 replies)
[-] Kuori@hexbear.net 50 points 1 year ago

imo i feel like the disengage rule should really only apply amongst comrades. it will just be used to silence us otherwise and the libs have plenty of ways to do that without us handing them another

plus giving the libs a magic debate-winning word seems like it validates their worldview a bit too much, idk

load more comments (8 replies)
[-] PorkrollPosadist@hexbear.net 47 points 1 year ago

This came up as an alternative to blocking when we lacked a block feature. Since everybody has a block feature now, it probably just makes sense to use that, though there are cases where it is preferable to just tell someone to drop it instead of blocking them. Anyway, it is still the rule.

[-] kristina@hexbear.net 29 points 1 year ago

tbh if you blocked everyone that was ever annoying on hexbear this site would be a ghost town lmao

[-] FuckYourselfEndless@hexbear.net 45 points 1 year ago

I'm a 3rd gen Hexbear and we've evolved to not have this trait.

[-] YearOfTheCommieDesktop@hexbear.net 43 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

Yes! Great note for our new federated friends!

Additionally, the admins have clarified that this is not a free "get the last word" trick either though, so it doesn't count if you go "hey I want to disengage and also here's why you're a doodoo head"

Frankly, most people on other instances have seemed either content to ignore us (and optionally make inaccurate complaints behind our backs), or just as eager to get into a slapfight as our users, so idk if it will make a huge difference, but this will get us to leave you alone if you are in that scenario, and if it doesn't can be reported to our mods/admins

[-] Maoo@hexbear.net 35 points 1 year ago

This won't work in startrek.website folks. They're all about engage.

[-] ElGosso@hexbear.net 35 points 1 year ago

That's not what that means - it means if you don't want to argue with us, just stop arguing with us.

[-] Zuzak@hexbear.net 22 points 1 year ago

No, you can say "disengage" and then further replies are against the rules.

[-] SunriseParabellum@hexbear.net 28 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

That's stupid

Thordros, disengage

load more comments (18 replies)
[-] SerLava@hexbear.net 34 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

Liberals after posting disengage:

smuglord checkmate tankies

Nazis after posting disengage:

wall-talk

guys it says in your own rules that you have to disengage, and you keep on posting the fucking picture of the pig with the

[-] quarrk@hexbear.net 31 points 1 year ago
[-] quarrk@hexbear.net 29 points 1 year ago

Russian bots: walter-breakdown

[-] abc@hexbear.net 29 points 1 year ago

Stop screaming “disengage” at me, I don’t know what that word means and I will never stop posting

[-] Frank@hexbear.net 27 points 1 year ago

You seem to be the only person who cares about this, Zuzak. This is a rule that to my knowledge has never been mentioned or enforced. I didn't even know we had rules until last week and I've been here the whole three years. Pulling this out as a "gotcha" that everyone has to abide by because it's in a document no one knew existed, that is never or nearly never referenced, and that in no way guides or informs site culture is not helpful or productive.

If anything, we should be discussing revising the site rules to reflect current practice, now that some people know they exist.

[-] Dolores@hexbear.net 23 points 1 year ago

comments get removed & people have been banned for pursuing an argument after one user has 'disengaged'. you've really never seen this? it is in the rules, and i think there was even a clarification at a later date regarding people who'd say 'disengage' but continue the argument for the last word.

i guess it's fortunate you've never been in a shit-flinging hostile enough it's been needed but this is by no means a new rule or one that's gone unused/appreciated

load more comments (3 replies)
load more comments (8 replies)
[-] oregoncom@hexbear.net 27 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

This is dumb. There's basically no scenario where this would be used in good faith.

[-] McCainRBGcreampie@hexbear.net 27 points 1 year ago

I DO NOT WISH TO CREATE JOINDER WITH YOU

[-] SunriseParabellum@hexbear.net 25 points 1 year ago

Any discussions may be opted out of by disengaging.

I have always interpreted that as meaning YOU have to disengage, not that you can tell other people to "disengage". People here have tried to end an argument by telling other to disengage while they keep on arguing, which is just a cheap attempt to get the last word.

load more comments (6 replies)
[-] Awoo@hexbear.net 24 points 1 year ago

In the past, this rule has only applied to the specific user you say it to. I'd like to suggest going forward that if someone on another instance uses it, we treat it as applying to all of us.

Gonna be hard to get this since I don't think most of us are down for reading a 200-1000 comment thread before commenting when the disengage request might be buried somewhere in it.

[-] CliffordBigRedDog@hexbear.net 24 points 1 year ago

Thats why i play rogue and can disengage as a bonus action

[-] AssortedBiscuits@hexbear.net 24 points 1 year ago

The corollary is that bad faith disengages don't count as disengages.

[-] PKMKII@hexbear.net 23 points 1 year ago
load more comments
view more: next ›
this post was submitted on 16 Aug 2023
155 points (100.0% liked)

chapotraphouse

13461 readers
919 users here now

Banned? DM Wmill to appeal.

No anti-nautilism posts. See: Eco-fascism Primer

Vaush posts go in the_dunk_tank