submitted 6 months ago* (last edited 6 months ago) by Egon@hexbear.net to c/the_dunk_tank@hexbear.net
top 50 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] Weedian@hexbear.net 94 points 6 months ago

totally rational that an outspoken critic would kill themself before completing their deposition

[-] Egon@hexbear.net 69 points 6 months ago

I know that if I'd dedicated my retirement to doing a thing, then I'd kill myself right as the thing was finally seeming to be gotten done

[-] Egon@hexbear.net 60 points 6 months ago

"Welp gentlemen this has been a productive day, we have almost finished my life's work. Time to go shoot my brains out in a motel parking lot, making all the work be worthless. Good evening"

screm-a I am begging smug redditor debatelords to please just fucking once actually THINK. This is terminal "both-sides" brain

[-] barrbaric@hexbear.net 54 points 6 months ago

(CW: Suicide) Even if we were to assume it was a suicide, it'd be because of the stress from having to deal with Boeing. It's safe to say they killed him regardless of who pulled the trigger.

[-] Findom_DeLuise@hexbear.net 32 points 6 months ago

Have done maintenance work on Boeing aircraft before. This tracks.

[-] Hestia@hexbear.net 48 points 6 months ago

Occram's razor tells me he was murdered. OP is just a lib suffering from cognitive dissonance.

[-] Adkml@hexbear.net 33 points 6 months ago

Seriously thentwo options are:

1. This person who clearly had the motive means and opportunity to report illegal things at Boeing knowing it would risk his employment got the chance to do that but instead killed himself halfway through doing that without any indication of why.

2. The giant corporation killed somebody who threatened their profits.

[-] Nakoichi@hexbear.net 47 points 6 months ago
[-] Egon@hexbear.net 54 points 6 months ago

No the rational and simple answer is to believe that a multi-billion dollar company that doesn't give a shit about safety standards would ever deign to do a thing that has happened so often before. The rational and simple answer is that a man who has dedicated his retirement to this very thing would kill himself with a gun in a truck in a watched parking lot on the third day of depositions.

[-] EelBolshevikism@hexbear.net 46 points 6 months ago* (last edited 6 months ago)

Occam’s razor literally says that it was murder though. It would have to be more complex and weird otherwise

[-] WhatDoYouMeanPodcast@hexbear.net 30 points 6 months ago

Yeah, we have documentaries about how tobacco and big oil do shit like this. Steven Donziger had his whole fight with a private court putting him in house arrest for years. It's kinda weird that Boeing would do it, but not beyond the pale. Big business just loves to assassinate is Occam's razor.

[-] EelBolshevikism@hexbear.net 14 points 6 months ago

Occam’s razor is when someone decides to shoot themselves in their stomach and their head (if you get the reference you get the reference)

[-] Evilphd666@hexbear.net 40 points 6 months ago

Very cool "War Takes". Defense contrator Boeing thanks you for your service im-doing-my-part

[-] Dirt_Owl@hexbear.net 37 points 6 months ago

Ah yes, these things are always for crazy people to believe, except when US enemies are concerned, then it's totally not a conspiracy.

Funny that

[-] SoyViking@hexbear.net 32 points 6 months ago

Occam's razor says the Russians killed him with the Havana syndrome raygun because he was going to post a picture of Xi Jinping as Winnie the Pooh

[-] Awoo@hexbear.net 30 points 6 months ago* (last edited 6 months ago)

Occam's razor for this event is very obviously that he was murdered though?

Like, that's literally the first thought 99% of people have had. It is the most obvious explanation. If you're applying Occam's Razor here then you're surely supporting that position.

[-] buckykat@hexbear.net 25 points 6 months ago

The thing about Occam's razor is that what seems to be the simplest explanation depends entirely on how you subjectively frame the issue in question. If you think of it as "a guy killed himself" vs "a powerful and widespread conspiracy of Boeing and the cops conspired to kill him, make it look like a suicide, and covered up all evidence" then the suicide option seems "simpler"

But if you frame it correctly as "a whistleblower who was about to testify against a billion dollar company decided that right then would be a great time to suddenly and without warning commit suicide" vs "he got got" the latter is clearly simpler.

Simplicity is not really an objective measure of anything.

[-] M68040@hexbear.net 18 points 6 months ago

I mean, i dunno. I was indirectly related to a Boeing project manager for a while - and let me tell you - I could very easily believe that someone at Boeing just having that much of a stick up their ass about the whole situation is one of the simpler explanations here.

[-] iridaniotter@hexbear.net 17 points 6 months ago* (last edited 6 months ago)

Eh, if Occam's Razor wasnt a thing they would just come up with another BS excuse to uphold the status quo

[-] Tachanka@hexbear.net 16 points 6 months ago* (last edited 6 months ago)

War Takes was invited on WTYP by Liam Anderson, and after watching the episode with him in it, I was immediately enamored with how shitty and neoliberal his twitter account was. A banner image that features a US tank with a socdem rose on it next to his fursona, and endless tropes like "if you think a CIA did a coup in bolivia, you are denying the wholesome agency of the people who overthrew the authoritarian for having 4 terms" and "the online tankies whine about azov because they love vladolf putler."

side note: occam's razor is useful for things like "does the earth revolve around the sun or vice versa?" not messy political situations.

i mean look at this shit outright justifying what NATO did to yugoslavia:

EDIT: Chronically bad takes

[-] Egon@hexbear.net 18 points 6 months ago

He was on WTYP and associates with Liam? Why am I not surprised lol. Can't stand that guy.

[-] PaulSmackage@hexbear.net 5 points 6 months ago

Overuses the hell out of the word "cynical', too. It's in basically every second tweet. This guy sucks.

[-] LeZero@hexbear.net 15 points 6 months ago* (last edited 6 months ago)

I believe Boeing, as a long standing military industrial complex major player, used their dog (the Federal Government) to whack the guy

Can't prove it, but that's what I believe

[-] Sephitard9001@hexbear.net 15 points 6 months ago* (last edited 6 months ago)

As opposed to anybody critical of Putin dying. That's always a conspiracy/assassination because duh obviously. Occam's razor means the things I'm conditioned to believe are more simple and likely to be true, dumb dumb

[-] Pluto@hexbear.net 12 points 6 months ago* (last edited 6 months ago)

"'Occam's razor' is a psyop invented by the CIA to terminate thoughts critical of the US regime"

Is it? At least how it's used nowadays?

I'm really interested in logic and logical techniques and logical fallacies.

Just want to know if the OP is just meming or if they're referencing something.

[-] combat_brandonism@hexbear.net 15 points 6 months ago

Pretty sure just memeing, also their pronouns aren't he/him comrade.

[-] Pluto@hexbear.net 8 points 6 months ago

Thanks for telling me the pronouns!

[-] combat_brandonism@hexbear.net 9 points 6 months ago

ty for editing the top comment

[-] Pluto@hexbear.net 9 points 6 months ago

No problem.

I feel embarrassed getting the pronouns wrong when they're right there next to the name and I use "he" automatically sometimes.

So embarrassing and rude.

My bad, everyone.

[-] Egon@hexbear.net 7 points 6 months ago* (last edited 6 months ago)

No worries, I had to de-masculinize my language too, once I became aware of it. It's very normal to default to "he" when no gender is assumed. It doesn't get easier when my account name is a typical masculine name (I chose it as a reference, but now my avatar is changed).
It's very nice of you to be embarrassed about it, but you don't have to be, as long as you're doing your best ♥️

[-] Pluto@hexbear.net 6 points 6 months ago

To be honest, I do use "they" more often now (compared to a year ago) because I was told that, if you don't know the gender, just use "they."

So I'm doubly embarrassed lol

But thanks! And my mistake, of course.

Oh gotcha. And thanks for telling me.

[-] Egon@hexbear.net 12 points 6 months ago

Just memeing. I don't think it's invented by the CIA, I am just infuriated by the fact that any critical thought about our system gets met with a ready-made thought terminating cliché, and the worst of the bunch is, to me, these short hands like Occam's Razor, which I exclusively see used by fart smellers thinking they're smart fellas.

Tbh, I feel like people abuse Occam's Razor anyway.

Even if it's a logical thing to use, the way it's used is, err, illogical.

[-] Egon@hexbear.net 4 points 6 months ago

Yeah that's mainly my.issue with it. With all the rhetorical and deductive tools really. I've never seen "ad hominem" used in good faith, and I've never seen "Occam's razor" invoked in an argument for a conspiracy. It's always done by dumb redditors thinking they're being clever and like Sherlock Holmes

[-] Pluto@hexbear.net 4 points 6 months ago

Tbh, a lot of things are "ad hominems;" people do it all the time in arguments and I think it's wrong, but it's a logical fallacy with a bias when it's ever invoked.

"Whataboutism" is an argument that's still invoked, but us MLs know that one well lmao

[-] Egon@hexbear.net 4 points 6 months ago

Oh I'm not against the fallacies per se, just like I'm not against the concept of deductive reasoning/tools. I just never see them get used right or by unobnoxious people. And hominem is the Hall of Famer to me, because it's just become synonymous with "you insulted me" when you can insult people without it being an ad hominem easily.

[-] Pluto@hexbear.net 4 points 6 months ago

Right, and to be honest, with the discourse on the Internet in general, they've become "thought-terminating epithets," as my friend likes to say.

load more comments (2 replies)
[-] DyingOfDeBordom@hexbear.net 5 points 6 months ago

fellas

Fellers would make it rhyme better with smellers btw

[-] gobble_ghoul@hexbear.net 3 points 6 months ago

Works either way for people with non-rhotic accents!

load more comments (4 replies)
[-] idkmybffjoeysteel@hexbear.net 11 points 6 months ago

Oh yeah totally the more reasonable explanation is just that the stress of the court case got to him, literally.

[-] Hello_Kitty_enjoyer@hexbear.net 9 points 6 months ago

conspiracybrain is always right, except for when it interacts with mayobrain, which is always wrong

mayobrain distributes its truth value along the whole statement, similar to a negative sign. For example:

• A small group of people in the US government did 9/11 and invented COVID-19 (this is a true statement)
  • Jews/Chinese people did 9/11 and invented COVID-19 (this is a false statement)
[-] Vncredleader@hexbear.net 6 points 6 months ago

Isnt this that WTYP guest? I mean Alice does subscribe to the idea that the US couldn't do something like 9/11 or JFK and you are stupid if you think they are smart enough to pull it off

load more comments
view more: next ›
this post was submitted on 12 Mar 2024
137 points (100.0% liked)

the_dunk_tank

15897 readers
328 users here now

It's the dunk tank.

This is where you come to post big-brained hot takes by chuds, libs, or even fellow leftists, and tear them to itty-bitty pieces with precision dunkstrikes.

Rule 1: All posts must include links to the subject matter, and no identifying information should be redacted.

Rule 2: If your source is a reactionary website, please use archive.is instead of linking directly.

Rule 3: No sectarianism.

Rule 4: TERF/SWERFs Not Welcome

Rule 5: No ableism of any kind (that includes stuff like libt*rd)

Rule 6: Do not post fellow hexbears.

Rule 7: Do not individually target other instances' admins or moderators.

Rule 8: The subject of a post cannot be low hanging fruit, that is comments/posts made by a private person that have low amount of upvotes/likes/views. Comments/Posts made on other instances that are accessible from hexbear are an exception to this. Posts that do not meet this requirement can be posted to !shitreactionariessay@lemmygrad.ml

Rule 9: if you post ironic rage bait im going to make a personal visit to your house to make sure you never make this mistake again

founded 4 years ago
MODERATORS