submitted 8 months ago* (last edited 8 months ago) by BurgerPunk@hexbear.net to c/the_dunk_tank@hexbear.net

What progress could they possibly be thinking of?

And then there's the classic lib thought process that criticizing or not voting for Dems means voting for Trump.

Link: https://hexbear.net/comment/4460883

top 44 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] Yurt_Owl@hexbear.net 62 points 8 months ago

The abortion access argument is fucking hilarious considering how its going under A DEMOCRAT GOVERNMENT

[-] BurgerPunk@hexbear.net 39 points 8 months ago

Right, and Biden Admin has done absolutely nothing about it. Except of course say its a reason why we need to vote Dem, so they can keep doing nothing

[-] Self_Sealing_Stem_Bolt@hexbear.net 26 points 8 months ago* (last edited 8 months ago)

Libs will tell you its because not enough dems are in power, completely ignoring all the majorities and even obamas Super Majority where they still didn't codify it. Liberals are professional losers.

[-] CTHlurker@hexbear.net 13 points 8 months ago

It gets even funnier when you have the leftist superpower of remembering what happened 2 years ago. In this case it was the decision literally being leaked to the public, which meant that Biden and his administration literally had a whole ass month to prepare for a decision that they KNEW were happening. And what did they do? They sent out a bunch of emails asking for money.

[-] beef_curds@hexbear.net 51 points 8 months ago

What progress could they possibly be thinking of?

Having to bring your own bag to kroger. It's the incrementalist solve for climate change.

[-] BurgerPunk@hexbear.net 37 points 8 months ago

Decades of progress right there

[-] PKMKII@hexbear.net 30 points 8 months ago

Complete tangent, but am I the only one who’s noticed that most grocers took the switch to reusable bags as an excuse to no longer have employees bag the groceries and instead have customers do it?

[-] Weedian@hexbear.net 18 points 8 months ago

They replaced all the cashiers with self checkouts

[-] wopazoo@hexbear.net 11 points 8 months ago* (last edited 8 months ago)

obviously it's so that you can forget to bring your own reusable bag and be forced to purchase a new $3 reusable bag from them angery

[-] alexandra_kollontai@hexbear.net 9 points 8 months ago
[-] envis10n@hexbear.net 2 points 8 months ago

Our local grocer has a "no backpacks" sign at the entrance.

[-] ProfessorOwl_PhD@hexbear.net 2 points 8 months ago

Sounds like an American thing, as far back as I remember employees would only pack for you if you asked (i.e had a disability) in the UK and Europe.

[-] wopazoo@hexbear.net 12 points 8 months ago

WASHINGTON—Putting forth a less ambitious legislative package in an effort to secure enough votes for passage in the Senate, President Joe Biden announced Wednesday that his original $2 trillion climate plan would be replaced with a scaled-back proposal to purchase a single reusable grocery bag. “For those members of the Democratic caucus who have demanded a more slimmed-down, manageable approach to the catastrophic effects of climate change, I believe we’ve finally reached a compromise in the form of this handy canvas tote bag, which should hold up through years of regular trips to the supermarket,” Biden told reporters in the White House briefing room as he gestured toward a screen that displayed a cotton bag featuring an illustration of a woman and text that read “Jane Austen Is My Homegirl,” an item administration sources confirmed was available from CafePress. “This proposal brings the cost of the plan down to just under $10 plus shipping. While some of you may be concerned this bill doesn’t go far enough, it’s at least a start, and our hope is that in future congressional sessions we will be able to appropriate funding for even more tote bags. Failing to act on the climate crisis is simply not an option. But I believe that as long as nobody spills inside the bag or forgets it on the bus, this new plan will bring us one step closer to reaching our environmental impact goals.” At press time, sources reported the proposal had been slimmed down once more after Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV) insisted the reusable bag be dropped and replaced with a more affordable program that would allow for the purchase of a single disposable plastic bag.

https://www.theonion.com/biden-scales-down-2-trillion-climate-plan-to-single-re-1847901494

[-] BodyBySisyphus@hexbear.net 46 points 8 months ago

What do you mean? Biden's made plenty of progress on climate change. From expanding drilling leases on federal lands to building out the LNG infrastructure, which is likely contributing hidden emissions through methane leakage, to making sure that the US is not meeting its share of the emissions reductions necessary to keep the planet under 2 C (i.e., the threshold at which we lose virtually all of our shallow-water coral reefs), he's zealously guarded America's status as the world's #1 climate change contributor.

Oh and he passed an EV tax credit that's definitely going to mitigate all that, I almost forgot.

[-] BurgerPunk@hexbear.net 39 points 8 months ago

brump we are making massive progress on climate change. Its advanced so much

[-] BodyBySisyphus@hexbear.net 31 points 8 months ago

biden-rember "The climate's changing faster now than any time since the Chicxulub impact! That takes a man who can get things done!"

[-] ReadFanon@hexbear.net 17 points 8 months ago

which is likely contributing hidden emissions through methane leakage

Undoubtedly.

There is no gas infrastructure which does not leak. It's theoretically possible but it's an impractical proposition in real terms and in terms of cost.

Reminder that methane is about 150x as potent as carbon dioxide over its 11-ish year lifespan in the atmosphere before degrading into, you guessed it, carbon dioxide.

Good thing that the next 11 years aren't the crunch time for climate change, right?

[-] squirrel@hexbear.net 12 points 8 months ago
[-] SkingradGuard@hexbear.net 11 points 8 months ago

I love squirrels they're cute 🥺

[-] squirrel@hexbear.net 11 points 8 months ago

🌰🐿️🎄

[-] ElChapoDeChapo@hexbear.net 8 points 8 months ago

A few years ago I was taking a nap in the afternoon sun on the back porch and when I woke up there was a squirrel next to my bare foot with its tail touching me, as soon as I woke up they got scared and ran away

[-] Great_Leader_Is_Dead@hexbear.net 46 points 8 months ago

Protecting abortions rights was one of the more compelling "harm reduction" arguments I heard from pro-electoralism progressives, enough to get me to vote hillary-contempt.

But that ship has clearly sailed on the federal level, the DNC has done Jack shit to codify abortion rights on the federal level. So the real focus now is on the state level. And I don't think who POTUS is really matters much there, Vermont and California aren't gonna shut down planned parenthood just cuz DC said so. So yeah if you wanna keep fighting at the state level go for it, but it's already a lost fight at the federal.

[-] FnordPrefect@hexbear.net 43 points 8 months ago

the-democrat: "As America's left party, we take great pride in doing our best to fulfil Lenin's glorious vision of 'decades where nothing happens'!"

[-] plinky@hexbear.net 35 points 8 months ago

0 progress over years since 80s. Someone puts aluminium can collector at whitehouse: nerd thats more than any progress they've done before

[-] Gosplan14_the_Third@hexbear.net 8 points 8 months ago

The White House used to have Solar Panels installed in the 70s, so even in that tiny category it's a regression lol

[-] TheSpectreOfGay@hexbear.net 26 points 8 months ago

wish libs could figure out that the alternative to voting biden is not voting, not voting for trump

but they're actually too stupid to consider that

[-] BurgerPunk@hexbear.net 22 points 8 months ago

i-voted real picture of the inside of a libs mind

[-] envis10n@hexbear.net 5 points 8 months ago

Oh no! It's the actual woke mind virus!

[-] CthulhusIntern@hexbear.net 15 points 8 months ago

Not voting for Biden is voting for Trump.

Voting for Green Party is voting for Trump.

Voting for PSL is voting for Trump.

Voting for anyone except Biden is voting for Trump.

Unless Biden wins, then voting Libertarian is voting for Biden.

[-] barrbaric@hexbear.net 10 points 8 months ago

Actually it's still her turn. hillary

[-] envis10n@hexbear.net 5 points 8 months ago

Fuck it. I'm writing in HRC this cycle and you can't stop me.

[-] EmmaGoldman@hexbear.net 23 points 8 months ago

Progress is when the backslide isn't instant and complete.

Progress is when we don't go to bed where all is normal and then in the morning we wake up to hey-nonny-nonny music in a peasant shack covered in pig shit. Progress is when we are not surrounded by 9 starving children that claim to be ours but of which we have no memory. Progress is when the hey-nonny-nonny music that woke us up is not the arrival of the Archduke come to take our strongest children to fight against the frightful invaders with inexplicable technolo-guy (US citizens internally displaced from a blue state who have been pushed out due to rent quintupling as half of the country was mystically transformed into a Medieval Times.)

[-] DragonBallZinn@hexbear.net 21 points 8 months ago* (last edited 8 months ago)

Biden is the president and he still lost.

Democrats do nothing but lose even on the rare occasion they're allowed in power. Anything to the left of Hitler has lost every single culture war since 1980 lmao.

[-] WeedReference420@hexbear.net 18 points 8 months ago

There's going to be US and UK elections this year where "You have to vote for a dogshit centrist candidate who will change absolutely nothing or le evil conservative populist will get in!!1" will be the constant talking point of both of them marx-doomer

[-] GrouchyGrouse@hexbear.net 17 points 8 months ago

Criticism of Biden is not an endorsement of Trump. For God's sake.

[-] CyborgMarx@hexbear.net 15 points 8 months ago

Lemmy shitlibs have a particular posting style

It's called just making shit up

[-] Xx_Aru_xX@hexbear.net 7 points 8 months ago

a technique mastered by reddit

[-] RedQuestionAsker2@hexbear.net 15 points 8 months ago

Curious! You call yourself BurgerPunk, yet you recoil at the sight of burger brains very-intelligent

[-] GarbageShoot@hexbear.net 10 points 8 months ago

I think BurgerPunk is a subtype of dieselpunk while burger brains are more biopunk

[-] SkingradGuard@hexbear.net 11 points 8 months ago

For some reason I imagined it being that only American fast food corpos run the world and have developed sentient burgers as a police force/army

[-] GarbageShoot@hexbear.net 6 points 8 months ago* (last edited 8 months ago)

Looking into it thonk

[-] buh@hexbear.net 10 points 8 months ago

This is the least important election of our lives, a record that will be broken by every subsequent election

[-] chauncey@hexbear.net 9 points 8 months ago

Never stop reminding them that abortion rights were lost while Democrats controlled the presidency and Congress.

Biden is bending over backwards to funnel weapons to Israel. I don't remember him going the extra mile to protect abortion rights at all.

this post was submitted on 11 Jan 2024
78 points (100.0% liked)

the_dunk_tank

15893 readers
338 users here now

It's the dunk tank.

This is where you come to post big-brained hot takes by chuds, libs, or even fellow leftists, and tear them to itty-bitty pieces with precision dunkstrikes.

Rule 1: All posts must include links to the subject matter, and no identifying information should be redacted.

Rule 2: If your source is a reactionary website, please use archive.is instead of linking directly.

Rule 3: No sectarianism.

Rule 4: TERF/SWERFs Not Welcome

Rule 5: No ableism of any kind (that includes stuff like libt*rd)

Rule 6: Do not post fellow hexbears.

Rule 7: Do not individually target other instances' admins or moderators.

Rule 8: The subject of a post cannot be low hanging fruit, that is comments/posts made by a private person that have low amount of upvotes/likes/views. Comments/Posts made on other instances that are accessible from hexbear are an exception to this. Posts that do not meet this requirement can be posted to !shitreactionariessay@lemmygrad.ml

Rule 9: if you post ironic rage bait im going to make a personal visit to your house to make sure you never make this mistake again

founded 4 years ago
MODERATORS