https://twitter.com/rabbitfordinner/status/1740609135044083919

this mf thinks we still have medieval walled cities, like dude, you can literally just... walk out of the city. I mean, yeah, you can indeed disrupt logistics, but there's a pretty big gap between "trucks can't get in to deliver supplies" and "entire population is trapped inside of the city". Also railway transport isn't real I guess

also love the idea of completely destroying supply routes into the city with... backhoes and gravel. I guess city folk don't have any construction equipment of their own to clear and repair their roads. Also I guess the roads are just going to be conveniently completely empty for however many hours it takes you to block them, because, uh...

do an area study nerd

top 50 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] pooh@hexbear.net 76 points 9 months ago

The idea that white rural chuds completely control the food supply is laughable. The people who are actually growing and picking the food are the same ones chuds cry about “invading the US”.

[-] 7bicycles@hexbear.net 52 points 9 months ago

Food Production is pretty much thought of as a transient property where if you live near it, it means somehow you're part of it. Pretty global trend, too, real odd shit. Whenever I press these people on it it's usually revealed they think of themselves as infrastructure providers for actual farmers by way of making sure there is enough money to maintain roads or keep a supermarket afloat or something

[-] daisy@hexbear.net 26 points 9 months ago

The obvious solution is for urban groups to offer material support to rural farm workers to "encourage" a "change in management" from the current rural farm owners to rural farm worker co-ops.

[-] RyanGosling@hexbear.net 10 points 9 months ago* (last edited 9 months ago)

Migrant workers are just secret white guys. When the civil war starts, they just rip off their mask and reveal themselves as aryans in hiding

[-] kristina@hexbear.net 9 points 9 months ago

what is hydroponics for 500, alex

[-] TheCaconym@hexbear.net 50 points 9 months ago

"I'm hungry Papa, why can't we leave the city to try to find some food in the country side ?"

"The roads, son... they have done a number on them. So many potholes. We are doomed."

"But can't we just wal..."

"POTHOLES, son. It's hopeless. Time to eat the neighbours"

load more comments (1 replies)
[-] zifnab25@hexbear.net 48 points 9 months ago

This guy sat in traffic during rush hour one time and decided he could do a Bigger Than 9-11 by spilling some dirt onto I-45

[-] 7bicycles@hexbear.net 29 points 9 months ago

He kind of has a point in the carbrained sense where the only transportation method is car. Not in the civil war style scenario but otherwise you'd need surprisingly few people to basically throw an entire cities car transportation network into a multi day gridlock

[-] Zoift@hexbear.net 42 points 9 months ago

you'd need surprisingly few people to basically throw an entire cities car transportation network into a multi day gridlock

Back in 2006 some students from Georgia Tech shut down Atlanta for 12 hours by driving the speed limit, side-by-side, around the circular I-285 Atlanta bypass during rush hour. Got traffic to snake all the way around the circle and form a car ouroborous. They tried to charge the kids with conspiracy & domestic terrorism & shit at first, because 2006, but most they could get them for was obstruction of traffic.

So yeah, proof of concept at least.

[-] 7bicycles@hexbear.net 28 points 9 months ago

Lmao, took them all of 4 people to do it.

But yeah, pretty much. Disrupt traffic flow at a major intersection a bit by your usual non-enforced traffic infractions like double parking inconveniently or missing much or all of the green phase due to being on your smartphone or similar, 3 other people do the same at feeding arterial roads for like 10 minutes until all the impatient carbrains start trying to cheat their way onto non-cleared intersections and ta-da, gridlock that's now become a massive headache to unfuck. x10 if you can convince someone to get into a minor fender bender after it and then start arguing and taking lots and lots of photos on the road. Takes like 4 guys with all of the conviction of "maybe get a ticket" to pull it off, I'm genuinely surprised no one ever tried it.

[-] GalaxyBrain@hexbear.net 11 points 9 months ago

There's some push button crosswalks around a major bottleneck bridge where I am. I'm certain 3 people just crossing the streets over and over would bring traffic to a halt

[-] 420blazeit69@hexbear.net 12 points 9 months ago

Have any articles on this?

[-] Zoift@hexbear.net 18 points 9 months ago

Looks like AJC doesn't have a working archive, dead links. But i did find the student film they made about doing it.

[-] pumpchilienthusiast@hexbear.net 7 points 9 months ago

this is less an indictment of cities than it is of cars

[-] rootsbreadandmakka@hexbear.net 40 points 9 months ago* (last edited 9 months ago)

This is my favorite take. Literally living in looney tunes world. I feel like this would be a felix bit. You’d think for a people who have their entire lives revolve around cars, they’d have a better understanding of how roads work

[-] 420blazeit69@hexbear.net 38 points 9 months ago

Classic "behold my brilliant plan that doesn't even anticipate the first reaction from the other side"

[-] MemesAreTheory@hexbear.net 30 points 9 months ago

"yeah, so, they're gonna try to bring a tractor up here to dig up the roads or whatever. your job is to shoot anyone in a tractor approaching from that direction. Don't worry too much about it, though. We've got a concrete plant ready to fill a truck and patch the hole in less than 3 hours. This supply line is pretty important so we're not going to just throw up our hands and give up due to a little bit of infrastructure damage."

[-] Wheaties@hexbear.net 35 points 9 months ago

i'm gonna keep banging this drum:

If your food primarily comes from a grocery store, you live in a city.

"But we drive two hours to the grocery store, we're rural!"

Still go to the grocery, though. Nearly two centuries of industrialization has uprooted the systems and relationships of rural life, replacing it with urbanized market relations and the same dependency to industrially processed foodstuffs. In the United States today, there is not so much an "urban/rural" divide as there is a sliding scale of high-to-(very, very)low urban density. Pockets of rural life still exist, but they are the dwindling exception. By and large, our food comes in square plastic packages and we all pump petroleum to get to it. Some of us just go through more petrol in the process.

As for this tweet, there's a decent chance Wes here has mistaken their suburban satellite for a genuinely remote (but still undeniably urbanized) small town.

[-] pumpchilienthusiast@hexbear.net 21 points 9 months ago

no bro I am extremely self-reliant and independent as I drive my Mexican-made "US" pick-up truck down the highway subsidized by folks in blue states/cities, burning oil from the middle-east to buy food harvested by migrant workers and shipped from around the world at the local sam's club. I am a rock, bro, I am an island unto myself

[-] chungusamonugs@hexbear.net 35 points 9 months ago

Even if we accept his ludicrous proposition as fact, he's forgetting that many cities have literal airports in the city limits. I suppose you could "gravel off" the runways, but how are you gonna get into the city if you just walled it off, stupid??

Incidentally, remember the anti-vaxx trucker rally where a bunch of white rural chuds with big machinery talked like they were gonna run down DC, but just drove around the beltway for 6 hours getting middle fingers and then left?

[-] mushroom@hexbear.net 6 points 9 months ago

the antivaxx trucker rally in canada cost the country billions of dollars. if people in the US were willing to give their lives or freedom to fuck up the infrastructure they could do a lot of damage. maybe it wouldn't be permanent but it would be enough to hurt or even kill a lot of people in the process

[-] Comp4@hexbear.net 34 points 9 months ago

sisyphus Blocking the only way into Washington DC

[-] keepcarrot@hexbear.net 31 points 9 months ago

Sorry, my pathfinding does not register non-road paths.

[-] the_itsb@hexbear.net 28 points 9 months ago

dude has never taken the scenic route a single time in his entire life

[-] FloridaBoi@hexbear.net 25 points 9 months ago

Mfer literally needs to park his car and take a stroll

[-] Poison_Ivy@hexbear.net 28 points 9 months ago

Coastal cities have infinite ways to leave if you have ships

[-] Wakmrow@hexbear.net 13 points 9 months ago

What if they dump boulders in the ocean though did you think of that? Fucking lib brain

[-] Poison_Ivy@hexbear.net 7 points 9 months ago

Then we launch from the new harbor you just built

[-] ShimmeringKoi@hexbear.net 25 points 9 months ago

Me when some random erects a 5 foot wall of gravel and wet concrete at the end of my block (I have literally never heard of a hammer) oooaaaaaaauhhh

[-] StellarTabi@hexbear.net 24 points 9 months ago

lmao dude so rural he doesn't even know cities are so big they have multiple exits per mile.

[-] gumshoe@hexbear.net 23 points 9 months ago

isn’t this the plot to the tom hardy batman movie

[-] FloridaBoi@hexbear.net 31 points 9 months ago

Yes but at least in that movie Gotham is an island and the bridges and tunnels were blown up or blockaded

[-] alcoholicorn@hexbear.net 16 points 9 months ago

Also the NYPD/army were shooting anyone who tried to escape.

[-] kristina@hexbear.net 21 points 9 months ago

my dude really thinks every town just has two roads with a four way stop

[-] Aryuproudomenowdaddy@hexbear.net 21 points 9 months ago

Gotta appreciate dude just consistently doubling down saying that redneck snipers will be shooting at anyone who goes to clear the roads.

[-] SpiderFarmer@hexbear.net 19 points 9 months ago

Tbf, some ablebodied cagers can't even comprehend walking between buildings without getting in their car first.

[-] ShimmeringKoi@hexbear.net 18 points 9 months ago

Doing wonders for my thesis that anyone who starts a reply with "Ehhh," is about to say some dumb shit laden with unexamined ideology

[-] roux@hexbear.net 17 points 9 months ago

8 Lane Freeway. VS. A Back Hoe! Who would win? You decide! Epic Redneck Battles of History!

[-] Bnova@hexbear.net 6 points 9 months ago

There's a point in San Diego where the freeway going South has 13 lanes. The notion that you could shutdown a city with a dump truck is really damn stupid. Sure maybe in some red state 3rd rate city with 80k people but not most places.

[-] Egon@hexbear.net 17 points 9 months ago

The dude is kind of in the right. Most cities have a select few main "arteries" of trafic which people move in by - There'll be a few highways, some raillines and some rivers. A dedicated group could probably shut down most of those inlets, provided there's no one to stop them. You would still be able to drive to and fro the city though, just not in large convoys or in the direct passageway.
But like... Sieges were dificult in the middle ages, and cities haven't gotten smaller since then.

[-] queermunist@lemmy.ml 14 points 9 months ago

Half the city drives off road vehicles anyway, so uh, lol

[-] Ufot@hexbear.net 13 points 9 months ago

This sounds like a really stupid concept when applied to California, which produces the most food in the US.

Sounds like a really stupid concept in general.

You're just going to siege a city while ignoring the other cities nearby?

Cities aren't isolated.

[-] RyanGosling@hexbear.net 12 points 9 months ago

All you gotta do is stand on the capital for 50 seconds, then you control the entire state, it’s government, military, and treasury.

[-] NewAcctWhoDis@hexbear.net 13 points 9 months ago

I like when people give examples where weather made it hard to get to work as of that's equivalent to being under siege.

[-] JamesConeZone@hexbear.net 12 points 9 months ago

Placing hot apple pies in key areas so drivers float from cars via smell floating, causing a 1,400 car wreck to shut down an interstate

[-] CrushKillDestroySwag@hexbear.net 12 points 9 months ago* (last edited 9 months ago)

In the Civil War, both the Union and the Confederacy went out into rural areas and easily crushed all resistance to the regimes in Washington and Richmond. It happened so quickly that barely any history book talks about it.

If a Civil War breaks out in the modern US the same shit would happen because the real conflict would be Texas and California fighting over the remaining drinking water.

[-] mushroom@hexbear.net 6 points 9 months ago

people are dismissing this because of the source but it really wouldn't take too much to fuck up the infrastructure in most american cities for a long time

[-] Lemmygradwontallowme@hexbear.net 6 points 9 months ago

Don't be too harsh on them, there's such things as narrow alleyways and roads, plus they probably haven't left their gated community so I guess they assume this projects to daily life...

agony

load more comments
view more: next ›
this post was submitted on 29 Dec 2023
107 points (100.0% liked)

the_dunk_tank

15896 readers
477 users here now

It's the dunk tank.

This is where you come to post big-brained hot takes by chuds, libs, or even fellow leftists, and tear them to itty-bitty pieces with precision dunkstrikes.

Rule 1: All posts must include links to the subject matter, and no identifying information should be redacted.

Rule 2: If your source is a reactionary website, please use archive.is instead of linking directly.

Rule 3: No sectarianism.

Rule 4: TERF/SWERFs Not Welcome

Rule 5: No ableism of any kind (that includes stuff like libt*rd)

Rule 6: Do not post fellow hexbears.

Rule 7: Do not individually target other instances' admins or moderators.

Rule 8: The subject of a post cannot be low hanging fruit, that is comments/posts made by a private person that have low amount of upvotes/likes/views. Comments/Posts made on other instances that are accessible from hexbear are an exception to this. Posts that do not meet this requirement can be posted to !shitreactionariessay@lemmygrad.ml

Rule 9: if you post ironic rage bait im going to make a personal visit to your house to make sure you never make this mistake again

founded 4 years ago
MODERATORS