submitted 1 year ago by jgrim to c/neurodivergent

If I need to concentrate, I must have music or a conversation in the background on TV or something. Does anyone else need something else pulling for their attention when they're concentrating? My mind will quickly wonder if I don't have music.

top 9 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] richyawyingtmv@lemmy.ml 10 points 1 year ago

Opposite here. Can't concentrate unless there's silence.

[-] frogfruit 1 points 1 year ago

Same but I have tinnitus so I need white noise, such as a fan, going. Music is too distracting even without lyrics.

[-] Mojojojo1993@sh.itjust.works 4 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

Same. I use sound to block my internal thought process. Without music my mind keeps getting swept up in thoughts and such.

Why I hate silence. My mind fills the void.

Didn't realize this was neurodivergent. Interesting, likely some overlapping going on.

[-] lazyguru 3 points 1 year ago

I usually have to have something (music, twitch, etc…) going or I’ll start talking to myself (you’ve seen this happen, lol)

[-] infinitevalence 3 points 1 year ago

depends on the day, sometimes I need background music, sometimes a podcast, and on occasion a video. I just have to be careful with video's because if its too engaging it will fully distract me.

I have a subscription to DI.FM which has a very wide range of electronic music so generally I can find the right sound/tempo for my current mood and needs.

[-] can@sh.itjust.works 3 points 1 year ago

Same here. Calms down one of the threads in my brain.

[-] favrion 2 points 1 year ago

Wonder what exactly? lol

I like deep hums like that of a fan or air conditioner. I used to need music to go to sleep as a child, and it took me a while to wean off of that. I still use a nightlight...

[-] Empathy@beehaw.org 2 points 1 year ago

I'm the same, even asked a psychologist about it and they confirmed that it's normal.

I used to have Starcraft gameplay videos playing in background while I worked. I couldn't keep track of what was going on in the game, so it made great background noise without distracting me.

[-] infinitevalence 1 points 1 year ago

Game soundtracks are awesome for productivity! I sometimes will put the Stellaris soundtrack or Civilization soundtracks on because they keep me focused without pulling me out of my task.

load more comments
view more: next ›
this post was submitted on 27 Jul 2023
18 points (100.0% liked)

Neurodivergent

338 readers
1 users here now

Welcome

A community of individuals with neurodivergent issues or know a neurodivergent person.

Do not avoid sharing or helping because you do not want to associate your account with personal details.

It's healthy to talk and healthy to help others. Create an alt account if it helps. Folks need encouragement.

Find Help

Rules

1. Don’t spam
  2. No personal and/or confidential information
  3. No threatening, harassing, or inciting violence

Similar channels

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS