submitted 10 months ago by Stamets@lemmy.world to c/funny@lemmy.world
top 50 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] Sabre363@sh.itjust.works 157 points 10 months ago

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy is fuckin amazing.

[-] ShunkW@lemmy.world 81 points 10 months ago

Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett are responsible for 80% of my sense of humor.

[-] VaultBoyNewVegas@lemmy.world 14 points 10 months ago

Never found Douglas Adams books funny but loved how entertaining they are. And discword is one of my favourite series, Pratchett's writing style makes the books effortless to read.

[-] solifugo@lemmy.ml 13 points 10 months ago* (last edited 10 months ago)

I really love Douglas Adams books and just going through the middle of the colour of magic... Not feeling like the best book ever, but enjoying It so far. Any recommendations for the next one from Terry Pratchett's discworld saga? Too many to choose from.. 😔

Edit: didn't expect so many replies, thank you all!!

[-] kogasa@programming.dev 14 points 10 months ago

There's a reading order guide. Take your pick! I agree that The Color of Magic is one of the worse starting points. I liked the Watch novels (starting with Guards! Guards!).

[-] AA5B@lemmy.world 4 points 10 months ago

You people are insane, I tried the ebook for the first one from my library: 7 copies, 37 people waiting

[-] kogasa@programming.dev 5 points 10 months ago

It's a great book. It's just got some fantastic competition.

[-] Burninator05@lemmy.world 3 points 10 months ago

So which series do you start on? Rincewind, Witches, Death, or Watch? Does it matter?

[-] kogasa@programming.dev 4 points 10 months ago

Whichever you want. It doesn't really matter.

[-] poppy@lemm.ee 3 points 10 months ago

Pick whichever of the orange “starter novels” you want (maybe read series synopsis and pick whichever appeals to you most) and proceed down the flowchart. Once you finish one line, go to another.

[-] rodneylives@lemmy.world 2 points 10 months ago

Where you start is largely a matter of preference, it's true, but beginning at the start of a subseries makes sense.

Rincewind is a great protagonist. He stars in The Colour of Magic, but several other books also have him. The Color of Magic and The Light Fantastic are a pair, the first two books and one story told in two parts. They're fun but a bit slight. They do introduce Rincewind, Twoflower, The Luggage, Lord Vetinari, The Librarian, Ankh Morpork, Unseen University and a few other things.

The Witches have been my least favorite Discworld books, but I'm much in the minority there. They do have some great characters.

The Death books are uniformly great. Although Death is a main character in all of them, I think it's only Reaper Man in which he's the main character. Other characters are Mort, Ysabelle, Albert and later Susan.

The Watch books center around the watchpeople, but especially Capt Vimes. Other characters include Carrot, Angua, Cotton, Nobby, CMOT Dibbler, Gaspode, Detritus, and Vetinari also usually plays a role.

Many, but not all, of the Discworld novels are focused around the biggest city on the Discworld, Ankh Morpork. The Wizards, Watch and Industrial Revolution series are mostly set there. The Witches novels are mostly set in the country of Lancre, and so are a bit more rural. A few books are what you might call one-offs, set in a place that's never returned to, and that makes them good stand-alone books. I think maybe Small Gods is the best of these.

[-] UntouchedWagons@lemmy.ca 3 points 10 months ago

Lol I tried starting with colour of magic and hated it.

[-] ShunkW@lemmy.world 9 points 10 months ago

I would recommend going through at least the first few in order because of world building. My favorite book is Night Watch though.

[-] cynar@lemmy.world 8 points 10 months ago

Colour of magic and light fantastic are 2 of the worst books in the discworld series. They're not bad books, but nothing compared to what comes later. I read the series in chronological order and don't regret it, so don't give up on it. You can also follow the story arcs, if one particularly appeals to you.

Witches is a significant step up, and it only gets better from there, as Pratchett hits his stride.

[-] Whelks_chance@lemmy.world 5 points 10 months ago

I disagree, they set the scene for what's to come.

We see ankh morpork and the wider discworld through the eyes of rincewind (lives it, knows it, mostly hates and/or scared of it) and twoflower (all new, loves it all, naive).

So it sets the stage for all the other characters to enter and exit from there onwards.

[-] cynar@lemmy.world 2 points 10 months ago

Don't get me wrong, they are important books, and quite good. They just lack something compared to the later books. It's like the shutter start effect on some films. Initially it's a bunch of stills. At a critical point it becomes a stuttering moving image. It finally becomes a living breathing film.

[-] BestBouclettes@jlai.lu 5 points 10 months ago* (last edited 10 months ago)

You can go with the chronological order of publication or by series. So far I like the Death and the Guards series the best.

[-] PixellatedDave@lemmy.world 3 points 10 months ago

Read all the night's watch books. They are hilarious. Mort is good as a stand alone and the witches books are brilliant too.

[-] AnimePhantasm@lemmy.world 8 points 10 months ago

I just wanted to recommend Dimension of Miracles by Robert Sheckley Its a very similar style of humor and was actually written before Hitch Hikers. The audiobook is particularly exceptional.

load more comments (1 replies)
load more comments (6 replies)
[-] BrianTheeBiscuiteer@lemmy.world 1 points 10 months ago

I'm not much of a reader but thoroughly enjoyed these books.

[-] Lauchs@lemmy.world 37 points 10 months ago

Probably the best opening to any non Pratchett book.

[-] VaultBoyNewVegas@lemmy.world 5 points 10 months ago

I personally really like Mark Lawrence's red sister opening slightly more for its world building and absurdity until you find out why nuns and the MC particularly are so dangerous in that world

[-] UntouchedWagons@lemmy.ca 3 points 10 months ago

Seveneves starts with the moon shattering.

[-] Lauchs@lemmy.world 1 points 10 months ago

And Seveneves is a really good book!

But to me at least there's something incredible and perfect about Douglas Adams jokingly summing up all that ever was, is and will be in two sentences that while almost nonsense also completely capture the situation.

[-] leftzero@lemmynsfw.com 1 points 10 months ago

”The sky above the port was the colour of television, tuned to a dead channel.”

[-] spicytuna62@lemmy.world 26 points 10 months ago

Perhaps my favorite quote of all time is, "The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't." So simple, effective, and utterly hilarious.

[-] hOrni@lemmy.world 1 points 8 months ago

I always liked "one man had been nailed to a tree for saying how great it would be to be nice to people for a change".

[-] Kolanaki@yiffit.net 14 points 10 months ago* (last edited 10 months ago)

I remember spending way too long figuring out the very first puzzle in the old text based adventure game that had me stuck in the dark. All you have to do is open your fucking eyes.

[-] AngryCommieKender@lemmy.world 5 points 10 months ago

I never figured out how to manage to grab the electronic thumb that Ford was carrying to get off the planet.

I did find out that "Fuck" was programmed in as a command. I got frustrated and typed "Fuck Ford." The game spat back "This is a family entertainment game, not a video nasty."

[-] Tathas@programming.dev 2 points 10 months ago

Sounds like you should have been playing Leather Goddesses of Phobos

[-] corsicanguppy@lemmy.ca 1 points 10 months ago

You sit at the bar and get drunk. You also eat some peanuts. I think Ford pushes the button or he gives it to you to hold while he goes to the loo.

[-] AngryCommieKender@lemmy.world 1 points 10 months ago

I could get drunk and eat the peanuts, but the wind was preventing me from getting to Ford every time the ship showed up

[-] Spot@startrek.website 6 points 10 months ago

My replacement copy of the increasingly inaccurate trilogy, Ultimate,6 story copy just made it this weekend!

[-] AngryCommieKender@lemmy.world 1 points 10 months ago* (last edited 10 months ago)

HHGTTG, Restaurant at The End of The Universe, Mostly Harmless, So Long and Thanks for all the Fish, Young Zaphod plays it Safe. What's the 6th?

My edition only has those 5, I think.

[-] DaMamaJama@lemmy.world 2 points 10 months ago

Mostly Harmless is the fifth book and Young Zaphod followed it, I thought.

[-] AngryCommieKender@lemmy.world 2 points 10 months ago

You're correct I forgot about Life The Universe, and Everything.

[-] Spot@startrek.website 2 points 10 months ago

Life, the Universe and Everything

[-] cosmicrookie@lemmy.world 6 points 10 months ago

I just finished a book called "The prophet and the idiot" that gave me similar vibes as Douglas Adams. Not the same but very entertaining

[-] FlyingSquid@lemmy.world 5 points 10 months ago

I'd be content with the 'never left the trees' part of that page.

[-] profdc9@sh.itjust.works 2 points 10 months ago

One of my favorites is the Total Perspective Vortex. Every thing in the universe affects every other thing. Therefore you can see everything that is going on by examining a slice of fairy cake.

load more comments
view more: next ›
this post was submitted on 11 Nov 2023
819 points (94.9% liked)

Funny: Home of the Haha

5480 readers
568 users here now

Welcome to /c/funny, a place for all your humorous and amusing content.

Looking for mods! Send an application to Stamets!

Our Rules:

1. Keep it civil. We're all people here. Be respectful to one another.

2. No sexism, racism, homophobia, transphobia or any other flavor of bigotry. I should not need to explain this one.

3. Try not to repost anything posted within the past month. Beyond that, go for it. Not everyone is on every site all the time.

Other Communities:

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS