top 50 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] zifnab25@hexbear.net 82 points 11 months ago

Can the pendulum swing back to the middle again?

Uh, it is dickfuck. Living in a walled garden that's powered by the slave labor of a billion foreigners was never the norm. You were born as far out as a pendulum can swing without tipping the whole clock over.

load more comments (1 replies)
[-] ProfessorOwl_PhD@hexbear.net 70 points 11 months ago

I mean I guess the 90's were chill in the sense of me being too young to notice the wider problems going on in geopolitics, so I was too busy wondering why some kids were given milk at break time and others weren't even though we were all told it was good for our health to worry about, say, Israel, but 2001 had fucking 9/11, how can anyone think that decade was chill?

[-] FlakesBongler@hexbear.net 43 points 11 months ago

The passage of time is a hell of a drug

I still meet people who think that after 9/11, everyone was holding hands and singing kumbaya by the campfire

I wonder if it feels nice to not remember anything properly?

[-] copandballtorture@hexbear.net 38 points 11 months ago

All those WTO protests were just a vibe, not a cell phone in sight

[-] StellarTabi@hexbear.net 22 points 11 months ago

90s = my cool childhood where I got lightly ostracized/bullied for broken english but otherwise passed as white barely middle class and did culvasack shit with other randos. I have no formal understanding or frame of reference in relation to anything bad before 911 except that one+ time(s) (alot) somebody was mean to me on the playground.

I actually still don't know anything bad that happened between 1990 and 911, but my contemporaries are apparently immune to learning about all the bad things that happened between 1776-1990 and 911-2023. Apparently learning is just too much.

[-] RoabeArt@hexbear.net 16 points 11 months ago* (last edited 11 months ago)

Growing up in the 90s I'd hear random splotches of bad stuff happening here and there. People starving in Somalia, the Waco massacre, the Bosnian genocide, Oklahoma City bombing. I just vaguely remember news reports of people dying in these incidents, but not really understanding why.

In 1997-98, when I was 13 I particularly remember hearing about this dude named Saddam Hussein wanting to make germ weapons to drop on us. My dad reassured me that it was all fake, that the media just wants to scare us. I took his word for it. Then 9/11 happened a few years later and he was suddenly convinced that Saddam was stockpiling WMDs to use against us. I was older and knew better, but no amount of reassuring from me was ever able to convince him otherwise.

I feel like 9/11 just broke a lot of peoples' brains.

[-] Dirt_Owl@hexbear.net 66 points 11 months ago

The 90s sucked. Everyone was so repressed and scared of not fitting in. Terrible time.

[-] Gosplan14_the_Third@hexbear.net 48 points 11 months ago

Plus the whole partial societal collapse thing in half of the world

yeah, but things were more stable economically in the west. not that things were "good" mind you, just not as awful as now (because things keep getting worse baybeeeee)

[-] BeanBoy@hexbear.net 64 points 11 months ago

The liberal urge to turn back time instead of actually solving problems

[-] roux@hexbear.net 25 points 11 months ago

It's all just fucking bandaid fixes with them anyway.

[-] usernamesaredifficul@hexbear.net 24 points 11 months ago

sick to bastard death of "used to be".

used to be this, used to be that, how about used to be thinking about the future and not missing the past

[-] Collatz_problem@hexbear.net 20 points 11 months ago* (last edited 11 months ago)

Turning back time is more of a fascist thing. So this liberal is in a process of scratching.

[-] came_apart_at_Kmart@hexbear.net 60 points 11 months ago

shit was fucked in the 90s and 2000s. deindustrialization of the US was in full swing, so every blue collar worker was getting RIF'd or threatened with it. of course, the white collar tech libs didn't care. they also didn't care that clinton murdered the last bit of the social safety net and full throttled the prison pipeline. because lol he smoked weed but didn't inhale. saxophone blowjob from the intern what a cool sex pest.

until the dotcom bubble burst in the late 90s. then white collar workers had questions about the economy. but once that turned around for white collar workers by the mid 2000s and everybody bozo with spare income was settled into 4 ARMS across 3 houses, the GFC hit, jobs lost, homes were foreclosed on, and everybody's retirement account vanished like a fart in the wind.

people nostalgic for the 90s and 2000s were probably in middle school and just miss being a kid. or they're ancient and the lead poisoning is taking its toll.

[-] BeamBrain@hexbear.net 22 points 11 months ago

people nostalgic for the 90s and 2000s were probably in middle school and just miss being a kid.

I'll confess I have a good deal of nostalgia for the time, but yeah, it mostly comes down to this. I think it's something people experience across the political spectrum, but it's how they understand and engage with those feelings that separates leftists from chuds.

[-] star_wraith@hexbear.net 10 points 11 months ago* (last edited 11 months ago)

Same here, nostalgic for the times when I’d stay up all night playing N64 and eating pizza in my friend’s basement. But I also recognize I was a child so I had no responsibilities and not really any way to engage with the wider problems in the world, so of course it was all just a bowl of cherries.

I also later came to find out during that time my dad came into a bunch of money. I love my dad but I also know he doesn’t really have a lot of marketable skills. He lost his job just before coming into that money and I don’t think he’d be able to make much more than minimum wage but also support a family (the job he lost was a favor someone did him so he was making more than he would otherwise). Had that not happened I’m sure my childhood would be drastically different.

[-] StellarTabi@hexbear.net 14 points 11 months ago

people nostalgic for the 90s and 2000s were probably in middle school and just miss being a kid.

fr I'm surprised they aren't just outright saying "I wish I had no responsibilities or awareness again" because I was a kid in the 90s and the only thing I remember about the 90s was toys and tv shows.

[-] CriticalOtaku@hexbear.net 54 points 11 months ago

GREAT TIMES FOR WHO?!?! honk

GREAT TIMES FOR WHO MOTHERFUCKER big-honk

[-] StellarTabi@hexbear.net 50 points 11 months ago

Income inequality and deregulation are running rampant, now I must live like the poors sadness

[-] StellarTabi@hexbear.net 39 points 11 months ago

poor people can all afford internet now, now the whole internet treats everyone as disposable exploitable bozos and doesn't give me special treatment anymore sadness

[-] NephewAlphaBravo@hexbear.net 50 points 11 months ago

"being adult is stressful" thanks brain man for your great insight

[-] BeamBrain@hexbear.net 47 points 11 months ago
[-] axont@hexbear.net 45 points 11 months ago

Multiple countries call the 90s the "lost decade" because of various things, usually economic collapse

[-] Parenti_stan46@hexbear.net 20 points 11 months ago

Yeah but we had baggy pants in the USA

[-] axont@hexbear.net 14 points 11 months ago* (last edited 11 months ago)

"omg my country is collapsing"

yeah excuse me but I'm listening to Alanis Morissette and drinking Zima

[-] Acute_Engles@hexbear.net 44 points 11 months ago

Uhhhh... When I was 25 years younger things were more chill?? Seemed like I had more time to relax??

[-] ComradeCmdrPiggy@hexbear.net 36 points 11 months ago

Out of nowhere.

OUT OF NOWHERE.

marx-joker lenin-rage stalin-stressed

[-] TomBombadil@hexbear.net 15 points 11 months ago

It's out of nowhere if you don't pay attention. Checkmate tankie

[-] LeZero@hexbear.net 36 points 11 months ago

That guy is missing being a child and not feeling alienated by everything around them while being egocentric and seemingly not being able to imagine any other perspective than his own

[-] FourteenEyes@hexbear.net 27 points 11 months ago

No he's also missing a genuinely better standard of living that he no longer has access to even if he has absolutely no clue why that is or how to state what's different

[-] SuperNovaCouchGuy2@hexbear.net 33 points 11 months ago

the 90s and 2000s were such great times. Everybody was just chilling and enjoying the greatest era of innovation and entertainment

Thats just called going to school middle class in the calm before american capitalism, obungler and co. bungled up 2008. Now its just mourning a lost future by haunting the past.

[-] 2Password2Remember@hexbear.net 29 points 11 months ago* (last edited 11 months ago)

just pure, unadulterated blob-no-thoughts

Death to America

[-] Infamousblt@hexbear.net 26 points 11 months ago

Wow if only someone or many many someones over 150 years of history have written about this tendency of society. It would be really great if someone did because then maybe I could learn more about why this is happening and why we can't ever go back.

Oh well books aren't real anyway I guess we'll just never know why this is happening!

marx-joker

[-] Parsani@hexbear.net 25 points 11 months ago
[-] Parzivus@hexbear.net 20 points 11 months ago* (last edited 11 months ago)

Fukuyama's been having a rough time recently. I think his application for a work visa in Hong Kong was denied, so he started writing more China bad articles lol

[-] Parsani@hexbear.net 15 points 11 months ago
[-] Judge_Jury@hexbear.net 25 points 11 months ago
[-] ShimmeringKoi@hexbear.net 24 points 11 months ago
[-] usernamesaredifficul@hexbear.net 23 points 11 months ago

2008 that was when everything went wrong for this guy how does he not know that, fucker you were there

[-] DoiDoi@hexbear.net 23 points 11 months ago

yeah they don't make 'em like shock and awe (2003) anymore

[-] mayo_cider@hexbear.net 21 points 11 months ago

I'm becoming an accelerationist just to annoy this lib

[-] Utter_Karate@hexbear.net 18 points 11 months ago

I support the idea of the pendulum swinging to the left. I suspect this user is imagining a pendulum that stops in the middle, but that is not how pendulums work. The whole mechanical reason for using pendulums is that they will swing right past the middle.

[-] berrytopylus@hexbear.net 18 points 11 months ago

Anytime people say something like this, just read it as "when I grew up I didn't pay attention to the news and other people so it all seemed awesome"

[-] Magician@hexbear.net 17 points 11 months ago

US policy fucked with a bunch of people until something happened in 2001 (I forget) that set us on a course of further human suffering until 22 years later when it reached the op.

[-] s0ykaf@hexbear.net 15 points 11 months ago* (last edited 11 months ago)

"everything was so great in the 90s" says the guy who never paid attention to a 90s hip hop song in his life

[-] AOCapitulator@hexbear.net 13 points 11 months ago

the romanovs probably thought things were pretty cool and chill too

[-] VILenin@hexbear.net 10 points 11 months ago

Forget the pogroms and the tyranny and the murder and exploitation, the most important thing in the world is that the royal family gets to go to fancy costume parties

[-] Dr_Gabriel_Aby@hexbear.net 11 points 11 months ago

Rome decisively wins the 3rd Punic war in 146BC. Everything seems fine and dandy in the greatest hegemon in the world and 13 years later the poorest citizens are being murdered en Mase during elections for asking for the right to land for 10 years of military fucking service.

When a poorly organized state gains power it will still be poorly organized

[-] emizeko@hexbear.net 9 points 11 months ago

Anticommunism in The Twilight Zone (1959-1964)

In this essay, I will

load more comments
view more: next ›
this post was submitted on 24 Oct 2023
157 points (100.0% liked)

the_dunk_tank

15891 readers
217 users here now

It's the dunk tank.

This is where you come to post big-brained hot takes by chuds, libs, or even fellow leftists, and tear them to itty-bitty pieces with precision dunkstrikes.

Rule 1: All posts must include links to the subject matter, and no identifying information should be redacted.

Rule 2: If your source is a reactionary website, please use archive.is instead of linking directly.

Rule 3: No sectarianism.

Rule 4: TERF/SWERFs Not Welcome

Rule 5: No ableism of any kind (that includes stuff like libt*rd)

Rule 6: Do not post fellow hexbears.

Rule 7: Do not individually target other instances' admins or moderators.

Rule 8: The subject of a post cannot be low hanging fruit, that is comments/posts made by a private person that have low amount of upvotes/likes/views. Comments/Posts made on other instances that are accessible from hexbear are an exception to this. Posts that do not meet this requirement can be posted to !shitreactionariessay@lemmygrad.ml

Rule 9: if you post ironic rage bait im going to make a personal visit to your house to make sure you never make this mistake again

founded 4 years ago
MODERATORS