"A reasonably good clone can be created with under a minute of audio and some are claiming that even a few seconds may be enough." Mom wary about answering calls for fear voice will be cloned for future virtual kidnapping.

top 43 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] BassTurd@lemmy.world 77 points 1 year ago

Unless I know who you are, I'm not answering your call. 90% of the time it's a robot and the other 10% can leave a voicemail.

[-] radix@lemm.ee 10 points 1 year ago

Isn't a voicemail worse for detecting deepfakes because it doesn't require it to dynamically listen and respond?

[-] BassTurd@lemmy.world 27 points 1 year ago

I'm not personally concerned about getting duped by a deep fake. I just don't want to talk to any robots, solicitors, or scammers.

[-] Coliseum7428@kbin.social 6 points 1 year ago

I have had calls from similar numbers to my own, and seen caller ID’s for people that aren’t contacts. I haven’t picked them up, but the temptation was there to do so.

[-] 857@fedia.io 3 points 1 year ago

I'll go one farther - unless it's my doc, my wife, or my boss, I'm neither answering the call nor listening to the voicemail. That's what easily skimmable voicemail transcription is for...

I don't love the privacy implications of transcribed voicemail, ofc, but it's better for my own privacy/threat model than answering the phone to robots, scammers, and etc. It's also a hell of a lot better for my mental health, vs listening to them.

[-] bluekieran@lemmy.world 3 points 1 year ago

You might know the number. My wife used to live in Kenya and renamed her "Mum"/"Dad" contacts after they once got a call from her stolen phone saying she'd been arrested and they needed to send money for bail.

[-] Mando@lemmy.world 1 points 1 year ago

Same. Life is much better this way

[-] chamaeleon@kbin.social 55 points 1 year ago

Real kidnappers will not be happy about this as deepfake becomes more prevalent and calls for ransom gets ignored more and more. Do they have union that can go on strike to raise awareness about this?

[-] StarManta@lemmy.world 24 points 1 year ago

The real victims here

[-] original_reader@lemmy.ml 23 points 1 year ago

"Improving" is not a word I would use in this case.

[-] StarManta@lemmy.world 8 points 1 year ago

Like that old Invader Zim line.

“You made the fires worse!”

“Worse? Or better?”

[-] numbscroll@kbin.social 6 points 1 year ago

Right? Reads like… hey kidnappers, parents hate this one simple trick

[-] samus12345@lemmy.world 16 points 1 year ago

This is why code words are important.

[-] Johnny_Utah@lemmy.dbzer0.com 4 points 1 year ago

As awful as it sounds this needs to be setup between family members. Agree on a phrase or code word to check and make sure they are who they say they are. This is already common when it comes to alarm system monitoring companies, got to make sure the intruder isn't the one answering the phone and telling them false alarm.

[-] ZILtoid1991@kbin.social 8 points 1 year ago

Techbros be like "but what if it can be used to resurrect dead actors?".

[-] FlyingSquid@lemmy.world 6 points 1 year ago

Not even necessarily dead actors. They used AI to bring young Luke Skywalker back in The Book of Boba Fett. And it was not great, but it was serviceable. Now give it 10 years.

[-] prole@sh.itjust.works 5 points 1 year ago

Ohh, well that totally makes all this worthwhile then.

[-] FlyingSquid@lemmy.world 9 points 1 year ago

Sorry, I wasn't trying to suggest that at all. I think it's appalling.

[-] RFBurns@lemmy.world 6 points 1 year ago

The 'hostage-taker' will never be able to duplicate my family's grammar and sentence structure quirks, so I won't care how it "sounds"...

[-] skillissuer@lemmy.world 1 points 1 year ago

"we have Face/Off at home"

load more comments
view more: next ›
this post was submitted on 13 Jul 2023
227 points (97.1% liked)

Technology

58311 readers
5387 users here now

This is a most excellent place for technology news and articles.

Our Rules

1. Follow the lemmy.world rules.
  2. Only tech related content.
  3. Be excellent to each another!
  4. Mod approved content bots can post up to 10 articles per day.
  5. Threads asking for personal tech support may be deleted.
  6. Politics threads may be removed.
  7. No memes allowed as posts, OK to post as comments.
  8. Only approved bots from the list below, to ask if your bot can be added please contact us.
  9. Check for duplicates before posting, duplicates may be removed

Approved Bots

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS