top 50 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] shortypants@lemmy.world 1 points 5 minutes ago

She's cute so they will back her and continue to vote for her. Florida GOP has figured this out and flexing hard. Run a cute vapid cunt and you're good.

[-] RememberTheApollo_@lemmy.world 12 points 15 hours ago

All so they can say, “Look how little the Biden administration is doing for the people of Florida!”

Literally putting life and property on the chopping block for their political posturing.

[-] Semi_Hemi_Demigod@lemmy.world 67 points 1 day ago

Either the money won't come and she'll blame Democrats for that, or the money will come despite her and she'll take credit for it.

[-] Chekhovs_Gun@lemmy.world 4 points 17 hours ago

As is tradition.

[-] affiliate@lemmy.world 25 points 1 day ago

it’s the natural way of things for republican politicians

[-] tempest@lemmy.ca 3 points 17 hours ago

I mean it seems to work for them so it's unlikely they'll stop

[-] WoahWoah@lemmy.world 6 points 16 hours ago* (last edited 16 hours ago)

I find it frustrating that she's so blazingly hot and simultaneously such an incredibly ugly person. I was explaining this to my girl, and she said "she's like the female Josh Hawley."

Yes, I immediately criticized her for saying he's hot, he looks like a goober d-bag to me. But, she pointed out, as a hetero man my vision isn't clouded by his looks, so all I see is the pure, Emperor Palpatine evilness of him.

She thinks he's evil too, but a good-looking evil apparently.

[-] Bread@sh.itjust.works 72 points 1 day ago

Look, I agree its bad but let's not blow it out of proportions here. It is not the "world's strongest hurricane" it is only the 4th world's strongest hurricane. Major difference.

[-] UnderpantsWeevil@lemmy.world 38 points 1 day ago

it is only the 4th world’s strongest hurricane

So far

[-] MehBlah@lemmy.world 22 points 1 day ago

I detect a distinct hint of sarcasm.

load more comments (1 replies)
[-] Bytemeister@lemmy.world 2 points 19 hours ago

It's gonna be the 1st strongest hurricane to hit the same area less than 14 days from the last hurricane.

[-] Itdidnttrickledown@lemmy.world 4 points 16 hours ago

They will still vote for her.

[-] YeetPics@mander.xyz 25 points 1 day ago

You see that soulless glare on the faces of a lot of people who have traded their morals for profit.

She's in good company with the GOP, very on brand to be an ignorant cunt throwing your constituent's corpses at the rising tidal waters of reality.

[-] iAvicenna@lemmy.world 8 points 1 day ago

and either they dont smile or they smile like psychopaths

[-] Commiunism@lemmy.wtf 59 points 1 day ago

I kinda get the accelerationist-like game plan conservatives are doing here (voting down funding and then blaming the other political side), but it's just so evil considering that alternative options would actually help people and achieve the same effect.

Vote for relief funding, maybe do some "helping" for press photos to look good, spend some billionaire money that conservatives aren't lacking for fundraisers then boast about it, calling democrats and current administration ineffective. Same result but it might save lives with the added bonus that nobody can call you out on lying.

Is it really so hard to do some good every once in a while? It really feels like conservatives are allergic to morally good deeds.

[-] some_guy@lemmy.sdf.org 18 points 1 day ago

They operate on fear and hate. Helping people won't activate either of those.

[-] captainlezbian@lemmy.world 11 points 1 day ago

That’s their platform, they obstruct anything that might help unless the democrats accept moving rightward in the process. They’ve been doing it since Obama at least

[-] Zorg@lemmings.world 12 points 1 day ago

They have been doing it for 50 years, it has just expanded and grown increasingly sinister:

First, the Two Santas strategy dictates, when Republicans control the White House they must spend money like a drunken Santa and cut taxes to run up the U.S. debt as far and as fast as possible.

This produces three results: it stimulates the economy thus making people think that the GOP can produce a good economy; it raises the debt dramatically; and it makes people think that Republicans are the “tax-cut Santa Clauses.”

Second, when a Democrat is in the White House, Republicans must scream about the national debt as loudly and frantically as possible, freaking out about how “our children will have to pay for it!” and “we have to cut spending to solve the crisis!” Shut down the government, crash the stock market, and damage US credibility around the world if necessary to stop Democrats from spending money.
https://www.milwaukeeindependent.com/thom-hartmann/two-santas-strategy-gop-used-economic-scam-manipulate-americans-40-years/

Wreck the government, then point to the Democrats and loudly claim everything is all their fault...

[-] CheeseNoodle@lemmy.world 2 points 10 hours ago

Same shit here in the UK, Fuckers spent 20 billion on no one even knows what the week before they got kicked out.

[-] psycho_driver@lemmy.world 11 points 1 day ago

It's way easier to sit in your office and screeeeeeeee.

load more comments (3 replies)
[-] UnderpantsWeevil@lemmy.world 25 points 1 day ago

Tampa Bay and Orlando are two of the largest tourist cities in the state. I'm curious to see what the honorable representatives from Disney and Universal Studios are going to say in the aftermath of this thing.

[-] P1nkman@lemmy.world 4 points 19 hours ago

I would laugh my ass off if Disney World (or Disney Land or whatever it's called, I'm not American) got destroyed.

[-] UnderpantsWeevil@lemmy.world 3 points 19 hours ago

If Disney is destroyed, the federal government will earmark a billion dollars to rebuild it.

Tear down this Magic Kingdom and Walt's Ghost (plus an enormous traunch of taxpayer money) will see it rebuilt in three days.

load more comments (5 replies)
[-] nobleshift@lemmy.world 87 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

As of this post the projected path puts this hotel, a local landmark, The Don Cesar as ground zero.

The storm surge will flow unabated (nothing but net) into Tampa Bay and slam McDill AFB head on with 15foot+ storm surge & 100mph+ sustained winds, along with everything else from funneled driving water into the shallows / beach / inlets.

On the beaches all of the curbs and sidewalks and parking lots are sand mounds, broken buildings, debris, homes of wrecked and soggy (and decaying) furniture, bedding, cars, clothes motorcycles, e-scooters & bikes from 11 god damned days ago from the last hurricane to pass by.

The highways inland going north are choked. Half my family & friends are in Jacksonville in a hotel, they live 5 miles inland from the Don CeSar hotel. Those who haven't left yet can only hope to outrun this storm and drive south like hell, along a coast 1/4 of the way, to duck underneath it. Except there's no gas / petrol left where they are, and I suspect along the 1st 1/4 of the route. Home Depot / Lowes are all out or boarding wood(s), there's no bottled / jugged water left.

There's going to be sanitation and disease issues, fresh water and food issues. Three days after the storm there will be an explosion of mosquitoes, Deer & Black flies.

It's also been raining for days. Ground saturation was hit days ago. Even in Miami, a 5 hour drive away, we are completely saturated and have some flooding.

My childhood hometown will be a bloodbath.

I myself am south of Miami, in a mangrove waterway / swamp aboard my 29' cruising sailboat hiding out in the same fucking spot I left just 7 fucking days ago storm dodging.

So any Conservative / GOP / Republican / MAGA or thier supporters and enablers can burn in fucking hell. I'm dedicating at least part of my life to never knowingly allow these people, companies, or their products into my life.

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.

[-] UnderpantsWeevil@lemmy.world 10 points 1 day ago

Crazy how we have a $1.4T national defense budget and yet we remain powerless in the face of some wind and rain.

Beginning to wonder if the budgets for the F-35A/B/C/D/I, the Virginia Class submarines, and STAR WARS anti-ICBM space laser systems might have been misspent relative to the need for sea walls, dykes, and storm bunkers.

[-] captainlezbian@lemmy.world 10 points 1 day ago

Wind and rain that we knew a century ago how to prevent. The greenhouse effect was discovered during the French Revolution. Catastrophic anthropogenic climate change has been known for about 50 years now.

The thing is handling wind and rain sounds easy until you understand it as force carried through the media of air and water. As a midwesterner I know not to underestimate wind, it can destroy your home without slowing down. This is a bombing campaign of force in a different form.

[-] ChickenLadyLovesLife@lemmy.world 3 points 19 hours ago

Catastrophic anthropogenic climate change

I prefer anthropogenic runaway global heating (ARGH). "Climate change" is a pretty weak formulation of the underlying problem, even weaker than "global warming".

[-] ochi_chernye@startrek.website 2 points 18 hours ago

How about Anthropogenic Catastrophic Kindling (ACK)? Then we can at least get Cathy on board.

[-] ChickenLadyLovesLife@lemmy.world 2 points 17 hours ago

What can we make out of LASAGNA to get Garfield involved?

load more comments (2 replies)
load more comments (6 replies)
[-] Frog@lemmy.ca 165 points 1 day ago

They know exactly what they are doing. They are going to blame the President. They don't care about their own people.

[-] Iheartcheese@lemmy.world 86 points 1 day ago

Because their people will blame the President too.

load more comments (6 replies)
[-] pearsaltchocolatebar 74 points 1 day ago

The Harris campaign should be running 24/7 ads about how they reached out to DeSantis to offer aid and he refused to take the call.

[-] Burn_The_Right@lemmy.world 48 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

The conservative politicians will do everything they can to make sure the locals suffer as hard as possible so they can use the horrifying footage and stories for a Hail Mary marketing push.

Conservatives will play victim and pretend Dems did this to them. Their dumb bullshit will not work this time. The Dems are ready and will be campaigning with the fucking receipts.

I am truly sad that so many innocent people are being harmed by these conservative-caused climate disasters and the deadly conservative mishandling of them.

[-] some_guy@lemmy.sdf.org 18 points 1 day ago

Victimhood is their identity. I was reading, just yesterday, about how christians were not persecuted any more than any other non-Roman religion. But we all know the stories of christians being fed to lions. They want the mythology.

[-] BalooWasWahoo@links.hackliberty.org 12 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

I, sadly, call bullshit. The last time the democrats were actually good at pushing back forcefully with campaign messaging was when I was still in diapers. Now add in that democratic points actually need a modicum of thought put into them to accept them, while republican points are like grade school insults and comebacks that just 'sound good,' and I doubt we'll get big gains from republican-precipitated disasters.

Edit: Seriously... think about how many people believed that photo of trump wading through floodwaters. And how many others don't even care about obviously fake images like that, choosing to have the idea that such things are normal and okay.

[-] Wino@lemmy.cafe 51 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

Our infrastructure is garbage. Our power was out for 2 days last time and Helene barely grazed us. Like one band hit us a bit. This one is heading straight at us so I expect to lose power for a few days at least. DeSantis is a fucking dumb piece of shit. But hey, he refused to talk to Harris to try to score a few political points and the braindead boomers will be going insane with joy.

[-] Blackmist@feddit.uk 10 points 1 day ago

And guess who they will blame when dozens of registered voters die.

[-] N0body@lemmy.dbzer0.com 48 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

If it passed in spite of her dissent, she’ll take credit for it with her constituents. They always do.

[-] madcaesar@lemmy.world 15 points 1 day ago

Is this another non white woman that's a Republican? Talk about a traitor... Jesus Christ

[-] grue@lemmy.world 37 points 1 day ago

"God should smite the sinners!"

"Wait, no, not like that!"

load more comments
view more: next ›
this post was submitted on 08 Oct 2024
831 points (97.6% liked)

Political Memes

5325 readers
4113 users here now

Welcome to politcal memes!

These are our rules:

Be civilJokes are okay, but don’t intentionally harass or disturb any member of our community. Sexism, racism and bigotry are not allowed. Good faith argumentation only. No posts discouraging people to vote or shaming people for voting.

No misinformationDon’t post any intentional misinformation. When asked by mods, provide sources for any claims you make.

Posts should be memesRandom pictures do not qualify as memes. Relevance to politics is required.

No bots, spam or self-promotionFollow instance rules, ask for your bot to be allowed on this community.

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS