top 50 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] Gammelfisch@lemmy.world 22 points 1 day ago

The Apartheid is still in the Muskrats. F-them and they should go back to South Africa.

[-] Avg@lemm.ee 7 points 1 day ago

Wow now, these aren't the immigrants the Republicans were referring to.

[-] Gammelfisch@lemmy.world 5 points 1 day ago

LOL! Dark MAGAT is an immigrant and technically qualifies under the GOP rules.

[-] ShaggySnacks@lemmy.myserv.one 2 points 1 day ago

I didn't think the leopard would eat MY face.

• Elon Musk, sometime in the future
[-] phoenixz@lemmy.ca 9 points 1 day ago

Honestquestion: can she be tried in court for publicly calling people.yo commit crimes?

[-] Etterra@lemmy.world 17 points 1 day ago

There's no need to sully the good name of Lord Megatron.

She can be called Megakaren.

[-] edgesmash@lemmy.world 6 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

#MegatronDidNothingWrong....?

[-] myrrh@ttrpg.network 5 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

...seriously, the guy's out there trying to build clean energy and transportation infrastructure but optimus keeps showing up with his gang of hooligans just to f*ck sh*t up...

#OptimusPrimeIsATotalDick

[-] Semi_Hemi_Demigod@lemmy.world 25 points 1 day ago

Poll workers totally won't realize the same person voted ten times.

And it's totally feasible to register in 10 different places and drive to them all and wait in line 10 times in a single day.

[-] PugJesus@lemmy.world 6 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

And definitely not something that will attract government attention when you're repeatedly registering, no sir.

For that matter, when I was a poll worker, we had a computerized system, even though we did paper ballots, which noted when someone had already received a ballot regardless of where in the state they received it.

[-] Semi_Hemi_Demigod@lemmy.world 5 points 1 day ago

And to swing most elections they'd have to have dozens or scores of people doing it in a bunch of geographically adjacent districts.

She's about as dim as her son.

load more comments (3 replies)
[-] Anticorp@lemmy.world 109 points 2 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago)

She’s not even American. Pretty wild for an immigrant to be throwing so much shade at immigrants.

[-] sugar_in_your_tea@sh.itjust.works 57 points 2 days ago

It's really not that wild, many legal immigrants want to pull the ladder up behind them.

Source: am married to an immigrant and work with several. All of them seem to like Trump's immigration policies for some reason...

[-] dejected_warp_core@lemmy.world 12 points 1 day ago

I honestly can't wrap my head around this. If I emigrated elsewhere to flee this shit-show, I would absolutely help other people cross whatever borders I did.

[-] Dragonstaff@leminal.space 9 points 1 day ago

Conservatives think that some people are just better than others and, surprise surprise, they're near the top of the "natural hierarchy".

"I'm an immigrant, but I'm not like those other immigrants because I don't [Republican stereotype of immigrants]"

load more comments (7 replies)

Here's the thought process:

1. it was really hard to get into this country
  2. if we make it easier to come here, that nullifies the work I did

A similar argument applies to a lot of other things, for example:

• student loan forgiveness - I paid my student loans (or worked to avoid them), why should others get a pass?
  • mortgage assistance - I saved to be able to afford a home, why should others skip that step?

A lot of people attribute this to selfishness, but I think it's closer to jealousy. I have two kids who share a bedroom, and if I reward them equally for cleaning up when one did 90% of the work, that doesn't seem fair to the one that did the most work, even if they're older and more capable. I think that's pretty similar to what's happening here.

That said, I personally am in favor of much more open borders, and I'd like to get to a point where we don't have quotas or anything and people can come as they please. My ideal is a quick stop at the border to fill out a form (i.e. temporary work authorization), then perhaps monthly digital reports about job status, and then a longer-term authorization once you can prove employment (or at least financial stability). We have a huge backlog, so in the meantime I'd like to simplify the paperwork and increase the quotas until that backlogged demand is exhausted.

[-] Dyskolos@lemmy.zip 4 points 1 day ago

Helping other human beings, even if there is no gain for you? Damn commie! /s

[-] mindaika@lemmy.dbzer0.com 2 points 1 day ago

Immigrants are by definition people who left their culture for another. Why would they want to make it easier for others?

If I made it out of the US to Spain, the last thing I want is a bunch more Americans coming with me

[-] Aaron@lemmy.nz 1 points 1 day ago

Ive helped several Americans join me in my new home, from helping with first steps, picking up from the airport, getting cellphones set up, advice on how to get settled, introducing to new people etc. If they're leaving the US and moving them and their families across an ocean, they're more aligned with my preferred culture than the one we fled. I was met with nothing but acceptance and kindness when I reached out to locals when I was moving and as I arrived, so if anything, that's the culture I'm trying to assimilate into.

[-] Zeppo@sh.itjust.works 4 points 1 day ago

Class and race are the issues. Rich, white Immigrants? Sure, that’s them. They’re fine with more. Poor or non-white? No way.

[-] sugar_in_your_tea@sh.itjust.works 1 points 22 hours ago

Which is ironic IMO, because it's the poor, non-white immigrants that build this country from the ground up. They take the jobs we don't want, which keeps our prices low so our better educated citizens can take better jobs. Then after a generation or two, those poor immigrants' descendants will be the ones taking the better jobs.

We need a constant stream of people willing to take the crappy jobs we don't want, especially if we want to bring manufacturing back to this country. So I really don't understand why conservatives want to simultaneously encourage more factories here and discourage low-cost labor.

[-] Zeppo@sh.itjust.works 1 points 18 hours ago

My analysis is that Republicans want immigrants to be marginalized so they are more able to take advantage of them for labor. If someone was a legal immigrant or had protections, it's harder to pay them low wages, have no medical or workers comp, hire and fire at will, avoid payroll taxes, and unsafe working conditions... all of which are very dear things to Republicans.

[-] FlashZordon@lemmy.world 3 points 1 day ago

Certified dummy.

[-] ikidd@lemmy.world 70 points 2 days ago

And every fucking time it's been proven in court, it's been a Republican that did it.

[-] EncryptKeeper@lemmy.world 9 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

“Because the deep state libs are in power so the only ones they’ll prosecute are the Republicans who do it”

I can hear it now lmao

load more comments (4 replies)
[-] hamid@sh.itjust.works 37 points 2 days ago

I didn't know Elon Musk's mom was Cruella DeVille

load more comments (1 replies)
[-] TrickDacy@lemmy.world 114 points 3 days ago

We live in a world that if you call someone an idiot or violate some other arbitrary rule you get banned, but if you spread dangerous lies you usually are fine and rarely see a consequence

[-] match@pawb.social 61 points 3 days ago

she's obviously not going to get banned on her son's weird personal blog

load more comments (9 replies)
[-] njm1314@lemmy.world 45 points 2 days ago

I demand you stop calling her Megatron, that is way too cool of a nickname for that woman.

[-] Zeppo@sh.itjust.works 2 points 1 day ago

I don’t get why she’d be called that anyway.

load more comments (5 replies)
[-] poke@sh.itjust.works 50 points 2 days ago

She's just prepping some Rs to think that faking votes is easy so they'll be more accepting of the idea that the election was stolen when Trump loses. As a bonus she also makes it seem like the R party is the one stopping this fictional fraud.

load more comments (2 replies)
[-] recklessengagement@lemmy.world 146 points 3 days ago

That wouldn't even fucking work, lol. You need, at minimum, a proof of address, and even if you spoofed 10 different names and addresses that each corresponded to 10 specific precincts, you're going to be given a provisional ballot, in which case your vote doesn't even get counted until it has been independently researched and verified by county workers, which if it succeeds, won't get counted till a week later.

God. I fucking hate that these idiots have a non-zero chance of winning.

[-] CEbbinghaus@lemmy.world 159 points 3 days ago

Do these people think real life is a fucking game? At this point I'm convinced repoblicans are delusional

[-] AlecSadler@sh.itjust.works 96 points 3 days ago

...because they are?

[-] Grandwolf319@sh.itjust.works 37 points 2 days ago

Do they not realize how annoying and hard it is for the average person to vote just once during an election?

People don’t have that much free time.

load more comments (15 replies)
[-] MapleEngineer@lemmy.world 23 points 2 days ago
[-] tigeruppercut@lemmy.zip 54 points 2 days ago
[-] dejected_warp_core@lemmy.world 15 points 1 day ago

Everything makes sense now. Elon works for mom.

load more comments (1 replies)
load more comments
view more: next ›
this post was submitted on 06 Oct 2024
803 points (98.0% liked)

People Twitter

5034 readers
2948 users here now

People tweeting stuff. We allow tweets from anyone.

RULES:

1. Mark NSFW content.
  2. No doxxing people.
  3. Must be a tweet or similar
  4. No bullying.
  5. Be excellent to each other.

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS