you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] dejected_warp_core@lemmy.world 12 points 1 day ago

I honestly can't wrap my head around this. If I emigrated elsewhere to flee this shit-show, I would absolutely help other people cross whatever borders I did.

[-] Dragonstaff@leminal.space 9 points 1 day ago

Conservatives think that some people are just better than others and, surprise surprise, they're near the top of the "natural hierarchy".

"I'm an immigrant, but I'm not like those other immigrants because I don't [Republican stereotype of immigrants]"

Here's the thought process:

1. it was really hard to get into this country
  2. if we make it easier to come here, that nullifies the work I did

A similar argument applies to a lot of other things, for example:

• student loan forgiveness - I paid my student loans (or worked to avoid them), why should others get a pass?
  • mortgage assistance - I saved to be able to afford a home, why should others skip that step?

A lot of people attribute this to selfishness, but I think it's closer to jealousy. I have two kids who share a bedroom, and if I reward them equally for cleaning up when one did 90% of the work, that doesn't seem fair to the one that did the most work, even if they're older and more capable. I think that's pretty similar to what's happening here.

That said, I personally am in favor of much more open borders, and I'd like to get to a point where we don't have quotas or anything and people can come as they please. My ideal is a quick stop at the border to fill out a form (i.e. temporary work authorization), then perhaps monthly digital reports about job status, and then a longer-term authorization once you can prove employment (or at least financial stability). We have a huge backlog, so in the meantime I'd like to simplify the paperwork and increase the quotas until that backlogged demand is exhausted.

[-] Dyskolos@lemmy.zip 4 points 1 day ago

Helping other human beings, even if there is no gain for you? Damn commie! /s

[-] mindaika@lemmy.dbzer0.com 2 points 1 day ago

Immigrants are by definition people who left their culture for another. Why would they want to make it easier for others?

If I made it out of the US to Spain, the last thing I want is a bunch more Americans coming with me

[-] Aaron@lemmy.nz 1 points 1 day ago

Ive helped several Americans join me in my new home, from helping with first steps, picking up from the airport, getting cellphones set up, advice on how to get settled, introducing to new people etc. If they're leaving the US and moving them and their families across an ocean, they're more aligned with my preferred culture than the one we fled. I was met with nothing but acceptance and kindness when I reached out to locals when I was moving and as I arrived, so if anything, that's the culture I'm trying to assimilate into.

this post was submitted on 06 Oct 2024
803 points (98.0% liked)

People Twitter

5034 readers
2329 users here now

People tweeting stuff. We allow tweets from anyone.

RULES:

1. Mark NSFW content.
  2. No doxxing people.
  3. Must be a tweet or similar
  4. No bullying.
  5. Be excellent to each other.

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS