top 50 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] mvirts@lemmy.world 10 points 12 hours ago

Probably a fox

[-] Dorkyd68@lemmy.world 22 points 23 hours ago

Living by yourself in rural areas is wonderful. However every now and then you'll hear a noise at 2am and not sleep right for a week. Only downside really

[-] collapse_already@lemmy.ml 67 points 1 day ago

Cougars in heat sound like a woman being murdered. Bigger louder sound than a fox. Terrifying if you don't know what it is, and a bit terrifying if you do.

[-] whyNotSquirrel@sh.itjust.works 29 points 1 day ago

I thought you were talking about women that like younger men, and that was confusing

[-] psycho_driver@lemmy.world 12 points 1 day ago

Their screams can vary in pitch and intensity.

[-] sugar_in_your_tea@sh.itjust.works 6 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

¿Por qué no los dos?

[-] intensely_human@lemm.ee 2 points 17 hours ago

Instead it’s just sin crouching at your door ❤️❤️

[-] Buddahriffic@lemmy.world 4 points 22 hours ago

I was thinking about rabbits, too, that get very vocal when a predator catches them.

[-] sicarius@lemmy.world 48 points 1 day ago

I was sat at home alone one night, have my first joint in months. Sat at back door looking out into the woods and think I can hear a girl sobbing. I must be stoned as hell. Then I clearly hear some girl shouting help me! In my pyjamas and Crocs I up and run off into the woods.
While running through the woods my stoned brain says to me if I were planning an ambush, this is what I'd do.
Shut up brain.
Find a young woman sobbing in the pitch darkness off the path in the woods.
Calllm her down. She had an argument with her boyfriend and he took her phone and left her in the woods, she doesn't know where she is.
I offer to drive her to the hotel she says she's staying at.
Halfway there I see the cops coming out of the station and flag them down, they were just on their way out to look for this girl.
I tell them what happened and they said I could be on my way.
Thank fuck as I was too high to be talking to cops.
Turns out that girl and her boyfriend work at the hotel with my mate, he says this happens once a week, her boyfriend had in fact not taken her phone she had it all along, he just walked off when she started causing drama again.

[-] a2part2@lemmy.zip 8 points 23 hours ago

That ended much better than initially anticipated. Thanks.

[-] 7U5K3N@lemmy.dbzer0.com 214 points 1 day ago

I'm going to bet fox.

Those mofos sound like someone is murdering a 13 yr old girl.

Rabbits sound fucked too...

Coyotes too occasionally...

Or wanton murder. Someone has to be a statistic lol.

[-] oxideseven@lemmy.ca 6 points 23 hours ago

Dude. rabbits!

Did not know the horror until family visited and their dog caught one and was playing with it. So terrifying!

[-] SGforce@lemmy.ca 34 points 1 day ago

Rabbits sounds like screaming babies! Nearly had a heart attack when one got stuck in the spokes of a decorative antique bicycle in the garden and the neighbour's cat was swatting at it. My mom was out there crying, trying to pull it out.

[-] Fox@pawb.social 27 points 1 day ago

Must awaken something deep in the mammal brain. There was a video of a wildlife cam where a hawk or something grabbed a rabbit which started screaming, and a deer came running and absolutely stomped the life out of the bird.

[-] multi_regime_enjoyer@lemmy.ml 10 points 1 day ago

There really isn't that big of a difference between our brains! Well, apart from them all dying in agony without any real understanding of what it means to die. Like a trillion babies mauling each other to death every hour. Sweet dreams and be happy we are human!

[-] FlorianSimon@sh.itjust.works 11 points 1 day ago

Dude. That's Bambi 😬

[-] NegativeLookBehind@lemmy.world 4 points 1 day ago

I’ve heard coyotes while trail running through the woods. That sound will definitely make you fucking run faster.

[-] GraniteM@lemmy.world 4 points 21 hours ago

I describe fox noises as sounding like a combination of shock and pain, like someone getting unexpectedly stabbed in the back with a fondue fork at what was up until then a nice party.

[-] 7U5K3N@lemmy.dbzer0.com 1 points 13 hours ago

Lmfao that's hilarious

[-] Wooki@lemmy.world 12 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

You ain't heard shit until you've been camping around koalas alone. It's not okay.

Not quite as long as they get but its women screams:

https://youtu.be/0cPg7_nyoBc

Mating call is satanic:

https://youtu.be/PlxnXMWO-jk

[-] Sylvartas@lemmy.world 10 points 1 day ago

I'm going for the timeless classic : a cat in heat. In my experience they produce a wide variety of "kid getting murdered" sounds

[-] OhmsLawn@lemmy.world 3 points 23 hours ago

They regularly use them as a sound effect in murder mysteries.

Midsummer Murders, in particular, used the fox cry so often that I had to look up what the hell it was

[-] 7U5K3N@lemmy.dbzer0.com 1 points 13 hours ago

Huh that's really interesting. I didn't know that.

[-] EatATaco@lemm.ee 4 points 1 day ago

Yeah we have a bunch in our neighborhood and when they start going off it's terrifying.

[-] driving_crooner@lemmy.eco.br 21 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

As far as I know they go by pipiripipi pipiripipi ahu ahu ahuuu

[-] psycho_driver@lemmy.world 6 points 1 day ago

I heard they go hatee-hatee-hatee-ho!

[-] blazeknave@lemmy.world 3 points 1 day ago

What does the fox say?

[-] Fester@lemm.ee 16 points 1 day ago

I live in a small city but fairly close to the edge of wooded hills. All sorts of critters venture down around my house. One day, a fox was running around, maybe 50 yards away. It looks at me, runs away a bit, stops and looks back, does it again. I’m on my front porch, near my door. It turns to face me and we lock eyes. Staring contest. We’re having a moment. Suddenly it barks, a gritty high pitched chirp. Felt like an ice cube slid up my butthole.

load more comments (2 replies)
[-] psycho_driver@lemmy.world 19 points 1 day ago

I had a similar experience last week and it turned out a neighbor kid had shot himself with a flare gun.

[-] Randomgal@lemmy.ca 9 points 1 day ago
[-] DeanFogg@lemm.ee 3 points 23 hours ago

On Halloween night...

[-] Shard@lemmy.world 50 points 1 day ago

Cougars have a freaky roar as well. Some say it's where the banshee wail came from

[-] ProstheticBrain@sh.itjust.works 12 points 1 day ago

You might be thinking of foxes, there aren't any cougars in Ireland.

[-] DokPsy@lemmy.world 7 points 1 day ago

Avalynne O’Brien is pretty close

load more comments (1 replies)
[-] kemsat@lemmy.world 6 points 1 day ago

I’d say cougars inspired the folktale of La Llorona.

[-] BaroqueInMind@lemmy.one 74 points 1 day ago

Anon doesn't know what a wild fox mating call sounds like and is a dumb fuck.

[-] Rusty@lemmy.ca 5 points 1 day ago

If you are curious how that sounds like, here's a helpful video https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jofNR_WkoCE

[-] SaharaMaleikuhm@feddit.org 10 points 1 day ago

Exactly, just let it in and mate with it. What a rube

[-] henfredemars@infosec.pub 46 points 1 day ago

It’s not unusual to have brief hallucinations right before falling asleep. It’s happened to me on occasion. That’s another possible explanation.

[-] janus2@lemmy.zip 8 points 1 day ago

What sounds like a scream could also be an episode of "exploding head syndrome" (the most hilariously dramatically named relatively mundane sleep phenomenon)

I've experienced it a handful of times in my life and it is very startling! Especially the 2 times where it sounded like someone shouting my name from inside my skull. Brains are so weird

[-] shalafi@lemmy.world 3 points 23 hours ago

Just got one the other night, first time in ages. Sounds exactly like a shotgun going off.

[-] ChocoboRocket@lemmy.world 21 points 1 day ago

I've heard rabbits being carried off by owls in the night also sounds like a child being murdered

[-] Letsdothis@lemmy.world 2 points 22 hours ago

Don't be a puss anon...

I was hanging out in a park by a river one night with some friends, just grilling and watching the stars, chill night in nature. We heard a sound like a sorority group laughing and walking around near our camp. At first we didn't think too much of it since we were in a public park near a college town.

I got up to grab something out of my truck and saw the glowong eyes in the dark and quickly realized that was not a group of college girls but a pack of coyotes scoping out our food/cooler/us. We packed up the truck and noped out pretty quick after that.

load more comments
view more: next ›
this post was submitted on 04 Oct 2024
348 points (95.1% liked)

Greentext

4130 readers
2587 users here now

This is a place to share greentexts and witness the confounding life of Anon. If you're new to the Greentext community, think of it as a sort of zoo with Anon as the main attraction.

Be warned:

If you find yourself getting angry (or god forbid, agreeing) with something Anon has said, you might be doing it wrong.

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS