submitted 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago) by doublepepperoni@hexbear.net to c/games@hexbear.net

Death Stranding came out in 2019. Death Stranding 2 will come out in 2025. That's six years for two games. If these were the PS2 days Kojima would have cranked out 3 Death Stranding games by now and we'd be getting Death Stranding 3: Subsistence along with a teaser for Death Stranding 4 next year.

Remember when video game trilogies used be to a huge thing in the sixth and seventh generations? You'd typically get 3 games in about 5-7 years

See: Halo, Gears of War, Resistance, Killzone, etc

top 50 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] infuziSporg@hexbear.net 2 points 10 hours ago

Oh no, looks like you'll have nothing to play, because the only games that are ever available to play are ones released in the past 5 years. There definitely is not a cumulative total of games that is more than you could ever imagine playing in 5 whole lifetimes, no sir. You're literally going to have to stare at a wall for 12 months straight while you wait for Death Stranding 2. Consider it practice/mental toning for the actual game.

[-] doublepepperoni@hexbear.net 1 points 10 hours ago

I haven't even played the first game

[-] umbrella@lemmy.ml 3 points 12 hours ago

meanwhile rockstar and bethesda be like

[-] BelieveRevolt@hexbear.net 4 points 19 hours ago

UFO 50 was originally announced in 2017 and it released just a while ago. You should play that game, it owns.

[-] plinky@hexbear.net 45 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

uncritical support to no crunch time rat-salute

Idk supergiant (I think I’ve heard they are fairly tight inside) seems fine doing one small game in three years? Instead of yearly ubisoft slop (they make them like in 2? Or did they switch to 3?)

Larian or rockstar do like one in 5 years (although rockstar sucks on working part)

[-] booty@hexbear.net 7 points 1 day ago

rockstar do like one in 5 years

yeah rockstar makes games that take so much effort that they probably shouldn't exist at all, so they take a long time to make even under awful crunch conditions

[-] CommunistBear@hexbear.net 9 points 1 day ago

Hades 2 needs to come out faster though cri

[-] ryepunk@hexbear.net 2 points 21 hours ago

The next patch is coming any day now!

I tell myself this every day for the last month because I want to see what comes next so badly.

[-] CommunistBear@hexbear.net 3 points 17 hours ago

I'm not on PC though so I need to wait until it's fully out before I get to enjoy it

[-] SSJMarx@lemm.ee 6 points 1 day ago

Same. The things I'd change to reduce game dev time are game scope and photorealistic graphics, haven't finished a AAA game in years because they're too long.

load more comments (2 replies)
[-] iheartneopets@lemm.ee 6 points 1 day ago

(I'm also fairly tight inside)

[-] blight@hexbear.net 45 points 1 day ago

Surely this means games are higher quality and more enjoyable now right?

[-] homhom9000@hexbear.net 27 points 1 day ago

higher quality

Of course! It'll use generative AI to bring us 8K graphics.

[-] Zementid@feddit.nl 7 points 23 hours ago* (last edited 22 hours ago)

Maybe an unpopular opinion but:

I like games with good mechanics and satisfying loops. I take a Teardown over Horizon Zero Dawn any time. Both games are great, but one focused it's resources on one thing they really owned, the other is a playable movie.

A GTA clone with simulated reactions of the environment, based on player actions would be as fun as the designed stuff. Even if it's wonky it feels more real.

Imagine Rockstar would do Dwarf-Fortress. They could never reach this depth with their team of 1000 in 10 years because they would do the mechanics "manually". Look at GTA5 and how sterile the world feels while it looks amazing. Shooting down a Plane? No reaction at all. Give me Minecraft graphics and simulate the emergency/social/media/physical response for such an disaster based on existing game rules. That would be fun. (And is the secret of Indie games like Rainworld, DF, Teardown, CDDA, Minecraft, Project Zomboid, .... and the new Zelda Games or Space-Engineers).

I would even like to see how a game like "Facade" would turn out today with the support of LLM for the dialogue.

Or: Remember Serious Sam? 100ds of enemies at once? Why are there no games with Serious Sam 2 graphics and 1000nds of Enemies? Why does everything have to be that "polished".

[-] UlyssesT@hexbear.net 34 points 1 day ago

Star Citizen is on over a decade of development time and is approaching a billion dollars in rube investments. the-more-you-know

[-] riseuppikmin@hexbear.net 15 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

I'm not up to date with the latest lore. What's the next "after server meshing NOW the game will be ready?" technology or are we still waiting on server meshing?

[-] UlyssesT@hexbear.net 14 points 1 day ago

Server meshing is the "Jesus tech" that the true believers are praying for that will somehow make all the jank evaporate in a puff of euphoria.

[-] Sam@hexbear.net 11 points 1 day ago

They've started live testing server meshing and its hilarious because when it actually works you realise they didnt design any facet of the game for more than 20 players at a time. There literally arnt enough habs for people to spawn in, way to little elevators and screens. Everything is diagetic but in such limited quantities that when they did the 1000 player test (Which only got to 750 before crashing) people had to form actual queues to use the terminals to spawn ships. Unlike a lot of people I'm pretty confident they'll eventually release a proper game I just dont think it will be any fun at all. They just keep making the game more and more tedious in the name of "realism".

[-] 12022081631@hexbear.net 25 points 1 day ago

i personally think that death stranding 3 should be an MSX/NES game and the only inputs you should have to hold to carry stuff is A+B and it should have four-directional movement and the game audio should be on an 8 track and the game tells you when to press play on the walkman and hideo should have it done in time for my ascent to the nearby bell tower when im really gonna show em

[-] GalaxyBrain@hexbear.net 7 points 1 day ago

If you suggested that to Hideo Kojima, he might think it's genuinely a great idea. I'd play that

load more comments (9 replies)
[-] lil_tank@hexbear.net 30 points 1 day ago

Take it with a grain of salt but from what I know of the industry it's mostly a management problem. Sure games are ambitious but we have so many tools at our disposal and game developers are, in fact, extremely fucking skilled. However the suits thought that the SCRUM methodology was cool and now instead of having a general direction for the project, devs have to vomit code and assets until the amount of slop is enough to look like a game

[-] UlyssesT@hexbear.net 25 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

SCRUM

dead-dove-1 doesn't know what exactly SCRUM is

dead-dove-2 looks up SCRUM

corporate-art corporate-art corporate-art corporate-art corporate-art corporate-art corporate-art corporate-art corporate-art corporate-art corporate-art corporate-art corporate-art corporate-art corporate-art corporate-art corporate-art corporate-art corporate-art corporate-art corporate-art corporate-art corporate-art corporate-art corporate-art corporate-art corporate-art corporate-art corporate-art corporate-art corporate-art corporate-art corporate-art corporate-art corporate-art corporate-art corporate-art corporate-art

dead-dove-3

[-] ElChapoDeChapo@hexbear.net 12 points 1 day ago

Yeah it sucks

Back when I dreamed of being a game dev I went back to college for it and they taught this bullshit in the class

load more comments (1 replies)
[-] Collatz_problem@hexbear.net 9 points 1 day ago

Our project uses waterfall disguised as agile.

load more comments (6 replies)
[-] Gorb@hexbear.net 17 points 1 day ago

I am a victim of agile and we spend probably half the work hours in a week on agile shite alone. But it generates pretty graphs for the useless execs because its not about producing anything but about control.

[-] companero@hexbear.net 20 points 1 day ago

Yeah, something is definitely wrong. It's easy to point to complexity or whatever as the problem, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was microplastics rotting the devs' brains or something.

[-] Infamousblt@hexbear.net 28 points 1 day ago

It's not that hard to pinpoint the problem. The problem is capitalism.

[-] barrbaric@hexbear.net 16 points 1 day ago

I broadly agree but I don't think that Kojimbo is the best example lol, isn't part of why he got fired from Konami that he was taking too long on MGSV?

I also think that part of the reason for longer dev times/cycles between games is that everything wants to be a GaaS, so development is continuing for a longer period after release.

When it comes to Elder Scrolls 6, idk, Todd just don't got the magic anymore.

[-] StarkWolf@hexbear.net 17 points 1 day ago

Elder Scrolls 6 is pretty easy to explain, they simply were not working on it, focused entirely on Starfield. That teaser from years ago was a distraction to make you think they were still working on it, and to get shareholders to shut up about them not putting out the next installment.

[-] UlyssesT@hexbear.net 15 points 1 day ago

90% of my interest in Elder Scrolls 6 evaporated when I read that Starfield was the basis of the game's engine and that the upcoming game would "continue the exciting exploration and discovery themes of Starfield."

nyet

[-] AtomPunk@hexbear.net 14 points 1 day ago

I’m just glad to get another Civ game this decade. I just hope it’s as good as Civ 6 sadness

[-] Comp4@hexbear.net 9 points 1 day ago

Oh, another Civ 6 enjoyer! I'm actually not the biggest Civ fan (I just prefer some other 4X games), but I do enjoy the series and have been playing it since Civ 4. The thing is, these games usually need two expansions before they really feel complete to me. That was the case with Civ 4, Civ 5, and Civ 6, and I assume it will be the same with Civ 7.

On a different note, I actually really like that each modern Civ game tries something slightly different (looking at Civ 7). It always leads to some backlash, but it also cements each entry as a new spin on the series.

I'm aware Civ 6 got some pushback, especially from older fans, due to the art style (I think it's totally fine, if a bit Pixar-esque). But Civ 6 is also the biggest Civ game so far in terms of numbers and success.

So I'm almost certain they are going to cook for CIV 7 (Im of the opinion they cooked with every single CIV game ...they are just different and appeal to different people at times)

[-] AtomPunk@hexbear.net 5 points 1 day ago

I've tried to get into other 4X's like Europa, Stellaris CK but the learning curve is pretty high admittedly! I'll give Europa another shot someday.

I actually welcome how each Civ tries to do something different, but the districts in 6 are such a huge addition that I'm a little sad they won't return in 7 in the same fashion. Nothing lights up my monkey brain like finding a +6 Campus/IZ/Harbor tile knight-nod

If there's one thing I worry for 7, it's that the fanbase for 5 is very vocal online. I enjoyed 5 for what it was at its time but going back now it seems TOO simple with the streamlined culture tree and the overemphasis on building Tall. It's a 4X game, turtling at 4 cities is no fun!! The less influence the better.

I started with Civ Rev I for the PS3, I appreciate the goofy art style in 6 haha.

[-] Comp4@hexbear.net 3 points 20 hours ago

Not to be "that" guy, but Stellaris and especially Europa Universalis fall more into the Grand Strategy genre than 4X. Grand Strategy games are usually more complex than 4X games (such as Civ, Endless Legend, etc.). So if you're looking for alternatives to Civ, maybe focus specifically on 4X games? They should offer simpler gameplay by comparison.

[-] Gorb@hexbear.net 18 points 1 day ago

Didnt they drop a teaser for OD as well? Not just death stranding 2. There are so many games coming out all the time i'm always falling behind anyway, I dont think more slop faster is necessary

[-] MonsterRancher@hexbear.net 17 points 1 day ago

Even indie games take years and years, although it makes more sense for them. Silksong still has no release date right?

load more comments (3 replies)
[-] peeonyou@hexbear.net 18 points 1 day ago

yeah but did they spend $200+ million per game?

[-] ElChapoDeChapo@hexbear.net 16 points 1 day ago

Seems like dev times are either way too long or games are rushed out too early these days with almost no middle ground

[-] let_me_tank_her@hexbear.net 15 points 1 day ago

RGG's Yakuza games are the only good games at this point. kiryu-dame-da-ne

[-] LaGG_3@hexbear.net 13 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

Are getting? I feel like we've already been at that point for a while now

Edit: Plus, games are getting too long and bloated. 100+ hours is a lot for a single playthrough

[-] grandepequeno@hexbear.net 12 points 1 day ago

Death stranding was announced in 2016 (probably been in dev since 2015) and released in 2019, that's 3-4 years. With the basic gameplay already done, and a lot of systems already locked down, how the fuck does Death Stranding 2 take 5-6 years to make? What are they making?

[-] inlandempire@jlai.lu 14 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

I do think they (Kojiprod) didn't even consider a sequel until after COVID. If I remember well, in some interviews Kojima mentioned that the first game would have been completely different if the lockdown had happened during development time, and it is implied that DS2 is a direct response to it.

Now here's the thing, even with that information in mind (let's say Kojima starts writing in 2021, and preprod follows), they should still not take as long, because the core systems are already there, so I'm not sure what's taking so long. My guess would be scanning/filming for cutscenes, because at this point it's going to be more of a movie than a game

load more comments
view more: next ›
this post was submitted on 02 Oct 2024
63 points (97.0% liked)

games

20450 readers
556 users here now

Tabletop, DnD, board games, and minecraft. Also Animal Crossing.

Rules

founded 4 years ago
MODERATORS