submitted 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago) by doublepepperoni@hexbear.net to c/games@hexbear.net

Death Stranding came out in 2019. Death Stranding 2 will come out in 2025. That's six years for two games. If these were the PS2 days Kojima would have cranked out 3 Death Stranding games by now and we'd be getting Death Stranding 3: Subsistence along with a teaser for Death Stranding 4 next year.

Remember when video game trilogies used be to a huge thing in the sixth and seventh generations? You'd typically get 3 games in about 5-7 years

See: Halo, Gears of War, Resistance, Killzone, etc

you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] SSJMarx@lemm.ee 6 points 1 day ago

Same. The things I'd change to reduce game dev time are game scope and photorealistic graphics, haven't finished a AAA game in years because they're too long.

[-] plinky@hexbear.net 3 points 1 day ago

I’m kinda fine-ish with eye candy, it could be neat on a budget 5 years later, scope though grinds my gears, don’t need your square kilometers of procedurally generated forest with dick to show for it except randomly placed animals. I want to get lost in a forest I will go to a real forest. Same for half the cities, like I get how gta landed there, but as a result walking in that game feels just wasteful in time

[-] emeralddawn45@discuss.tchncs.de 2 points 5 hours ago

Except if youre only playing the games with cutting edge graphics 5 years later then they could just make games with 5 year old graphics tech and you could play brand new games and youd still have identical graphical experiences.

[-] plinky@hexbear.net 1 points 34 minutes ago

I don’t think game dev changes that much (timewise) with older graphics but same scope (maybe I’m wrong), you still have to have artist design this shit with lighting, surfaces, colors etc, it doesn’t (again, I suspect, not a dev) become that simpler/faster just because you used ue4 instead of ue5 to draw a city, for example. If you spend roughly same time, it’s probably a wash what you used.

this post was submitted on 02 Oct 2024
64 points (97.1% liked)

games

20450 readers
527 users here now

Tabletop, DnD, board games, and minecraft. Also Animal Crossing.

Rules

founded 4 years ago
MODERATORS