submitted 8 hours ago* (last edited 1 hour ago) by simple@lemm.ee to c/games@lemmy.world

Wow, this is awful. Some people reported that these ads are also very petty and not necessarily related to the game, like apparently Elden Ring shows an ad for a licensed mousepad when you hover over the game now...

Edit: Playstation Product Manager says this is actually a new bug. I really doubt it but they do seem to be "fixing it".

top 50 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] lazycouchpotato@lemmy.world 22 points 2 hours ago

$80/yr subscription to play online

30% cut from all sales

Ads on homescreen

Lackluster game library, busy remastering perfectly good games

Single purpose device

PS5 will be my last ever console. I don't see the value proposition in consoles anymore with the rise of PC handhelds.

[-] Landless2029@lemmy.world 3 points 38 minutes ago

Even better. The steamdeck is like the Switch. Dock it and play on your TV. You can even render on a gaming PC and stream to your TV of you want those cutting edge graphics.

[-] gsfraley@lemmy.world 2 points 2 hours ago* (last edited 2 hours ago)

Agreed. Just canceled PS Plus. Fuck Sony for the shitty bender they've been on.

[-] Awesomo85@sh.itjust.works 31 points 4 hours ago

$700 gets you a pretty nice PC these days.....

[-] Flamekebab@piefed.social 22 points 3 hours ago
[-] celsiustimeline@lemmy.dbzer0.com 6 points 2 hours ago

Or one Steam Deck if you are in Canada!

[-] celsiustimeline@lemmy.dbzer0.com 2 points 2 hours ago

Hmmm, I don't know about "pretty nice". You'd be lucky to build something with a 12th gen i5 and a 3060 for under $1000. More like you can get a serviceable PC that runs 1080p games at 60fps, but no AAA title from the past 5 years will perform reliably.

[-] BigPotato@lemmy.world 4 points 2 hours ago

I'm still using a 1070ti and hitting stable 60fps with newer games. Medium to low settings, usually but most slow down comes from poor optimization since I'm running a 12th Gen and regularly see medium usage on both GPU and CPU.

[-] GladiusB@lemmy.world 4 points 2 hours ago

It's still worth it for the freedom and then upgrade with time

[-] AgentGrimstone@lemmy.world 36 points 4 hours ago

Now I see why they never allowed custom backgrounds like the PS4. They wanted to do this from the beginning.

[-] celsiustimeline@lemmy.dbzer0.com 14 points 4 hours ago

Every single day that goes by, I am so glad I didn't waste my money on a PS5 or Xbox Series. PS4 was my last hurrah with Sony, and the 360 was the last hurrah with Microsoft. If Nintendo pulls this same crap with the Switch 2, I'll be PC exclusively.

[-] TJDetweiler@lemmy.ca 3 points 2 hours ago

You can play Nintendo games on PC, with the added bonus of not giving money to that ghoulish company.

I played BotW and TotK on my PC, and let me tell you friend, with the increased frame rate, and the ability to run reshade, it looks and feels better than ever.

[-] nul9o9@lemmy.world 2 points 2 hours ago

My PS5 is really just a Demons Souls Remake machine.

[-] frigidaphelion@lemmy.world 2 points 2 hours ago

For real, this was 85% of the reason I caved lmao. The other 15% was that I was presented with the opportunity to purchase one at a time when that was rare so I said fuck it

[-] drunkpostdisaster@lemmy.world 5 points 3 hours ago

Whats even the point? I get so many ads that they are almost entirely ineffective now. Its just white noise, the sound of the wind, the idle thoughts in my brain I am just hit with so many that none stick.

[-] 2pt_perversion@lemmy.world 12 points 4 hours ago

I'm so glad I quit consoles. Now I'm just rooting for steam to get every game running perfectly in linux so we don't have to deal with Windows either.

[-] Asafum@feddit.nl 122 points 7 hours ago* (last edited 7 hours ago)

Man it is never enough with these greedy fucking assholes. I don't even own one and I'm mad about this... It's with everything lately... Soon we'll have ads in our fucking dreams like Futurama....

"But not in our dreams!"

Ugh the constan dream ad reruns

trying to get back in a nightmare to avoid seeing puppymonkeybaby again

Cannabis will be sold as a way to escape the constant dreamvertising.

[-] Asafum@feddit.nl 13 points 6 hours ago

I can't even smoke anymore... Stupid anxiety... THC triggers panic attacks and I've finally gotten to the point where even if my bowl is 90% CBD it still gets me...

[-] the_post_of_tom_joad@sh.itjust.works 12 points 6 hours ago* (last edited 6 hours ago)

Not to get all serious n shit but as a fellow sufferer i hope you're getting your anxiety treated. I didnt listen to my friends when they told me it progressively gets worse and kept gutting it out until i was non-functioning and had to get a pro to get me back on my feet.

None of my biz just hope you're taking care of yourself

load more comments (3 replies)
[-] GaMEChld@lemmy.world 2 points 2 hours ago

Build a gaming rig on Newegg credit, pay it off interest free in 12-24 months depending on current deals.

[-] barnaclebutt@lemmy.world 3 points 3 hours ago

The PS5 was such a disappointing mispurchase. I was so excited to finally get one... It just doesn't feel like any major improvement over a PS4. It is just gathering dust except for the occasional Blu-ray movie.

[-] celsiustimeline@lemmy.dbzer0.com 2 points 3 hours ago

The promise with new consoles used to be "look at our new console, it has a new controller, a new philosophy of game design, AND better graphics! that will be $250 please!" and now, new consoles are like "we haven't changed our game design philosophy, menu UI, or the controller in 20 years, but now we have a new lighting effect that you won't even be able to make out because we've added so much motion blur to our titles to hide the poor frame rates! that'll be $700 please!"

[-] ilikecoffee@lemmy.world 13 points 5 hours ago

Guess I'm staying with my PS4 then. Fuck upgrading if all I'm gonna get for it is ads and like, 2 more games..

[-] xlash123@sh.itjust.works 62 points 7 hours ago

Artist: designs really cool visual for gamers to see before launching

Sony: "Oooo, free ad real-estate!"

[-] Nexy@lemmy.sdf.org 6 points 4 hours ago

Looks like the console wasn't expensive enough!

[-] ByteOnBikes@slrpnk.net 24 points 6 hours ago

PCMasterRace. Each year, your consoles get shittier.

[-] GoodEye8@lemm.ee 25 points 6 hours ago

To be fair, Windows is getting worse every year as well and Linux isn't officially supported by most developers so you kinda need to compromise somewhere.

I personally went with Linux because I got fed up with Windows bullshit and the games I can't play are mostly games I'm not really interested in playing in the first place.

[-] celsiustimeline@lemmy.dbzer0.com 1 points 3 hours ago

Despite how shitty Windows is getting, the UX is still leagues better than any console.

load more comments (3 replies)
load more comments (5 replies)
[-] CaptDust@sh.itjust.works 52 points 7 hours ago

Sweet, just in time for the pro. Fingers crossed the next revision doesn't play games at all, just $1000 to pipe Morbius trailers to my TV. It's all I ever wanted.

load more comments (4 replies)
[-] PunchingWood@lemmy.world 87 points 8 hours ago* (last edited 7 hours ago)

What an absolutely terrible fucking idea.

Can't wait for major story spoilers to show up full-screen on the background of the homescreen because clickbaiters on YouTube are fucking assholes.

Also really don't need product placement on the home, I am on my PS5 to play games, not to fucking buy stuff. It's a console, not a goddamn webshop.

This really needs an option to get disabled.

Edit: Reading again it just seems to get worse. Looking at the alternative game ads, offers and promotions when selecting a game seems borderline against consumer laws, at least in EU. Especially kids could be easily targeted and triggered by this. Also most of these examples make it look like you're starting up an entirely different game, it's just such a awful update all together. No self-respecting interface designer would come up with this, it's 100% corporate predatory marketing cunts that came up with this kind of stuff.

load more comments (5 replies)
[-] Squizzy@lemmy.world 3 points 4 hours ago

Hate when this shit is pulled, wonder if it om the pro. Imagine paying pro prices for unstoppable ads.

This is also directly targetted to people giving additional money. If you are connected to the internet you are likely, or previously, a subscriber. If you are not paying a sub you are more likely to disconnect and not be affected.

[-] Aielman15@lemmy.world 57 points 8 hours ago

Sony looking at the rotting corpse of Xbox and taking notes. But only the wrong ones.

[-] slaacaa@lemmy.world 3 points 2 hours ago

They are doing this because a rotten corpse doesn’t force them to compete, they can do whatever they want. If MS didn’t shit the bed with the X Seeries, Sony would be trying harder to please customers, or at least not actively screwing them (see also: 800 EUR PS5 Pro without disc drive or vertical stand).

[-] BenReilly97@lemmy.world 9 points 5 hours ago

At least Microsoft hasn't announced a marginally improved $700 pro console that doesn't even come with the disk drive.

Yet.

[-] vanontom@lemmy.world 5 points 3 hours ago* (last edited 3 hours ago)

I wonder if anybody remembers when it leaked Microsoft had a concept of a plan about restrictions on Xbox discs (used/shared), everyone gasped, Sony mocked them in a video about "sharing discs" on PS4 and became a turning point in the console wars...

Even a decade later: Remove discs at your peril! Half the reason I've even bought consoles is for Blu-ray movies (still unbeatable AV quality). Sony won both the console and disc drive wars FFS! Still not enough. "Line must go up more!"

I hope MS is at least mocking them back right now, for giggles. Before announcing a very similar thing next year...

load more comments
view more: next ›
this post was submitted on 30 Sep 2024
424 points (99.8% liked)

Games

31932 readers
2174 users here now

Welcome to the largest gaming community on Lemmy! Discussion for all kinds of games. Video games, tabletop games, card games etc.

Weekly Threads:

What Are You Playing?

The Weekly Discussion Topic

Rules:

1. Submissions have to be related to games

2. No bigotry or harassment, be civil

3. No excessive self-promotion

4. Stay on-topic; no memes, funny videos, giveaways, reposts, or low-effort posts

5. Mark Spoilers and NSFW

6. No linking to piracy

More information about the community rules can be found here.

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS