daniellamyoung_3h

Unpopular opinion: you only hate chat gpt because it makes it harder to stack rank and discriminate against people.

So what everyone can write well now? great it's a tool! Just like moving faster because you drive a car.

The good news is you'll be easily able to hire for that writing job you need. The bad news is you won't be able to discriminate against candidates who are not as good with the written word.

Also, an obsession with the written word is a tenant of white supremacy [salute emoji]

Ian Rennie
‪@theangelremiel.bsky.social‬

Man, this probably hits really hard if you're fuckin stupid.

top 50 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] Taleya@aussie.zone 2 points 1 hour ago

Spoken like someone who thinks they can cheat their way to talent

Ya can't

[-] swlabr@awful.systems 4 points 4 hours ago

I looked through her recent replies on threads, and while she has deleted the original post, it looks like she is doubling down on this take:

I guess I’ll say this in a different way, the language around that SOME people are using around chat GPT is the same panic language society always uses with new “advancements” or tools. We saw it when GPS became a thing, we see it now with people freaking out about cursive going away, and oh my, they definitely saw it with calculators. At its core it’s a “geez how are we gonna tell people apart anymore, if we can’t test these skills.” That’s not the only argument about it…

there are plenty of things to talk about about AI But this language definitely exists in the conversation. I recognize it easily, because it’s very, very Culty. It’s this very apocalyptic nature of discussion around it instead of the acknowledgment that human beings will keep building tools that will change everything.

every time a new tool makes certain skills that we test for to rank folks obsolete human beings freak out

To which all this I say… wow, she really has decided to just ignore all the discourse about generative AI*, huh? Like sure you can use this analogy but it breaks down pretty quickly, especially when you spend like 5 minutes doing any research on this stuff.

*Would love to start using a new term here because AI oversells the whole concept. I was thinking of tacking something onto procedural generation? Mass PG? LLMPG/LPG? Added benefit of evoking petroleum gas.

[-] Taleya@aussie.zone 2 points 1 hour ago* (last edited 1 hour ago)

That analogy is horseshit because gps and the death of cursive were both need based

Generative ai / chat gpt for writing fiction has no need nor real purpose despite them desperately pinwheeling about jamming it everywhere possible.

[-] swlabr@awful.systems 1 points 20 minutes ago

Absolutely.

[-] froztbyte@awful.systems 3 points 4 hours ago

I've been playing with "mass averaging synthesis machines", variations on "automated plagiarism", "content theftwashing systems"

still undecided tho

[-] YexingTudou@lemmy.ml 2 points 2 hours ago

Considering the amount I have to say the term whenever ranting or debating, something that can be shortened is welcomed. I like the idea of calling "automated plagiarism," since it can be shortened to "autoplag" which is also ugly sounding.

[-] swlabr@awful.systems 1 points 1 hour ago

autoplag pronounced like “auto-plag” or “auto-plage”?

[-] NigelFrobisher@aussie.zone 11 points 8 hours ago

If everyone can write well now then explain this post.

[-] Amoeba_Girl@awful.systems 30 points 16 hours ago

It's just a tool, like cars! My definition of tools is things that are being forced on us even though they're terrible for the environment and make everyone's life worse!

[-] MindTraveller@lemmy.ca 6 points 10 hours ago

It's a tool, just like cars, in that both are terrible for the environment and risk the survival of the human species as well as countless ecosystems.

[-] gerikson@awful.systems 56 points 19 hours ago

"tenant of white supremacy"

White Supremacy is the worst landlord.

[-] thanks_shakey_snake@lemmy.ca 3 points 8 hours ago

YOU JUST OUTED YOURSELF, PUNK! That was a trap and you FELL for it!

[-] casmael@lemm.ee 9 points 18 hours ago

Well spotted I’d kinda checked out by that point to be honest

[-] Phil_in_here@lemmy.ca 38 points 21 hours ago

ChatGPT is great because you can use it to show a potential employer how good your writing is for that writing job they'll totally pay you to use ChatGPT to do.

It is and always has been racism that has stopped bad writers from getting writing jobs.

/s

[-] conciselyverbose@sh.itjust.works 20 points 20 hours ago

Imagining judging someone for a job about communicating with people on their ability to communicate with people effectively.

[-] Soyweiser@awful.systems 26 points 21 hours ago

brb, time to go shout 'fucking nazis tenants' at my local library.

[-] phx@lemmy.ca 11 points 18 hours ago

Except that the ability to communicate is a very real skill that's important for many jobs, and ChatGPT in this case is the equivalent to an advanced version of spelling+grammar check combined with a (sometimes) expert system.

So yeah, if there's somebody who can actually write a good introduction letter and answer questions on an interview, verses somebody who just manages to get ChatGPT to generate a cover and answer questions quickly: which one is more likely going to be able to communicate well:

• with co-workers
  • in a crisis,
  • without potentially providing sensitive data to a third-party tool
  • While providing reliable answers based on fact without "hallucinating"

Don't get me wrong, it can even the field for some people in some positions. I know somebody who uses it to generate templates for various questions/situations and then puts in the appropriate details, resulting in a well-formatted communication. It's quite useful for people who have professional knowledge of a situation but might have lesser writing ability due to being ESL, etc. However, that is always in a situation where there's time to sanitize the inputs and validate the output, often choosing from and reworking the prompt to get the desired result.

In many cases it's not going to be available past the application/overview process due to privacy concerns and it's still a crap-shoot on providing accurate information. We've already seen cases of lawyers and other professionals also relying on it for professional info that turns out to be completely fabricated.

[-] SpaceNoodle@lemmy.world 13 points 17 hours ago

LLMs are distinctly different from expert systems.

Expert systems are designed to be perfectly correct in specific domains, but not to communicate.

LLMs are designed to generate confident statements with no regard for correctness.

[-] phx@lemmy.ca 4 points 11 hours ago

Yeah. I should have said "illusions of" an expert system or something similar. An LLM can for example produce decent working code to meet a given request, but it can also spit out garbage that doesn't work or has major vulnerabilities. It's a crap shoot

[-] o7___o7@awful.systems 7 points 15 hours ago* (last edited 15 hours ago)

Don't make me tap the sign

This is not debate club

We don't correct people when they are wrong. We do other things.

[-] froztbyte@awful.systems 6 points 17 hours ago* (last edited 15 hours ago)

alert alert we've got of one of them on the doorstep

[-] acausal_masochist@awful.systems 2 points 10 hours ago

I don't understand what part of their statement you read as pro-LLM

[-] froztbyte@awful.systems 4 points 9 hours ago

arguing-from-existence of expert systems (which were the fantasy in the previous wave)

load more comments (2 replies)
[-] unemployedclaquer@sopuli.xyz 25 points 21 hours ago

Tenant was that Christopher Nolan movie with the bad audio. Quality comparison.

[-] deadbeef79000@lemmy.nz 9 points 16 hours ago

No that was Tenet, you're thinking of a tent.

[-] V0ldek@awful.systems 10 points 14 hours ago

No, a tent is a shelter made out of fabric, you're thinking of Tencent

[-] Eccitaze@yiffit.net 9 points 14 hours ago

No, tencent is a Chinese tech company, you're thinking of tenement.

[-] hitmyspot@aussie.zone 3 points 8 hours ago

No, that’s a housing subdivided for rent. Your thinking of Tennant’s.

[-] xantoxis@lemmy.world 18 points 21 hours ago

New hire firefighter [leaning against a dumpster]: yeah I used the AI that puts out fires to get this job. They would have been able to discriminate against me if I hadn't done that. Glad that in this crazy fucked up trash fire of a world, there's still something out there helping to level the playing field.

Veteran firefighter: that trash behind you is on literally on fire

[-] maol@awful.systems 17 points 21 hours ago

Surely that's an AI generated pfp

[-] dgerard@awful.systems 11 points 20 hours ago

apparently she is a real known person from military twitter

[-] dgerard@awful.systems 13 points 20 hours ago
[-] swlabr@awful.systems 5 points 5 hours ago

My understanding is that through her experience, she has developed a career around analysing cults (as well as other things) which is great! We need that in the world.

However she has unfortunately missed the areas where her expertise would be really insightful (SV itself basically) and taken this weird tack. Dunning Kruger be like that sometimes

[-] froztbyte@awful.systems 9 points 19 hours ago

my heuristic: I can understand a shitty past giving crescent to bad reactions, but the moment you start choosing bad things with current-era things I rapidly start losing grace and patience

(and yeah I know there's a continuum of stuff between A and B, but anyone showing up in a fucking news article of this shape is generally well past accident)

[-] DarkThoughts@fedia.io 6 points 18 hours ago

My immediate thought as well. Reads like rage bait too.

[-] SweetCitrusBuzz@beehaw.org 14 points 21 hours ago

Okay, show me a system that was only trained on data given with explicit permission and hopefully compensation and I'll happily be fine with it.

But that isn't what these capitalists, tech obsessives etc they have done. They take take take and give nothing back.

They do not understand nor care about consent, that's the crux of the issue.

I couldn't care less if all the training data was consensual.

[-] jlow@beehaw.org 14 points 20 hours ago

But even if it there was an LLM that used only ethical sources it would still need massive amounts of energy for training and using so until we're 100% renewable and the whole world gets as much of that energy as they need ...

[-] SweetCitrusBuzz@beehaw.org 6 points 20 hours ago

This is fair. I was more responding to the person in the picture's point that we care more that other people who don't have the skills or perhaps ability to write can now when no, that's not really the problem.

But you do raise a good point.

[-] mpk@awful.systems 12 points 21 hours ago

how to let people know you're not a talented writer but think you should be without telling people you're not a talented writer but you think you should be

[-] froztbyte@awful.systems 8 points 19 hours ago

holy hell that inner is all kinds of past-even-wrong

is there some kind of idiocy gdq rankweekend event that I missed the announcement for?

[-] HowManyNimons@lemmy.world 11 points 21 hours ago

Should have used chatGPT.

[-] magnetosphere@fedia.io 7 points 19 hours ago

Serious question: what does “stack rank” mean?

[-] Maestro@fedia.io 11 points 16 hours ago

See https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitality_curve

It's become really popular in large tech companies and it's fucking stupid.

[-] Amoeba_Girl@awful.systems 4 points 6 hours ago

I read that as "vitality cure" and didn't think twice about it, seemed the appropriate level of evil.

[-] magnetosphere@fedia.io 7 points 16 hours ago

Thank you. I’ve never even heard of the term before, and didn’t know if it was slang, a typo, or what. It wouldn’t have occurred to me to search for it.

[-] Rolando@lemmy.world 6 points 19 hours ago

That's just a strawman fallacy followed by a "guilt by association" fallacy.

[-] swlabr@awful.systems 3 points 5 hours ago

Please show working

this post was submitted on 28 Sep 2024
96 points (100.0% liked)

TechTakes

1287 readers
407 users here now

Big brain tech dude got yet another clueless take over at HackerNews etc? Here's the place to vent. Orange site, VC foolishness, all welcome.

This is not debate club. Unless it’s amusing debate.

For actually-good tech, you want our NotAwfulTech community

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS