you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] uralsolo@hexbear.net 53 points 11 months ago

German's Aren't White

-Ben Franklin

[-] Tachanka@hexbear.net 47 points 11 months ago* (last edited 11 months ago)

it's true, he really said it

CW: Benjamin Franklin being racist against everybody except anglos and speculating that space aliens would want to see more white people

[-] tripartitegraph@hexbear.net 29 points 11 months ago

He also had a quote that I read in Losurso’s Liberalism where he wrote to a doctor and basically said “aren’t you ashamed that you save all these people who don’t deserve it?”

[-] 2Password2Remember@hexbear.net 28 points 11 months ago

swedes

swarthy complexion

what?

Death to America

[-] Ram_The_Manparts@hexbear.net 8 points 11 months ago

I think it was down to the fact that most Swedes were peasants back then so were tanned from working outside in the sun

One of the clearest examples of how massively stupid the concept of "whiteness" is

[-] VILenin@hexbear.net 24 points 11 months ago

Did Ben Racism ever actually go to any of these places? Curious how you would distinguish a German from a Brit purely on the basis of appearance

[-] axont@hexbear.net 33 points 11 months ago

He traveled to Europe, but the Germans he's talking about there were probably the Pennsylvania "Palatine Boor" farmers, who were from around the Rhine Valley. What he really means is that you can visibly distinguish a poor farmer from a white upper class city dweller based on complexion.

He also has a political motivation here to exclude Germans and Swedes from whiteness because Franklin wanted a purely Anglo America since he was racist as heck

[-] VILenin@hexbear.net 21 points 11 months ago

You’re telling me supergenius founding father Franklin (PBUH) couldn’t tell the difference between dirt and having dark skin?

![shocked-pikachu](https://www.hexbear.net/pictrs/image/54be3ef5-1a78-4b59-af0f-991a5994a32a.png "emoji shocked-pikachu")

[-] axont@hexbear.net 23 points 11 months ago* (last edited 11 months ago)

I dunno if you're being sarcastic but if not there used to be a stark divide between pale wealthier white people (indoors) and poorer tanned white people (outdoors). Having a tan put you in a lower caste. Apparently this was such a noticeable thing you could visibly tell which people in Pennsylvania were German or English

[-] VILenin@hexbear.net 12 points 11 months ago

That’s not necessarily an ethnic difference. I’m sure if you kept the Germans indoors 23 hours a day they wouldn’t be “swarthy”.

Seems more like a class divide to me

[-] axont@hexbear.net 12 points 11 months ago

Yeah pretty much. Franklin wanted all non-Anglos to be a lower class in America.

[-] usernamesaredifficul@hexbear.net 8 points 11 months ago

yes but he gets to decide how he's racist and if anyone could make him believe in only rational things he wouldn't be racist

[-] The_Walkening@hexbear.net 21 points 11 months ago* (last edited 11 months ago)

beyond the racism, does this greyhound, bifocal ass wearing motherfucker think that light acts like water and fills available volume not taken up by the dark? or that removing the woods would somehow make the earth's surface substantially more reflective?

[-] GarbageShoot@hexbear.net 4 points 11 months ago

I think he is making reference to leaves and bark often being darker than grass.

[-] UlyssesT@hexbear.net 19 points 11 months ago* (last edited 11 months ago)

And while we are, as I may call it, scouring our planet, by clearing America of woods, and so making this side of our globe reflect a brighter light to the eyes of inhabitants in Mars or Venus...

Techbro brain, not even once, not even in the 1700s.

[-] SaniFlush@hexbear.net 6 points 11 months ago

Never trust a man who walks around his house naked.

this post was submitted on 15 Oct 2023
177 points (100.0% liked)

chapotraphouse

13459 readers
699 users here now

Banned? DM Wmill to appeal.

No anti-nautilism posts. See: Eco-fascism Primer

Vaush posts go in the_dunk_tank

Dunk posts in general go in the_dunk_tank, not here

Don't post low-hanging fruit here after it gets removed from the_dunk_tank

founded 3 years ago
MODERATORS