submitted 2 days ago by NightOwl@lemmy.ca to c/canada@lemmy.ca
you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] GreyEyedGhost@lemmy.ca 4 points 1 day ago

One of the big problems is good, lasting solutions are rarely quick, easy solutions. And most people want solutions now, not 5, 10, or 20 years from now. And let's not even mention how long we neglected these problems to let them get this big. But don't worry, prisons and policemen aren't expensive at all, not like schooling and social programs.

[-] psvrh@lemmy.ca 3 points 23 hours ago

Politicians have had almost 15 years since the drug crisis started in earnest to do something.

What they did was implement a "let'er rip!" non-enforcement strategy that, without supports, housing or healthcare, was basically pouring gasoline on the pre-existing fire. Addicts weren't going to get help, but they were going to get even fewer speedbumps on the road to letting addiction ruin everything for them and around them.

And politicians did this because choosing not to enforce anything while simultaneously not providing supports was the cheapest option. It required doing even less than they were doing at the time, and it let them get kudos for being so progressive and forward looking.

Jump forward fifteen years or so and the toxic fruits have come to bear.

Clamping down on SCS is just another way to avoid spending money fixing the problem.

[-] Nogami@lemmy.world 3 points 1 day ago

I think politicians are getting very close to being handed a mandate from the public that doesn’t include “good” solutions but mean, punitive ones.

[-] GreyEyedGhost@lemmy.ca 2 points 1 day ago

Hence why it's commonly said that one of the foundations for a working democracy is an educated populous.

[-] Nogami@lemmy.world 1 points 21 hours ago

Don’t think education has much to do with it when emotion takes over. If I had a personal experience with it I’d be out for blood too and I’m well educated.

[-] GreyEyedGhost@lemmy.ca 1 points 21 hours ago

Education doesn't mean just imparting knowledge, but also tools for how to think, such as logic and critical thinking. This helps one avoid making or accepting policy decisions based on how they make you feel, but based on reality and actions that will help you achieve your goals.

this post was submitted on 02 Oct 2024
49 points (96.2% liked)

Canada

7145 readers
265 users here now

What's going on Canada?

Communities

🍁 Meta

🗺️ Provinces / Territories

🏙️ Cities / Regions

🏒 SportsHockey

Football (NFL)

• List of All Teams: unknown

Football (CFL)

• List of All Teams: unknown

Baseball

Basketball

Soccer

💻 Universities

💵 Finance / Shopping

🗣️ Politics

🍁 Social & Culture

Rules

Reminder that the rules for lemmy.ca also apply here. See the sidebar on the homepage:

https://lemmy.ca

founded 3 years ago
MODERATORS