[-] CommanderM2192@lemmy.world 64 points 10 months ago

My family is extremely left wing and religious right wing. So...

"Not enough Israeli civilians are dying." "Palestinians shouldn't exist." "Hamas isn't evil." "Trump won the election." "Jewish culture is a Western invention." etc

Fun times. Probably my last Thanksgiving with biological family.

[-] CommanderM2192@lemmy.world 42 points 10 months ago

If they believe, then they become "mind controlled", "double agents", "traitors", etc to other flat earthers.

[-] CommanderM2192@lemmy.world 17 points 10 months ago

Did you know that 112% of uncited statistics are bullshit?

[-] CommanderM2192@lemmy.world 22 points 10 months ago

Great! Every democratic and peaceful nation has the right to self-defense and self-determination. Just like Tibet. Or Hong Kong. Or the Uighurs. Or one of any other dozens of peoples subjugated by communist China. Fuck off tankie.

Sidenote for Sane People: Is it just me, or do a ton of lemmy.ml accounts seem to be tankies?

submitted 11 months ago* (last edited 11 months ago) by CommanderM2192@lemmy.world to c/196@lemmy.blahaj.zone

First off, I don't base my views on "what Americans are like" with what people post online. Just about everyone I know personally has just gone off the deep end it seems.

People I've known for decades who were "right of center" have now drifted to the far right. Where they used to support separation of church and state, small government, etc. they now want the government to tax the poor, establish a Christian ethnostate, and are openly talking about "the coming revolution". Meanwhile, most everyone I've known who is leftist wants the government to disarm them, claims to be pro-LGBT but blindly supports any Muslim country and blindly hates Israel, and thinks Joe Biden is the "greatest president EVAR".

Am I just in a weird bubble where 95% of the people in my life are politically and philosophically dipshits? Does anyone else experience this with people they actually know? I feel like I'm going crazy when I can be talking with a "leftist" about trans rights in Texas and then the very next conversation is about how wholesome they think the average Palestinian is in Gaza. Is there anyone else who's at least left of center and recognizes that religious zealots in the Middle East want to kill you and shouldn't be supported and religious zealots in YOUR OWN FUCKING COUNTRY want to kill you and you shouldn't disarm yourself?

Just what the fuck is going on in this country? There's so much disinformation and paid trolls that I don't base these views off what's online. I just run into the exact same lunacy with nearly everyone I've known my whole life.

[-] CommanderM2192@lemmy.world 20 points 11 months ago

Yep... we're all headed for The Troubles at best. It's pretty similar to 1920s Germany. The leftwing and "centrists" aren't doing even 5% of what they need to be doing.

[-] CommanderM2192@lemmy.world 61 points 11 months ago

You know what's really fucking trashy? Forcing a senile woman to sit in Congress when she has no idea what's going on.

[-] CommanderM2192@lemmy.world 19 points 1 year ago

You might have a point there. If it weren't for the record profits. There will never be a shortage of overhyped, cash grab startups, companies, and projects. "We're the AI of X!"

But companies like Netflix, Google, etc would not be where they are today if there wasn't some real value they provided. They may not have the wisest leadership and so aren't making a profit, but that's the point. None of the issues at Netflix are due to engineers. None of the issues at Google are due to engineers. So why then is there a globally concerted effort to drive down the labor cost of engineering? If this were a true market correction in a free market, why isn't pointless middle management and failed leadership being replaced or cut?

As a software engineer with more than a decade of experience, I have been at companies where I only got 2-3 commits approved in a month. But that was due to the refusal of middle management to do anything except coast. The vast majority of the problem is "leadership", not engineering.

Ask yourself this. Why are you so upset about this that you go on a rant that's targeted at the engineer "making 100k while committing code like twice a day"? With where inflation is at, that's actually a really low salary if they're able to make two good commits a day. If I could hire someone who makes two good commits in a day that's closer to being worth $150K, at the very least.

• A software engineer who builds companies
[-] CommanderM2192@lemmy.world 31 points 1 year ago

What if, now just hear me out, what if we could own our own cars and drive them in a dedicated underground lane to avoid traffic? One lane dedicated lane, to avoid traffic. No commie buses, just freedom cars.

rail rule (lemmy.world)
[-] CommanderM2192@lemmy.world 30 points 1 year ago

"But I won't see the benefit in MY lifetime!"

Now, where have we heard that kind of reasoning and logic before? What current crisis has been caused by that way of thinking?

[-] CommanderM2192@lemmy.world 28 points 1 year ago

And there are solid counter-arguments to those. Would we have long lead times if nuclear power had been developed to the point where it was easier to build and we had more workers already trained in building them?

The more experienced construction workers you have, the more experienced scientists and engineers making necessary components, the cheaper it gets. Look at how expensive computers used to be compared to today. If we hadn't of had Luddites getting in the way of nuclear power for half a century then we wouldn't have this issue.

All the more reason to move forward with nuclear power and continue improving it before it really is too late.

"Long lead times" is utter, fucking bullshit. I'm sick and tired of "pro-environment" useful idiots shilling against nuclear power. What's your alternative? Renewables that can't scale to meet demand due to the laws of physics, geography, and engineering limitations? More coal and oil plants? Huge battery farms for storing electricity from renewables; the kind of batteries that devastate the environment with mining and destroy third world communities? Fusion power plants in two centuries? Get real and stop being a moron.

Neurodivergent Rule (lemmy.world)
[-] CommanderM2192@lemmy.world 50 points 1 year ago

Good thing myself and most others here have never called people "terrorist", "Nazi", or "fascist" just because I disagree with them. Only do that when they're Nazis or fascists. Like the current governor of Florida who has used his authority to do the following anti-democracy actions:

• Force private owned cruise ships to not require vaccination of their passengers
  • Force local communities to abandon mask mandates they voted on and approved of
  • Eviscerate one of the greatest boons to the Florida economy against the will of the local community
  • Establish a personal militia with military hardware and resources

Just the kind of stuff a "Nazi", "fascist", or even "terrorist" does.

If you're just a troll, then good for you. I'm sure you make everyone who matters to you love you more. Otherwise, educate yourself or fuck off.

[-] CommanderM2192@lemmy.world 44 points 1 year ago

Because engineers can say "no". I've done that and lost my job over it. No regrets.

view more: next ›

CommanderM2192

joined 1 year ago