submitted 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago) by WtfEvenIsExistence@lemmy.ca to c/memes@lemmy.ml

Discontinuation Syndrome goes brrrrr... [Error, brain.exe has crashed because antidepressant.dll is not found]

top 50 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] SharkEatingBreakfast@sh.itjust.works 37 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

My parents used to be against me taking my meds. Been on them for nearly 9 years now.

I was forced to stop taking them for months due to a shortage last year.

My mother came over one day to find my house absolutely trashed, my mail piled up, my water shut off, I had gained 20 lbs, and all sorts of other "fun" things I was unable to address thanks to my condition.

She no longer encourages me to stop taking my meds.

Meds can be good. They may not be right for everyone, but take them if they help (while working with a qualified medical professional).

load more comments (5 replies)
[-] Mbourgon@lemmy.world 13 points 1 year ago

Don’t think of it like a weakness or anything like that - it’s brain chemistry (not always, but for most of what we’re talking here, it is). Presently, the only way to change the chemicals in your brain is through medication

Think of it like diabetes. Would you feel that way if you were taking insulin?

Or think of it like chemo. Chemo sucks, cancer is a “game over”

[-] BilboBargains@lemmy.world 6 points 1 year ago

The medicine works and very often we don't know why but who cares if it's helping us? It could be a placebo for all I know. I'm just glad someone goes to the trouble of making this stuff.

[-] lka1988@sh.itjust.works 5 points 1 year ago

There are people who think insulin dependency is a choice.

[-] Llewellyn@lemm.ee 2 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

In case of diabetes from obesity - it is a choice. Irreversible one.

Edit: not always irreversible.

[-] LufyCZ@lemmy.world 2 points 1 year ago

Thought it actually is reversible, at least in some cases?

[-] Llewellyn@lemm.ee 2 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

~~Are you talking about KRISP or another gene editing technique?~~
That was stupid from my side.

[-] LufyCZ@lemmy.world 2 points 1 year ago

Nah, just thought that obesity-induced diabetes is (at least partially / in some cases) reversible by losing weight

[-] Llewellyn@lemm.ee 2 points 1 year ago

You're right

load more comments (1 replies)
[-] seitanic@lemmy.sdf.org 10 points 1 year ago

Ugh. I hate being dependent on medications, because they cost money and I have to remember to take them, but especially because I can't drink any alcohol while I'm on them. But without them, my brain goes all flibbity-floobity.

[-] Carion@lemmy.antemeridiem.xyz 10 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

-I'm fine bro I'm cured

Proceed to discontinue the medication

-Oh no I'm actually dying

-End of meme-

Commentary.exe initializing...

Who would have guessed?

Jokes apart, I blame society for anxiety, being so fast paced and all.

-End of Commentary-

#poweroff

[-] TehBamski@lemmy.world 10 points 1 year ago

Your title 'quote' is very much like saying to someone, "Just stop obtaining the right vitamins, minerals, and amounts, for your body and brain to function at a better health level. Just be happy with what you started with when you were born."

Fucking nonsense.

[-] WtfEvenIsExistence@lemmy.ca 8 points 1 year ago

You do understand what sarcasm is... right?

The quote is mocking those who unironically say it.

[-] Aurenkin@sh.itjust.works 6 points 1 year ago

Yes also I'm not sure if you realised but the capitalisation seems to be a bit wrong

[-] WtfEvenIsExistence@lemmy.ca 8 points 1 year ago

That's random capitalization which is used to indicate sarcasm when /s tag is not suitable.

For posts like these, you kinda have to actually indicate sarcasm otherwise people will misinterpret it as unironic, since some people do actually say it unironically.

[-] Aurenkin@sh.itjust.works 7 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

Yes I know, my comment probably could have done with one of those /s tags

[-] WtfEvenIsExistence@lemmy.ca 6 points 1 year ago

Lol, sarcasm-ception. See this is why we need sarcasm indicators, since it's hard to detect sarcasm. Especially when my brain is still kinda fucked up by withdrawl from antidepressants.

[-] Aurenkin@sh.itjust.works 7 points 1 year ago

On a serious note, sorry you're going through that. Doesn't sound fun. Hope you get the medicine you need and manage ok in the meantime.

[-] regalia@literature.cafe 10 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

I take medication and still panik, help pls

Seriously though, I didn't take any meds the first 25 years of my life. After starting them, it literally changed my life and I wish I had started so much sooner. I would've had such a better life.

[-] NaoPb@beehaw.org 7 points 1 year ago

There's nothing wrong with relying on medication. I just wanted to state that.

Don't ever randomly stop taking medication. Always consult a doctor first.

Even with medication I am not in a good place right now. But I am glad I don't have the thoughts of hurting myself thanks to the meds.

[-] vsis@feddit.cl 5 points 1 year ago

Bro, just let's smoke a joint. It's natural, you know. Your pills are full of chemicals eww. /s

pd: "full of chemicals" also applies to food. Since natural food is made of antimatter, aparently.

[-] NightAuthor@beehaw.org 5 points 1 year ago

I stopped taking my meds at one point, won’t make that mistake again. At least not without some other major life changes, but probably not even then.

I'm hopeful for the psilocybin therapy bringing fruits in the coming years.

[-] sagrotan@lemmy.world 3 points 1 year ago

"I stopped taking the medication because they kill all creativity I had and the shitty health system refuses to give me a different one" - one story I've heard so far. I'm not saying it's bad, don't get me wrong, I'm saying every patient is different and they shouldn't be pressed in drawers made by the pharmaceutical industry. Take your meds, if you can.

[-] fadingembers@lemmy.blahaj.zone 3 points 1 year ago

I'm having to come to terms that I can't function without them. I tried to live off for four years off and it went okay for a short time but it just kept getting worse and worse despite doing everything in my power to not need them whether it was therapy, exercise, eating healthy or anything else

[-] MonkderZweite@feddit.ch 2 points 1 year ago

So don't stop taking the medicaments?

[-] lorez@lemm.ee 7 points 1 year ago

You usually stop cos of side effects. I speak from experience. Been fighting anxiety and depression since 1996.

[-] Asafum@feddit.nl 2 points 1 year ago

Same.

Panic attack, take meds, become zombie, stop meds, panic attack.

CBD has been a godsend though. It completely stopped my panic attacks for almost 2 years until just this last weekend. Not sure what triggered it this time.

[-] lorez@lemm.ee 2 points 1 year ago

I have generalized anxiety, no triggers, so I go under SSRIs, anorgasmia, stop. Rinse and repeat.

[-] PsychedSy@sh.itjust.works 1 points 1 year ago

I stop because I start feeling better and hope I can make it. Or I take a day off for the brain zaps.

load more comments
view more: next ›
this post was submitted on 27 Aug 2023
443 points (93.9% liked)

Memes

45274 readers
3871 users here now

Rules:

1. Be civil and nice.
  2. Try not to excessively repost, as a rule of thumb, wait at least 2 months to do it if you have to.

founded 5 years ago
MODERATORS