top 50 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] Stoatmilk@hexbear.net 62 points 3 months ago

Imagine walking into a gay bar and it's just Keir Starmer dancing alone to Sweet Caroline

[-] autismdragon@hexbear.net 43 points 3 months ago

How do you even dance to Sweet Caroline lmao? Its a belting song not a dancing song.

[-] Erika3sis@hexbear.net 26 points 3 months ago

My mom went to a Sting concert a number of years ago, and I remember she told me about how she kinda laughed when the basically all-elderly audience all started dancing when the man went "♫ Who-oh, I'm an alien, I'm a legal alien, I'm an Englishman in New York... ♫"

[-] comrade_pibb@hexbear.net 15 points 3 months ago

BAH BAH BAHHH

[-] Findom_DeLuise@hexbear.net 6 points 3 months ago

When I was in middle school, our gym class had a "ballroom dance" unit. The teacher was obsessed with Neil Diamond, and this was one of the songs. Another was "Beautiful Noise."

I am still traumatized.

[-] InevitableSwing@hexbear.net 48 points 3 months ago* (last edited 3 months ago)

How do you get boomers to support Palestine?

Get them to sing "Free Palestine" to "Sweet Caroline".

[-] combat_brandonism@hexbear.net 26 points 3 months ago* (last edited 3 months ago)

that actually slaps

Free Paaaalestinee
BAH BAH BAHHHHH
FROM THE RIVER, TO THE SEAAAAAA (THE SEA! THE SEA! THE SEA!)

[-] CthulhusIntern@hexbear.net 14 points 3 months ago

Palestinian support suddenly massively increases among Boston Red Sox fans.

[-] Llituro@hexbear.net 42 points 3 months ago

doubt this man has never been around a non-cishet person that didn't immediately grimace the second he turned away, i guarantee it. that answer was so straight i could build a level house with it.

[-] regul@hexbear.net 38 points 3 months ago

"Sweet Caroline" is legit the most straight people song I can think of. Like, there are other songs (like Eminem's entire oeuvre) that may be more appreciated by specific sub-demographics, but in terms of wide-ranging straight (white) appeal, it's got to be hard to beat Sweet Caroline.

[-] Llituro@hexbear.net 23 points 3 months ago

there are like three songs that every single person in a straight, white club of any variety will know the words to: "All the Small Things," "Mr Brightside," and "Sweet Caroline." ok there are more than that, but watching a lot of hammered undergrads screaming along to all three in a row at the end of a night was formative.

[-] PKMKII@hexbear.net 17 points 3 months ago

Whelp I had never listened to Mr Brightside until reading your comment so I can’t be that straight and white.

[-] HiImThomasPynchon@hexbear.net 15 points 3 months ago

You are seriously downplaying how much Mr.Brightside could make a room of white non-cishet millenials come unglued

[-] Llituro@hexbear.net 5 points 3 months ago

I genuinely am, and you can only try to stop me (i'm white non-cishet people with a softspot for mr brightside, plz don't come at me)

[-] TheDoctor@hexbear.net 11 points 3 months ago

Mr. Brightside kills at silent disco

[-] Aradina@lemmy.ml 10 points 3 months ago

Hey two of those are known by gay white people too

[-] Erika3sis@hexbear.net 17 points 3 months ago* (last edited 3 months ago)

Honestly I don't think I've ever heard the original version of "Sweet Caroline" in full, I swear I have only ever heard other people referencing it

Edit: honestly pretty good, I liked it well enough

[-] PKMKII@hexbear.net 18 points 3 months ago

I think every baseball stadium is contractually obligated to play it once per game.

[-] HiImThomasPynchon@hexbear.net 9 points 3 months ago

It's what they do at the 7th Inning Stretch at Fenway Park in Boston

[-] CthulhusIntern@hexbear.net 6 points 3 months ago

It's good as a chanting, sing along song, but not as a dancing song.

[-] take_five_seconds@hexbear.net 27 points 3 months ago* (last edited 3 months ago)

how hard is it to say something like a cosmo and its raining men? god politicians are stupid

[-] Findom_DeLuise@hexbear.net 11 points 3 months ago* (last edited 3 months ago)

Surprised he didn't say Irish car bomb and "HOT TO GO!"

...but I guess that's more how you get thrown out of a lesbian bar in Belfast

[-] Egon@hexbear.net 26 points 3 months ago* (last edited 3 months ago)

Politician who is trying to appeal to "the gays": Daiquiry and "Toxic" by Britney.

Real answer: Negroni (it tastes bad which makes me sip it) and "Lay All Your Love On Me" by ABBA (it's fun to sing along to).

Realest answer: Beer (it's usually cheapest by the sip) and Sweet Caroline (it's fun to sing along to)

[-] WeedReference420@hexbear.net 22 points 3 months ago

Hard to say what's more embarrassing between this and when he went on a BBC radio show where you choose what songs you'd take to a desert island and pretended he'd pick Stormzy.

RE: the original question I'd get a mojito and do the whole dance from the end scene of Beau Travail comfy-cool

[-] OrionsMask@hexbear.net 9 points 3 months ago* (last edited 3 months ago)

pretended he'd pick Stormzy.

You cannot fathom the SHOCKWAVES of cringe that just went through me. This CANNOT be real.

[-] WeedReference420@hexbear.net 7 points 3 months ago
[-] LaGG_3@hexbear.net 4 points 3 months ago

I like how it's the most basic b choices a 70 year old would make.

[-] BlueMagaChud@hexbear.net 22 points 3 months ago* (last edited 3 months ago)

lol, that not a gay bar Keith, that's a fucking baseball game

[-] Erika3sis@hexbear.net 18 points 3 months ago

I keep reading "Queer Harmer" as "Queer Hammer" and that makes me think of Peter Gabriel's "Sledgehammer"

[-] Outdoor_Catgirl@hexbear.net 9 points 3 months ago

Imagining black hammer but for queer people now

[-] regul@hexbear.net 6 points 3 months ago

straight paypig slaves living in the basement of a trap house in Provincetown

[-] PortugueseDragon@hexbear.net 15 points 3 months ago* (last edited 3 months ago)
[-] ShimmeringKoi@hexbear.net 14 points 3 months ago

Keir Starmer has a cloth-wrapped Portrait of Milo Edwards in his attic

[-] FALGSConaut@hexbear.net 14 points 3 months ago

Here's the whitest, straightest performance of Sweet Caroline, sung by former Canadian pm Steven Harper and his band the Van Cats. Something to note is that the name of his band is a French pun based on the prime minister's residence, 24 Sussex drive, and 24 in French sounds kinda like Van Cat

[-] pooberbee@lemmy.ml 10 points 3 months ago

Hot sake poured by a cute twink in a kimono and idk some grindcore or some bossa nova. I've never been to a gay bar, but I think I'd go to that one.

[-] JamesConeZone@hexbear.net 10 points 3 months ago

Long Island Iced Tea and Higher by Creed

[-] JamesConeZone@hexbear.net 16 points 3 months ago

sorry sorry i'm trying to delete it

[-] kristina@hexbear.net 8 points 3 months ago

dancing queen, but i would only dance with a drag queen.

[-] 2812481591@hexbear.net 8 points 3 months ago

I think I know enough about gays to say "Ranch water and Shut up kiss me", would this trick them into voting for me?

[-] M68040@hexbear.net 7 points 3 months ago* (last edited 3 months ago)

Where's that one Sweet Caroline remix from forever ago with the drop that sounded like a bass boosted version of the "You fucked up" noise from some game show? Wait a second here it is

Also I'd be double fisting Malört and blasting "Cortar Todo" by Zu

[-] Yor@hexbear.net 6 points 3 months ago

I have no idea what song that is, but that doesn't sound like any gay dance staple I've heard lol

[-] TeddyKila@hexbear.net 5 points 3 months ago

Cider, "Warrior's Dance" by The Prodigy

[-] RION@hexbear.net 5 points 3 months ago

is it normal to go to gay bars frequently when you're straight? outside the reasonable scenario of going to one with a gay friend it seems kinda strange

[-] SpiderFarmer@hexbear.net 5 points 3 months ago

Maybe if you just like going to bars, the likelihood increases? Or it's a gay bar with a strong kink scene, in which case some nights bring everyone in.

[-] electric_nan@lemmy.ml 4 points 3 months ago

When I was growing up, the only bar in town open after 2am was a gay club.

[-] regul@hexbear.net 2 points 3 months ago

Not that common, no.

Maybe if you live in/near a gayborhood and it's your local. Depends on the vibe.

[-] TraschcanOfIdeology@hexbear.net 3 points 3 months ago

Negroni sbagliato and the winner takes it all

this post was submitted on 14 Jun 2024
81 points (100.0% liked)

the_dunk_tank

15896 readers
527 users here now

It's the dunk tank.

This is where you come to post big-brained hot takes by chuds, libs, or even fellow leftists, and tear them to itty-bitty pieces with precision dunkstrikes.

Rule 1: All posts must include links to the subject matter, and no identifying information should be redacted.

Rule 2: If your source is a reactionary website, please use archive.is instead of linking directly.

Rule 3: No sectarianism.

Rule 4: TERF/SWERFs Not Welcome

Rule 5: No ableism of any kind (that includes stuff like libt*rd)

Rule 6: Do not post fellow hexbears.

Rule 7: Do not individually target other instances' admins or moderators.

Rule 8: The subject of a post cannot be low hanging fruit, that is comments/posts made by a private person that have low amount of upvotes/likes/views. Comments/Posts made on other instances that are accessible from hexbear are an exception to this. Posts that do not meet this requirement can be posted to !shitreactionariessay@lemmygrad.ml

Rule 9: if you post ironic rage bait im going to make a personal visit to your house to make sure you never make this mistake again

founded 4 years ago
MODERATORS