There are the only mentions of Gaza:

Voters think Biden is too liberal. The Biden administration has worried about shoring up its left flank, particularly since the war in Gaza. But the Times-Siena poll found that while Biden is losing only 2 percent of his “very liberal” voters from 2020 to Trump, he is losing 16 percent of his supporters who described themselves as moderate and conservative.

. . .

In the Times-Siena poll, 21 percent of voters say the economy will drive their vote, while 7 percent say inflation is their top issue. By contrast, immigration is the top issue for 12 percent of voters, abortion is the top issue for 11 percent, the war between Israelis and Palestinians is the top issue for 2 percent and crime is the top issue for fewer than 1 percent.

all 43 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] Wertheimer@hexbear.net 59 points 4 months ago

Biden is losing only 2 percent of his “very liberal” voters from 2020 to Trump

Because he's losing his "very liberal" voters to leftism, you nerd.

[-] Chronicon@hexbear.net 52 points 4 months ago* (last edited 4 months ago)

Admittedly, when I talk to less politically minded people about it there are basically three camps of anti-biden libs (or at least hesistant), and until recently mainly just the first two.

• People who see that the world/their lives aren't getting better and don't like that. Tends to be poorer, less media-watching. They also tend to note how obviously senile he is.
  • People who (presumably based on half remembered CNN talking points and newspaper headlines), think he's going too far left. (tends to be more middle class and up)
  • People who can't stomach voting for him because of Palestine, more recently, or previously other things like his racist actions on crime/busing, or SA allegations, or what have you.

I don't think Palestine is the top top issue for likely voters, but it should definitely be in a list of the top 7 things killing biden's chances rn. With young people it might be up there as #1 or #2 but with the demos that voot the hardest less so. The narrative that he's going too far to the left is manufactured whole cloth by the media, but its been pretty successful, it's taken root for anyone who pays attention to MSM, though it hasn't gotten to the level of being accepted as baseline fact yet, more of just a vibe.

[-] Wertheimer@hexbear.net 41 points 4 months ago

I would wager that a significantly lower percentage of votes will come from first-time voters this year. That's going to be more Palestine than "our lives aren't getting better," partially because young voters' lives have never gotten better. The financial crisis began when they were 1-5 years old.

[-] ReadFanon@hexbear.net 20 points 4 months ago* (last edited 4 months ago)

It's wild that I've seen a multiple once-in-a-lifetime financial crises in the US and now it's all kinda blurring into one rolling economic crisis that just waxes and wanes depending on different factors.

[-] SteamedHamberder@hexbear.net 47 points 4 months ago

Biden is losing because Biden is a loser.

[-] emizeko@hexbear.net 43 points 4 months ago

this is the kind of self-debasement it takes to ride a national media meal ticket.

when Ezra Klein is mentioned I always think of the obsequious interview he did with Obama in 2017. nobody is in the tank harder than this revolting little worm.

[-] duderium@hexbear.net 36 points 4 months ago

He supported the Iraq War, which should always be mentioned when discussing his ideas, which are themselves reheated MSNBC nonsense.

[-] Wertheimer@hexbear.net 31 points 4 months ago

His shtick when he first got started was as the good boy who cared about policy and not just the horse race. He was auditioning to be the guy who'd relay excuses like "but the parliamentarian" or to claim that a new jerkoff regulatory tweak was actually sweeping change, and he's been duly rewarded ever since.

[-] FungiDebord@hexbear.net 19 points 4 months ago* (last edited 4 months ago)

Still very funny that he staked out the first (only?) "Biden can and should be replaced" take from a high profile/mainstream lib pundit, only for Biden, days later, to hold court at the State of the Union, and whip everyone in line.

[-] Wertheimer@hexbear.net 15 points 4 months ago

That speech was just too damned zesty, apparently.

[-] tactical_trans_karen@hexbear.net 38 points 4 months ago

Lets add one more - Kamala isn't funny or cool and is terrible at politics, and a vote for Biden is a vote for Harris.

[-] BeamBrain@hexbear.net 32 points 4 months ago

"It was a debate!" maniacal laughter

[-] corgiwithalaptop@hexbear.net 17 points 4 months ago

But I thought a vote for Harris isn't a vote for Biden, and is therefore a vote for Trump?

[-] footfaults@hexbear.net 33 points 4 months ago* (last edited 4 months ago)

Most people vote with their pocketbook, and even on the terrain that Biden chose to fight on he fucking ate shit. He didn't do anything to fight inflation or price gouging, he just sat there and let it happen and then all his surrogates bitch and moan how you can't blame the president when the economy is bad but fall all over themselves to claim credit when the economy is perceived to be doing well.

The Gaza issue is just another case study in Biden's governing style.. completely out of touch and spending all their time scolding their voters about how even though he didn't do anything he still deserves your vote, even though he thinks you're a fucking disgusting little pig and how dare you question him or demand anything of him, don't you see that Trump would be worse?

[-] GrouchyGrouse@hexbear.net 32 points 4 months ago

"If we appeal to moderates and conservatives we have an excuse not to change anything, jack"

[-] SacredExcrement@hexbear.net 11 points 4 months ago

Liberals are gonna look at themselves in the mirror and say "We have to be prepared to get more racist"

[-] GrouchyGrouse@hexbear.net 9 points 4 months ago

Liberals sitting in the Dr Strangelove war room debating how many and which minority groups they can afford to lose in order to "win."

[-] goferking0@lemmy.sdf.org 8 points 4 months ago

yes they keep moving right but if you point that out you're just a Russian bot/trump supporter

[-] GrouchyGrouse@hexbear.net 4 points 4 months ago

Asking for a habitable biosphere and to stop a genocide makes you a Russky robot didn't you know that?

[-] goferking0@lemmy.sdf.org 4 points 4 months ago

Pointing out their own shitty logic/definition also does to some

[-] GrouchyGrouse@hexbear.net 4 points 4 months ago

Ain't that the truth. There's like an ascending ladder of pejoratives if you call out the dems. Useful idiot ->Trump supporter -> Russian bot -> Russian agent -> whatever the next brain worm is called. Probably about China.

[-] goferking0@lemmy.sdf.org 3 points 4 months ago

Had one do exactly that when pointing out their tankie definition applied to their own comments. Although ended with them sending something in Russian.

[-] AntiOutsideAktion@hexbear.net 29 points 4 months ago

was hoping for a Cracked style ordinal list kitty-birthday-sad

[-] PKMKII@hexbear.net 23 points 4 months ago

As an aside, I don’t like those “top issue” polls because often what a voter’s number two or three concern speaks to the nature of their first concern, and vice versa. A voter having immigration as their top issue with the economy as second, means something much different than immigration as top issue with crime second.

[-] DyingOfDeBordom@hexbear.net 20 points 4 months ago

help me do the math here, what's 2 percent of 100000 versus 16 percent of 10

[-] Snackuleata@hexbear.net 18 points 4 months ago

Confession time: this guy bodying Sam Harris on his show is what pulled me out of the Intellectual Dark Web and got me moving toward the left. How embarrassing.

[-] EstraDoll@hexbear.net 20 points 4 months ago

Care-Comrade we all start somewhere, comrade

[-] footfaults@hexbear.net 18 points 4 months ago* (last edited 4 months ago)

Everyone starts somewhere. I watched Keith Olbermann 20 years ago chomsky-yes-honey

[-] Chump@hexbear.net 6 points 4 months ago

Keith "Damnyouroldman"

(Fuck I was watching him like 6 years ago oof)

[-] SteamedHamberder@hexbear.net 6 points 4 months ago

Matt Taibi dunking on “Hot Flat and Crowded”

[-] footfaults@hexbear.net 6 points 4 months ago

I loved reading Griftopia and his foreward to a reprint of Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail.

Sometimes someone you admire, uhhhh, goes in a different direction you can't follow them down

[-] goferking0@lemmy.sdf.org 3 points 4 months ago

I'd still rather have him still on that any of the other msnbc presentors

[-] micnd90@hexbear.net 12 points 4 months ago* (last edited 4 months ago)

Am I so out of touch?

joever

No, it's the children, poors, minorities, students, media, polls, Palestinians, LGBTQ+ people and environmentalists who are wrong

biden-point

[-] Speaker@hexbear.net 9 points 4 months ago

Palestine the most important issue for 2% of voters, but isn't this the most important election of our lives? Shouldn't you be fighting for every god damn point you can find so it's not so embarrassingly close as last time? 11% for abortion who are just having to eat "I'm sure we'll do something about it if I win again, Jack" with a grin? Unserious people.

[-] YOuLibsWoulD@hexbear.net 7 points 4 months ago

How do you do that hacker shit that lets you deal with the paywall?

[-] BJyXJe4LhZetOzA0@hexbear.net 9 points 4 months ago* (last edited 4 months ago)
[-] Blottergrass@hexbear.net 2 points 4 months ago

You can also just turn javascript off. Most paywalls are made by thinking people so this doesn't work, but it still works for NYT's paywall (which they spent $10 million on).

[-] BJyXJe4LhZetOzA0@hexbear.net 1 points 4 months ago

lol yeah true

this post was submitted on 19 May 2024
92 points (100.0% liked)

the_dunk_tank

15893 readers
463 users here now

It's the dunk tank.

This is where you come to post big-brained hot takes by chuds, libs, or even fellow leftists, and tear them to itty-bitty pieces with precision dunkstrikes.

Rule 1: All posts must include links to the subject matter, and no identifying information should be redacted.

Rule 2: If your source is a reactionary website, please use archive.is instead of linking directly.

Rule 3: No sectarianism.

Rule 4: TERF/SWERFs Not Welcome

Rule 5: No ableism of any kind (that includes stuff like libt*rd)

Rule 6: Do not post fellow hexbears.

Rule 7: Do not individually target other instances' admins or moderators.

Rule 8: The subject of a post cannot be low hanging fruit, that is comments/posts made by a private person that have low amount of upvotes/likes/views. Comments/Posts made on other instances that are accessible from hexbear are an exception to this. Posts that do not meet this requirement can be posted to !shitreactionariessay@lemmygrad.ml

Rule 9: if you post ironic rage bait im going to make a personal visit to your house to make sure you never make this mistake again

founded 4 years ago
MODERATORS