submitted 5 months ago* (last edited 5 months ago) by beef_curds@hexbear.net to c/news@hexbear.net
all 47 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] citrussy_capybara@hexbear.net 98 points 5 months ago

“My cybertruck wouldn’t stop as I mowed through pedestrians until I wrapped around a telephone pole. The doctors say I may never walk again. Still love the truck, though.”

[-] Xx_Aru_xX@hexbear.net 44 points 5 months ago

my-hero : and the next time you talk smack, it'll be a gas station not a telephone poll

[-] PKMKII@hexbear.net 83 points 5 months ago

Holy shit, the problem occurred because of

“An unapproved change introduced lubricant (soap) to aid in the component assembly of the pad onto the accelerator pedal. Residual lubricant reduced the retention of the pad to the pedal,” the NHTSA wrote in the recall document.

They got Dawn all over the pad. Extremely unserious car company.

[-] bleepbloopbop@hexbear.net 50 points 5 months ago* (last edited 5 months ago)

literally exactly what boeing was doing too lol (though not the worst of it)

[-] FunkyStuff@hexbear.net 45 points 5 months ago

Boeing type manufacturing process.

[-] CarbonScored@hexbear.net 9 points 5 months ago

They lubricated the pedals? Did they oil the brakes too?

[-] D61@hexbear.net 71 points 5 months ago

Was listening to some YT clips from The Majority Report talking about how shitty these are.

I was completely unaware that washing the vehicle with water could 1) void the warranty and 2) brick the vehicle.

I was completely unaware and in awe of the silliness of also learning that tinting the glass can also void warranties for certain parts of the cybertruck.

[-] Xx_Aru_xX@hexbear.net 44 points 5 months ago

I was completely unaware that washing the vehicle with water could 1) void the warranty and 2) brick the vehicle.

problem is that this was a known issue with the dolorean, how do they make this mistake again?

[-] Dessa@hexbear.net 24 points 5 months ago

At least the Delorean was cool. Might be worth pulling that out once or twice a year if you're a car person.

[-] 7bicycles@hexbear.net 25 points 5 months ago

The DeLorean was a total failure that nobody wanted with panel gaps out the ass and quality assurance issues, until the CEO got arrested. So...you know, here's hoping the cybertruck becomes cool.

[-] Dessa@hexbear.net 11 points 5 months ago

The Cybertruck is ugly though. Im nit saying the Delorean is a good car made by good people. Just that it looks neat. If you're the type of person to keep an extra car just for show and baby it, there's a point to the Delorean. The Tesla truck is only good as a museum of curiosity discussion piece that will be k iwn only for how rare it is to find a well kept one

[-] the_post_of_tom_joad@hexbear.net 18 points 5 months ago* (last edited 5 months ago)

Im betting the only thing musk knows about the delorean is what he learned watching Back to the Future

Edit: i got interested in the delorean after commenting and saw it was also stainless steel, and also had a recall involving sticking accelerators. Heh.

[-] crazyminner@lemmy.ml 16 points 5 months ago

Why would cold water brick the truck?

[-] Xx_Aru_xX@hexbear.net 38 points 5 months ago

You notice how the truck is silver? that's because it's made of stainless steel and it doesn't have a protective coat or paint on it, something that is expected to be on a car

[-] SSJ2Marx@hexbear.net 6 points 5 months ago* (last edited 5 months ago)

soviet-hmm Perhaps we could paint the car with silver metallic paint, and make the body from standard automotive materials?

agony-yehaw No way, it's gotta be stainless steel for reasons. Now pass me my ketamine, it's therapeutic I swear!

[-] Philosoraptor@hexbear.net 28 points 5 months ago

Not cold water specifically--just water. The waterproofing on the electronics is uneven (especially on earlier models). It has a "car wash mode" (lol) that is supposed to lock all that down, but some Teslas have been bricked by just driving in the rain. Also, the water seems to rust the stainless steel body. As I've said before, it seems like it was engineered for California weather and they never considered that people might drive it in other climates.

[-] SSJ2Marx@hexbear.net 6 points 5 months ago

especially on earlier models

They've only shipped 3800! They're all "earlier models"!

[-] Philosoraptor@hexbear.net 3 points 5 months ago

Fantastic point.

[-] fox@hexbear.net 25 points 5 months ago

It's not water proof, so rain has a chance of frying some of the electronics.

[-] joaomarrom@hexbear.net 23 points 5 months ago

let's be fair with Tesla, being impossible to drive in the rain has always been a problem for cars in general, as we all know

[-] Dessa@hexbear.net 15 points 5 months ago

Gonna guess Elon lives in LA

[-] CarbonScored@hexbear.net 65 points 5 months ago

A pedal that falls apart really, just.. feels like failing at production step 1 of making a car.

[-] Lucien@hexbear.net 52 points 5 months ago

They also failed at production step 0: make the car not look like a five-year-old's drawing

[-] combat_brandonism@hexbear.net 32 points 5 months ago

not just falls apart, wedges and sticks the throttle all the way open

[-] pumpchilienthusiast@hexbear.net 65 points 5 months ago

i expected this be an enormous shitshow ever since it was announced but I have to admit elon really exceeded my expectations

[-] AnarchoAnarchist@hexbear.net 17 points 5 months ago

I expected like, early model 3 bad, not "make the 737Max look like a Toyota Hilux" bad.

[-] btbt@hexbear.net 47 points 5 months ago* (last edited 5 months ago)

Don’t worry everyone, I’ve seen Tesla’s next innovative and revolutionary car model and I can safely say that the company will be back on its feet very soon

[-] KimJongFun@hexbear.net 25 points 5 months ago
[-] umbrella@lemmy.ml 3 points 5 months ago

id get the homer anyday over a tesla

[-] AOCapitulator@hexbear.net 44 points 5 months ago

But how will me and my family die in a firey and preventable crash without my expensive suicide cart?

[-] jackmarxist@hexbear.net 21 points 5 months ago

Lock yourself in the car and drown?

[-] TheDoctor@hexbear.net 22 points 5 months ago

Yes but the Tesla automates that process

[-] FunkyStuff@hexbear.net 42 points 5 months ago

Gonna be an uphill battle to fix, uh, everything else

[-] anarchrist@lemmy.dbzer0.com 33 points 5 months ago

Take it out of the bonus he wants to give himself, maybe?

[-] ElChapoDeChapo@hexbear.net 25 points 5 months ago

God I hope this tanks his stock and puts his dumb ass out of business

[-] AutomatedPossum@hexbear.net 31 points 5 months ago* (last edited 5 months ago)

He's already announced that Tesla will fire 10% of its workers and will chop down a forest to needlessly expand the factory near Berlin that keeps polluting the local water supply, so the stonks should be fine.

[-] ReadFanon@hexbear.net 3 points 5 months ago* (last edited 5 months ago)

If there's one thing that says "Our company is entering a growth phase" it's when you are laying off a large proportion of your staff.

Btw Tesla's statement about it being 10% is debated because reports on the ground are that the actual numbers are somewhere between ~10-20% and Tesla is "accidentally" screwing people over on their severance packages - this could be greed, this could be incompetence (it's Elon Musk after all), but it could also be a cynical manoeuvre to try and recoup costs by any means necessary.

I don't think this is moment that the everything collapses with the whole operation but it definitely feels like it's a sign of terminal decline - I'm skeptical about Elon Musk having any other aces up his sleeve and I don't see things improving on any front:

• The Boring Company is dead, his shitty Vegas tunnel is a disaster that they don't have enough money to throw at it in order to rehabilitate its image.

• Solar City is irredeemable garbage and people hate it, idk if anyone even takes it seriously these days but any mention of it is probably going to raise attention about the glaring lack of solar roof tiles.

• Tesla is hot garbage and they aren't going to get FSD or robotaxis any time soon, plus all the usual complaints (safety, quality, cost etc.) along with the empty promises about the low-cost options and new models that are vaporware

• Starlink is unfeasible on a technical and economic level. It cannot afford to expand its operations and Elon Musk is in hot water with the liberals over using Starlink as a geopolitical tool.

• Neuralink is the typical Elon playbook - massive amounts of (attempted) hype, very little to back it up with, and there's a whole lot of competitors elsewhere that are quietly doing similar things that don't make grandiose claims and that are making strides in this area. I don't see it going very far.

• Idk that much about SpaceX - there have been rumblings about it not being viable but I'm not sure as to the truth of such claims. I do know that they are relying on government money to be viable. SpaceX seems to be the most secure and sustainable part of Elon Musk's empire and that could change abruptly with one lost government contract or one disastrous launch.

[-] RedWizard@hexbear.net 25 points 5 months ago
[-] macabrett@lemmy.ml 13 points 5 months ago

Concerning.

[-] gramxi@hexbear.net 11 points 5 months ago

I can't believe they sold that many honestly. I figured there were only a few hundred of these death traps on the road.

[-] aaro@hexbear.net 7 points 5 months ago* (last edited 5 months ago)
[-] Creat@discuss.tchncs.de 5 points 5 months ago
[-] aaro@hexbear.net 4 points 5 months ago

I edited it to a less flaky proxitok mirror

this post was submitted on 19 Apr 2024
231 points (100.0% liked)

news

23447 readers
905 users here now

Welcome to c/news! Please read the Hexbear Code of Conduct and remember... we're all comrades here.

Rules:

-- PLEASE KEEP POST TITLES INFORMATIVE --

-- Overly editorialized titles, particularly if they link to opinion pieces, may get your post removed. --

-- All posts must include a link to their source. Screenshots are fine IF you include the link in the post body. --

-- If you are citing a twitter post as news please include not just the twitter.com in your links but also nitter.net (or another Nitter instance). There is also a Firefox extension that can redirect Twitter links to a Nitter instance: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/libredirect/ or archive them as you would any other reactionary source using e.g. https://archive.today . Twitter screenshots still need to be sourced or they will be removed --

-- Mass tagging comm moderators across multiple posts like a broken markov chain bot will result in a comm ban--

-- Repeated consecutive posting of reactionary sources, fake news, misleading / outdated news, false alarms over ghoul deaths, and/or shitposts will result in a comm ban.--

-- Neglecting to use content warnings or NSFW when dealing with disturbing content will be removed until in compliance. Users who are consecutively reported due to failing to use content warnings or NSFW tags when commenting on or posting disturbing content will result in the user being banned. --

-- Using April 1st as an excuse to post fake headlines, like the resurrection of Kissinger while he is still fortunately dead, will result in the poster being thrown in the gamer gulag and be sentenced to play and beat trashy mobile games like 'Raid: Shadow Legends' in order to be rehabilitated back into general society. --

founded 4 years ago
MODERATORS