trolley problem (hexbear.net)
submitted 11 months ago by StellarTabi@hexbear.net to c/memes@hexbear.net
top 50 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] KiraChats@hexbear.net 123 points 11 months ago

this is my first comment here, just wanted to say that it's so nice to find a corner of the internet where i can be an openly vegan communist and vibe with similar ppl. I'm so tired of tiptoeing around "based" carnists that go full chud once you eat a veggie burger in front of them or ask them to not be speciesist. sorry for the mushy comment but ty yall 😭

[-] Venus@hexbear.net 72 points 11 months ago

Unfortunately we have those people here too. But yeah, the fact that like 30% of people here won't go full chud against vegans is an improvement yea

[-] JohnBrownNote@hexbear.net 32 points 11 months ago
[-] Venus@hexbear.net 45 points 11 months ago

Carnists should be baited, and when they take the bait they should be [redacted]

load more comments (1 replies)
[-] StellarTabi@hexbear.net 42 points 11 months ago
[-] HornyOnMain@hexbear.net 31 points 11 months ago

kim-salute never stop bait posting

[-] BelieveRevolt@hexbear.net 59 points 11 months ago

Welcome, and sorry for the same kinds of comments made by supposed comrades in this thread im-vegan vegan-v

[-] KiraChats@hexbear.net 28 points 11 months ago

thanks <3 yeah it hurts to see ngl, really wish carnists would simply stop being hateful

[-] LesbianLiberty@hexbear.net 53 points 11 months ago* (last edited 11 months ago)

bean stalin-spoonstalin-gun-2

Me when I see a tasty looking bowl of beans

[-] MF_COOM@hexbear.net 53 points 11 months ago

You should post more posting

[-] artificialset@hexbear.net 48 points 11 months ago
[-] KiraChats@hexbear.net 41 points 11 months ago* (last edited 11 months ago)

aww thank you!!! just subscribed!

[-] mustGo@hexbear.net 98 points 11 months ago

the meme: "you're just lazy, right?"
the comments: "how dare you call me lazy, I actually enjoy hurting others"

[-] BeamBrain@hexbear.net 53 points 11 months ago

How do you know someone's a carnist? Don't worry, they'll tell you

[-] sooper_dooper_roofer@hexbear.net 90 points 11 months ago

you guys know there's a such thing as humane and carbon-negative pork right? officer-down

[-] ntzm@lemmy.ml 45 points 11 months ago

Was about to be mad but then the image loaded

[-] Poison_Ivy@hexbear.net 61 points 11 months ago

I would simply do photosynthesis

[-] Catradora_Stalinism@hexbear.net 38 points 11 months ago

name checks out

[-] seeking_perhaps@hexbear.net 50 points 11 months ago

Pretty disgusted at the carnism in this thread.

[-] 1simpletailer@startrek.website 32 points 11 months ago

Honestly this thread is better then most, but I suspect Hexbear has a higher concentration of Vegans and people who support veganism. There's been plenty of "Lol VEgAn BAd" post on the regular meme and shitposting lemmies, and they're getting more popular with the influx of chuds from Reddit.

[-] DictatrshipOfTheseus@hexbear.net 30 points 11 months ago

Same. Deeply grateful for the pushback on it, though.

load more comments (5 replies)
[-] Babs@hexbear.net 49 points 11 months ago

We don't have enough edgy carnists comments in here so idk guess I would murder the pig or whatever, not like it has any feelings, and my momentary enjoyment of its taste is worth more than its life. I am a good leftist btw.

[-] Cherufe@hexbear.net 29 points 11 months ago

Uhh my turn for edgy carnist comment

Have you noticed how carnist kinda sounds like Carnotaurus and Carnotaurus are rad as hell?

Gets hit by a meteor and dies 65 millions of years ago

[-] Tankiedesantski@hexbear.net 48 points 11 months ago

Idea for a bit: a vegan Objectivist who lets the trolley hit the pig because he wasn't going to eat the pig anyway.

[-] darkmode@hexbear.net 47 points 11 months ago

vegan thread breaks containment

139 comments

party-sicko

load more comments (2 replies)
[-] WithoutFurtherRelay@hexbear.net 45 points 11 months ago

My only problem with this meme is that it implies that every time you eat meat you commit murder, when in reality, the horrific meat industry will continue to murder regardless of whether or not you as a single individual choose to consume it’s products. The belief that an individual decision to not eat an animal “saves” that animal is what is partially behind disgusting subversions of veganism, such as “plant-based” capitalism.

I would draw a comparison with ingredients such as palm oil. Palm oil is obtained primarily through literal slave labor, but individually purchasing palm oil products (of which make up the vast majority of products in general) does not really change anything. On the other hand, if you had a concentrated, influential movement to stop buying palm oil products, refusing to buy them could empower that movement and contribute to the end of that slavery.

But, that does not mean that veganism is an invalid movement. Far from it. It simply means that the onus to become vegan is because it empowers a social movement that can end this horrific industry, rather than because of a individualistic consumer choice.

This is why I have a hard time morally judging my friends and family for not being vegan, but are vegan myself. Veganism is a political position, and I treat it similarly to the people I care about being LIB . I should correct them when I can, but they are not individually terrible people for having the wrong political opinions (and, to a degree, behavior).

load more comments (11 replies)
[-] robot_dog_with_gun@hexbear.net 42 points 11 months ago

can someone please explain why vegans are allowed to engage in sectarian gatekeeping? Anarchists and MLs are rightly prevented from fighting about who is and isn't a real leftist, that should extend to vegan users not saying we're not real leftists for eating meat or using animal products.

[-] AntiOutsideAktion@hexbear.net 38 points 11 months ago* (last edited 11 months ago)

Because the difference between anarchists and communists is one of strategy while the difference between vegans and bloodmouths is wanting to cause suffering for selfish reasons. It's not sectarian.

And no. If you're not following your ethics to the ultimate conclusion and still have a strain of "I deserve the exploits of others suffering" in you, then you're not actually a leftist.

[-] robot_dog_with_gun@hexbear.net 28 points 11 months ago

oh so Cuba, Viet Nam, China, the USSR, the DPRK, the Paris commune... all are or were vegan? funny how that bit gets left out of the history books

load more comments (24 replies)
[-] HumanBehaviorByBjork@hexbear.net 33 points 11 months ago

because it makes you mad specifically

[-] regularassbitch@hexbear.net 27 points 11 months ago

can someone explain why rentoids are allowed to engage in sectarian gatekeeping? Anarchists and MLs are rightly prevented from fighting about who is and isn't a real leftist, that should extend to rentoid users not saying we're not real leftists for owning an apartment building we inherited from our grandparents.

load more comments (13 replies)
[-] P1d40n3@hexbear.net 41 points 11 months ago
load more comments (4 replies)
[-] PM_ME_YOUR_FOUCAULTS@hexbear.net 40 points 11 months ago

I see the post

I see 200 comments

rust-darkness

[-] PurrLure@hexbear.net 38 points 11 months ago

Muh multi tracking pork and bean treats hue hue hue berdly-smug

Sounds like we need another Dominion viewing.

[-] berrytopylus@hexbear.net 37 points 11 months ago

Carnist Catch 22, if it hits the beans then they'll be destroyed and you'll have to eat the pig to survive.

[-] NotErisma@hexbear.net 33 points 11 months ago

pushing the lever becos i don't have a can opener and I'm thinking about thos beans

[-] autism_2@hexbear.net 32 points 11 months ago

In this scenario, it appears I am a beautiful, divine creature, and I would be free of sin. I crush the trolley between my tendrils and devour it.

[-] Brak@hexbear.net 32 points 11 months ago* (last edited 11 months ago)

least problematic carnist be like:

i cant really empathize with animals like how i can with people. i hit dogs with my car on the way to work all the time (once a week or so). its unavoidable because they charge into the road from their yards and its too windy to move out of the way usually so i mostly just accelerate into them & drive over their bodies.

if i hit even one (1) person id never live with the guilt and quit my job. its unfair to expect one (1) puppy to equal one (1) human. (i know you dont expect that, but i feel better if i write this idk why).

how many puppies would i have to hit before it was enough for me to care much? it would have to be like when the cicadas come out - piles and piles of puppies for miles. i just value my fiance having nice things more than the lives of those dogs, even though i like puppies a lot. i will continue to hit dogs with my car, it is the natural order of things.

blob-stabby speech-l

some details changed to protect the innocent & make dunking easier

brak this is a weird thing to admit online, friendo!

load more comments (4 replies)
[-] bbnh69420@hexbear.net 32 points 11 months ago

Oh good, we haven’t had this since federation

[-] betelgeuse@hexbear.net 36 points 11 months ago

The lemmyverse is not ready for the power of our vegan posters. We were barely ready.

[-] Thordros@hexbear.net 31 points 11 months ago

vegan containment breach, alert the prime minister

[-] Are_Euclidding_Me@hexbear.net 40 points 11 months ago

This website is nominally anti-exploitation, even of animals. That was the upshot of the last vegan struggle session. We vegans do not need to be "contained", and carnists who have a problem with that can fuck all the way off.

[-] kewko@lemdro.id 30 points 11 months ago

As someone who had pork and beans for lunch I must say idk

[-] Brak@hexbear.net 29 points 11 months ago

brak oh boy howdy! love me a good lefty meme! i am sure the replies to this lefty meme will be very normal & not full of people having emotional breakdowns over vegans existing!

[-] Maoo@hexbear.net 29 points 11 months ago

Hexbear self-crit non-fans: "I punch the person that reminded me I make this choice".

[-] HornyOnMain@hexbear.net 28 points 11 months ago

Real big brain takes in here like "but have you considered that I don't think animals are sentient"

load more comments (7 replies)
load more comments
view more: next ›
this post was submitted on 02 Nov 2023
272 points (100.0% liked)

memes

22687 readers
372 users here now

dank memes

Rules:

1. All posts must be memes and follow a general meme setup.

2. No unedited webcomics.

3. Someone saying something funny or cringe on twitter/tumblr/reddit/etc. is not a meme. Post that stuff in !the_dunk_tank@www.hexbear.net, it's a great comm.

4. Va*sh posting is haram and will be removed.

5. Follow the code of conduct.

6. Tag OC at the end of your title and we'll probably pin it for a while if we see it.

7. Recent reposts might be removed.

8. Tagging OC with the hexbear watermark is praxis.

9. No anti-natalism memes. See: Eco-fascism Primer

founded 3 years ago
MODERATORS