submitted 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago) by MicroWave@lemmy.world to c/world@lemmy.world

Over 100 Israelis have died and more than 900 were injured after rockets were fired from Gaza by Hamas militants, Israeli officials said Saturday.

The Palestinian Health Ministry said 198 were killed in Gaza and at least 1,610 were injured Saturday in retaliatory attacks from Israel.

"We are at war. We will win," Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Saturday.

The Israeli Defense Forces earlier declared "a state of alert for war," according to a statement issued by the IDF.

"Over the past hour, the Hamas terrorist organization launched massive barrages of rockets from Gaza into Israel, and its terrorist operatives have infiltrated into Israel in a number of different locations in the south," the IDF said early Saturday.

top 50 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] kescusay@lemmy.world 248 points 1 year ago

This is awful, and there are no good sides to it. Hamas are terrorists, and the Israeli government's actions have made this kind of thing inevitable.

A lot of innocent people on both sides will die, nothing will get resolved, and both sides will continue to do horrible things to each other.

This sucks.

[-] Wahots@pawb.social 34 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

Iranian goverment is celebrating the attack they backed.

Thousands will die from their weapons. Thousands more will be permanently disfigured or injured. Hamas put their HQ right in downtown, so when it got predictably destroyed, it hurt a bunch of civilians.

Not surprising since the Saudis and Israel were finally starting to make up, which Iran hates. But sad nonetheless. I hope the Israelis and Palestinians can come to an agreement, and that Iran gets a better, more peaceful government. But I doubt it.

[-] kescusay@lemmy.world 9 points 1 year ago

:(

I hate absolutely everything to do with this.

load more comments (2 replies)
load more comments (1 replies)
[-] halfempty@kbin.social 136 points 1 year ago

No good guys here. Hamas doesn't seem to serve the Palestinians, they serve their own Jihadist agenda. Isreal remains a fascist apartheid regime which has been systematically killing all Palestinians in a genocide for decades.

[-] selokichtli@lemmy.ml 14 points 1 year ago

There's action and reaction here.

[-] Cryophilia@lemmy.world 20 points 11 months ago

And reaction and reaction and reaction...going back 5,000 years

load more comments (8 replies)
load more comments (21 replies)
[-] randon31415@lemmy.world 73 points 1 year ago

There was a joke on Rick and Morty that Rick got the Palestinians and the Israelis to sign the treaty of "peace plan that works if you think about it a bit".

I am sure every commenter has one of those plans in their back pocket that would work if implemented. The problem is there is no incentive. In Palestinine, Hamas grows stronger the more Palestinians hate Isreal, and their opposition grows stronger the more Palestinians want peace. Meanwhile Likud grows stronger the more Israelis hate Palestinians, and the opposition grows stronger when Israelis want peace. Why would either side implement something that would decrease their power?

[-] Misconduct@startrek.website 32 points 1 year ago

The sad thing is that the people dying for this usually aren't anywhere remotely near the level of the people that have power to lose or keep. Dying for the sake of rich assholes all the way down

load more comments (15 replies)
[-] ThisIsJohnny@lemmy.world 42 points 11 months ago

Fuck islamist terrorism. Fuck Hamas.

[-] PotatoKat@lemmy.world 42 points 11 months ago

I agree, but also fuck apartheid and fuck Israel

[-] arc@lemm.ee 11 points 11 months ago

Fuck them both basically, but for different reasons.

[-] doctorcrimson@lemmy.today 41 points 1 year ago

POTUS Biden already gave a response on supporting their military ally, Israel, and if I see one more braindead fucking comment like "sUrE BUt WhERe wAs HAwAiI's FaST ReSPoNsE?" Within 4 hours he sent aid an national guard response, idk how right wingers keep using that stupid fucking talking point.

That said I really don't appreciate the onesidedness of the USA response, I have much higher hopes for the UN council assigned to this issue and any UN Task Forces deployed in the future. I believe Israel mostly caused this issue on their own by the apartheid oppression of Palestinians, I think this outcome and many other attrocities would have been completely avoided in the timeline where Rabin wasn't assassinated

load more comments (9 replies)
[-] Hyperreality@kbin.social 41 points 1 year ago

I find the timing of this suspicious, given there's rumours the negotiations between the US and SA are in their final stages.

If SA is about to throw Palestine under the bus, as is rumoured, that could explain the timing.

[-] akrot@lemmy.world 16 points 1 year ago

You're on point, Hezbollah released a statement backing up that claim, a warning for "normalization".

load more comments (4 replies)
[-] arymandias@feddit.de 36 points 1 year ago

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

load more comments (3 replies)
[-] TwoGems@lemmy.world 32 points 1 year ago

This feels way too convenient for Netanyahu.

[-] DrTeeth@lemmy.world 17 points 11 months ago

Nor really. A large part of Natenyahu's platform is security. "Keep me in power and I will protect you". He has failed in this spectacularly, and Mossads reputation will take a very significant hit. Hamas has made them look incompetent. Of course he will use this to demand more authority, but overall it is bad for him.

[-] dantheclamman@lemmy.world 15 points 11 months ago* (last edited 11 months ago)

Somewhat, but it also undermines his "Mr. Security" image...a lot. He will assuredly blame it on the left, but when he's running against former military brass, rings hollow. Also really pulls the rug out from under his various peace accords

[-] cyborganism@lemmy.ca 32 points 11 months ago

How can Hamas even think they have an iota of a chance against a military power like Israel?

It makes no sense.

[-] boyi@lemmy.sdf.org 34 points 11 months ago* (last edited 11 months ago)

It makes sense, but not the way you think. They know they are going to lose. They know they are going to suffer greater retaliation. But they will have to endure it. And they know many of them will die because of it. They were ready to face the consequences.

I don't think this campaign is against the Israeli government. It's a strategic move targeted towards the illegal Israeli settlers and those who dare to encroach into the disputed Palestinian land! - to instill traumatic fear. It's a warning message to these people, even though the have the best military and the best surveillance techs, the government can't protect them. A stern message to them: If you dare to take this land from us, one day we will come to take it back from you, even your life, at the time you least expected and every efforts you put before will be in vain.

[-] Sheldybear@lemmy.world 12 points 11 months ago

Except that these attacks weren't against the settlers (who are taking land in the west bank), it's targeting the civilians in South Israel who have lived there for ages. I think the world was expecting to see this violence in the west bank, not gaza.

load more comments (14 replies)
[-] vidarh@lemmy.stad.social 33 points 11 months ago

A victim of bullying will eventually lash out whether or not they think they have a chance because they become desperate.

load more comments (7 replies)
[-] ToxicWaste@lemm.ee 16 points 11 months ago

They are desperate, frustrated, angry... They are human.

Neutrally looked at, a couple of french farmers and craftmen had no chance against the french military of 1789. But they where pushed to a point where they believed doing nothing is worse than dying trying. By chance they actually stormed the Bastille and kickstarzed a very dark chapter in french history.

[-] PhlubbaDubba@lemm.ee 11 points 11 months ago

They're genocidal lunatics covering their hatred in colors of justice and victimhood

They don't care about an actual chance, they just follow the directions their masters in tehran give them because they'll happily make themselves dogs if it means they get to go full turner diaries wet dream mode.

[-] cmbabul@lemmy.world 24 points 1 year ago

Well that’s not gonna be good for anybody

[-] Marin_Rider@aussie.zone 18 points 1 year ago

not the sort of thing that's good to wake up to. very sad

[-] archonet@lemmy.world 12 points 11 months ago

Conflict between Israel and Palestine, color me shocked. Next you'll tell me China and Taiwan aren't the best of friends.

[-] redcalcium@lemmy.institute 11 points 1 year ago

Israel has the iron dome to prevent something like this from happening, right? So why does the attack work this time?

[-] Veraticus@lib.lgbt 29 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

It’s not perfect and especially a huge amount of rockets can overwhelm it. Also it’s much more effective on slower homemade rockets, not the faster kind Iran typically sells Hamas.

[-] oatscoop@midwest.social 9 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

the faster kind Iran typically sells Hamas.

... Well, this isn't going to end well.

[-] DessertStorms@kbin.social 17 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

OP's headline isn't great, the rockets were only one part of todays events

At 6:29am, the Gaza Strip terrorist group launched an incursion into Israeli territory by land, sea and air as well as some 3,000 rockets within hours.. ..Armed Palestinians managed to overwhelm several Israeli communities and military bases along the border, which have stayed under their control for hours. Dozens of Israeli civilians were believed to be held captive in Kibbutz Be'eri. Israeli forces poured into the conflict zones and engaged the terrorists. Dozens of Israeli captives - including numerous women, children and elders - are believed to have been taken into the Gaza Strip.

source

ETA: there's the added factor that it's Saturday and a religious holiday so more people would have been asleep at home at that time, or on their way to pray/celebrate/party.

[-] circuscritic@lemmy.ca 15 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

Saturation attacks are a common tactic to overwhelm air defense zones, but this isn't just that. Hamas and IJ fighters have begun ethnically cleansing border towns, literally gunning down shelters full of civilians, as well as parading the naked bodies of women they've raped and murdered, through the streets.

This is only a fraction of the attacks, and all on video btw, but I don't suggest watching them.

load more comments (10 replies)
[-] protovack@lemmy.world 10 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

badly drawn maps are a major culprit. its clear many commenters are young and don't know the actual history. i'm a bit surprised by just how many pro-hamas posts ive seen. its a little disturbing. read your history. there is very little that the modern state of Israel could have done to prevent any of this. these extremists want total annihilation of israel. what can israel do against terrorists whose stated goal is to participate in a holy war which they believe is their ticket to heaven? it's an unwinnable conflict. peace talks only work if all sides actually want peace (and just disagree about how to accomplish it) every insane group of extremists across history has had to be dealt with forcefully, at some point, in some way or another, for all of human history. the japanese, germans, soviets, koreans, all needed to be dealt with, and in all cases it required overwhelming force sustained by wide coalitions over many years.

this is no different. if you are young, don't know the history, and are sitting in your room thinking there is some special concession Israel could give, that would turn this all around, its time to hit the library. The reality is that there isn't really any land in the area that would work for that. The available land that is compatible with human civilization in that part of the world, is completely full. There is no "amazon" that could be cut down to build new areas for Palestinians to live. It's a hot, arid, inhospitable part of the world, and civilization is clustered around natural rivers and mountainous locations. There's no place for anyone to go.

And then there's the ideology. Even if Israel and some broad coalition decided to invest trillions in some massive infrastructure project to make Gaza the best place in the world to live, the terrorists would still do exactly what they're doing today. The point you have to understand, is that Hamas does not care about Palestinians. Repeat that to yourself 10x and commit it to your brain forever. Islamic extremists do not care about achieving peaceful cooperation with people of other faiths and ideologies on planet earth. Nor do they even care about their own people.

People in the west are extremely soft and ignorant in some ways. They've grown up immersed in a culture of relative stability, judeo-christian ethics, etc. They have no concept that there are people out there who share none of that. They literally don't care. And the proof is all over twitter. Go watch, let it soak in.

Only a broad coalition with massive force can end this, just like every other time. otherwise its just on an endless cycle.

load more comments
view more: next ›
this post was submitted on 07 Oct 2023
615 points (98.0% liked)

World News

38691 readers
4054 users here now

A community for discussing events around the World

Rules:

We ask that the users report any comment or post that violate the rules, to use critical thinking when reading, posting or commenting. Users that post off-topic spam, advocate violence, have multiple comments or posts removed, weaponize reports or violate the code of conduct will be banned.

All posts and comments will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. This means that some content that violates the rules may be allowed, while other content that does not violate the rules may be removed. The moderators retain the right to remove any content and ban users.

Lemmy World Partners

News !news@lemmy.world

Politics !politics@lemmy.world

World Politics !globalpolitics@lemmy.world

Recommendations

For Firefox users, there is media bias / propaganda / fact check plugin.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/media-bias-fact-check/

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS