Direct link to the video

B-b-but he didn't cite his sources!!

all 10 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] corbin@awful.systems 8 points 1 year ago

Going a bit on side venture here with this comment, but I'd so much prefer this to be well written up instead of a two and half hour video. And it's so ubiquitous, watching videos over people reading, and I can't help but think it's extremely hurtful on a cultural/societal level.

Side sneer: Nah, video is great. Watching an hour-long video is a standard part of research for the working software engineer. Lots of content from conferences like Strange Loop, DEFCON / Black Hat, and CCC is only available as video, and was intended to be watched or accompanied by slides.

...But I may be biased, as I have no problem performing 2hr speedruns. Lately I've been running games with 3hr or 4hr routes, and I'll readily agree that it's not for everybody.

[-] jonhendry@iosdev.space 9 points 1 year ago

@corbin @bitofhope

2.5 hours is a bit of a slog but Olson’s videos are sufficiently entertaining and well-edited to make it work. He cites videos enough to make it worthwhile to present as a video.

Also, speaking for myself, his videos tend not to be the sort of topics where I would want to reference specific parts later, where a text version would be better.

I do wish some of the cited tweets and forum posts were easier to read in the video.

[-] JohnBierce@awful.systems 2 points 1 year ago

Oh heck yeah new Dan Olson

this post was submitted on 03 Oct 2023
27 points (100.0% liked)

TechTakes

1287 readers
446 users here now

Big brain tech dude got yet another clueless take over at HackerNews etc? Here's the place to vent. Orange site, VC foolishness, all welcome.

This is not debate club. Unless it’s amusing debate.

For actually-good tech, you want our NotAwfulTech community

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS