submitted 1 year ago by RNAi@hexbear.net to c/urbanism@hexbear.net
top 50 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] Weedian@hexbear.net 45 points 1 year ago
[-] PolPotPie@hexbear.net 38 points 1 year ago

i recently attended a training where we were informed that a degraded compound from tires breaks the blood-brain barrier in salmon and causes them to die.

[-] TankieTanuki@hexbear.net 27 points 1 year ago

But the human blood-brain barrier is more robust, right? ![anakin-padme-2](https://www.hexbear.net/pictrs/image/d005c0c7-e7e6-469f-993e-3012b90a48b9.png "emoji anakin-padme-2")

[-] dat_math@hexbear.net 11 points 1 year ago

We have larger body compartments outside the brain to soak up those degraded synthetic rubbers, so human bodies will probably tend to get lower intensity doses spread over a greater surface area of tissue to penetrate!

[-] UlyssesT@hexbear.net 33 points 1 year ago

Recent argument with a Lemmyverse carbrain:

"I have a small business that moves pallets. How would mass transit move my pallet? Case closed." ![smuglord](https://hexbear.net/pictrs/image/97a4a756-428f-4517-846a-1c810805ad28.png "emoji smuglord")

[-] Gucci_Minh@hexbear.net 31 points 1 year ago

As we all know, freight trains are incapable of carrying pallets, it's never been done before, just too experimental.

[-] RNAi@hexbear.net 21 points 1 year ago

Communism is when no small vehicles, only trains and buses

[-] MF_COOM@hexbear.net 32 points 1 year ago

Not to belittle the actual problem of tire rubber particulates, but the wording of the headline is very consistent with a green nationalist focus on "pollution" and "clean air" that minimizes exactly how many orders of magnitude more dangerous GHG emissions are than anything like this.

Also, even this is total bullshit - "more particle pollution by mass?" So CO2 is not a particle? A typical car emits waaaay more CO2 by mass in a month than the mass of an entire set of tires.

Again, not to minimize the actual cause for concern, but wording like this actively minimizes the climate apocalypse that the developed world has created and is sustaining.

load more comments (2 replies)
[-] robot_dog_with_gun@hexbear.net 24 points 1 year ago

i've always been a bit skeptical of the hyperfocus on CO₂ emissions as a proxy for pollution but

more particle pollution by mass

is suspiciously specific. No i will not click on the article.

[-] sawne128@hexbear.net 8 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

CO2 isn’t pollution* fyi.

Edit: I think I misread your comment, but to expand on what I mean, some people use CO2 emissions as a way to slam measures to reduce pollution that is toxic to nature, such as catalytic converters and plastic tax. I think this is possible because people confuse the concepts of "We shouldn't poison nature" and "We should stop climate change", which are both technically issues of pollution.

[-] Einstein@hexbear.net 24 points 1 year ago

Jesus christ. Anything that shouldnt be there, is by definition pollution. There is salt and calcium in sea water. Would you agree that industrial discharge of salt and calcium is pollution? If so then you have to agree that discharge of manmade carbon dioxide is pollution of the balance of the atmosphere.

[-] sawne128@hexbear.net 10 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

Ok, I see there are different definitions of pollution. I should say that CO2 is a very different kind of pollution from tyre particles.

Edit: There might be a language barrier here. I’m sorry if it was upsetting.

[-] Einstein@hexbear.net 6 points 1 year ago
[-] sawne128@hexbear.net 7 points 1 year ago

NP, I can see how I sounded like a flat earther.

[-] Einstein@hexbear.net 3 points 1 year ago

Sorry for the rant. Have been dealing with those types on youtube comments today.

[-] RNAi@hexbear.net 8 points 1 year ago

Yes it's a nitpicked measure, obviously the most environmental damage comes from all the fuel being burned.

[-] Frogmanfromlake@hexbear.net 18 points 1 year ago

Fucking hate those bigass trucks I used to see in Upstate New York. I saw more of them when I went a year ago and those bigass trucks almost always had US flags plastered all over them and a blue-line flag somewhere on the back. You'd get the occasional "don't tread on me" stuff as well.

[-] Gucci_Minh@hexbear.net 22 points 1 year ago

I hate when I see these assault trucks block off bike lanes, constantly get into near misses due to 0 visibility, and make everyone's lives harder because of their noise, size, and universally aggressive drivers. Worst part is they're never used for actual hauling, everyone who actually does work that needs a truck just gets a cargo van like a sane person.

[-] UltraVegit10101@hexbear.net 19 points 1 year ago

Almost killed me and my whole family in Dallas

load more comments (2 replies)
[-] TrudeauCastroson@hexbear.net 5 points 1 year ago

Over here all the big ass trucks have Canadian flags and "Fuck Trudeau" stickers (for the not-good reasons).

It's weird these people cling to hating him for covid protocols that don't exist anymore, and that weren't even under purview of the federal government.

[-] pumpchilienthusiast@hexbear.net 17 points 1 year ago
[-] tactical_trans_karen@hexbear.net 17 points 1 year ago

There's four of them for every car too, and each car will go through several sets in it's life. Tires don't just dissolve into thin air, these toxic compounds are literally ground into powder and flushed into our rivers every time it rains.

[-] Einstein@hexbear.net 16 points 1 year ago

I remember having to point this out to a local councillor some 15 years ago. The wanted to expand road development in our city centre from 3 lanes to 4. Whilst it didnt run past homes it was a very busy shopping area at the time. The councillor, at the time, thought that cars didnt pollute, and it was a real struggle to get the point across. Until the local sewerage system got gunked up with a grey paste every time after heavy rain. Turned out that was tyres that had worn. It kind of blocked the water from flowing and had a weird effect.

What made this oddly schadenfraude was the water, when it did come out of the storm drain, discharged into a part of the River Itchen that said councillor liked to fish in. It was probably, and probably is to this day, depleting the fish stocks. We know that microplastics have been found in fish, but we've found other chemicals related to cars have also been found.

[-] RNAi@hexbear.net 15 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

And that kid telling you not to widen the stroad that's killing your favortie river? Yep, it was Albert Einstein

[-] Grebgreb@hexbear.net 14 points 1 year ago

microplastics for the microplastic god

![microplastics-cool](https://hexbear.net/pictrs/image/d9cea011-19a8-4a8e-8273-54b341407059.png "emoji microplastics-cool")

[-] UltraVegit10101@hexbear.net 13 points 1 year ago

I hate cars I hate cars I hate cars I hate cars

[-] MiguelParenti@hexbear.net 11 points 1 year ago
[-] BynarsAreOk@hexbear.net 9 points 1 year ago

By "bigger ones" I assume this is strictly in an American point of which yeah I agree, there is nothing green about an electric F-150 or whatever.

But we can make small and lightweight cars, these actually exist elsewhere in China and even some in Europe. Of course the American car culture is irredeemable, burn and destroy it all or don't and let climate change do it for you anyway.

[-] Salmarez@hexbear.net 8 points 1 year ago

Yeah, and if we replace every non-electric car with a electric car...you realize that producing an electric car is polluting!

[-] bubbalu@hexbear.net 4 points 1 year ago

Embedded emissions? Who is she??

[-] Trainguyrom@reddthat.com 4 points 1 year ago

We all agree that cars themselves are a problem, but let me bang the drum a little on remote work because holy crap is that an easy way to greatly reduce car trips.

I happened to take a hybrid job (3 days remote/2 days in office) not long after losing a car to a deer, and let me tell you, despite living in exactly the kind of rural area that cars will always be a requirement to live in, having a hybrid job allowed my family to switch to being a single car family. It took a whole friggin car off the road!

If one can incentivize hybrid and remote work for all jobs that can be performed hybrid/remotely at a national level (take your pick on the nation too!) that would be a very low cost (if not increasing revenue for governments through fines and/or savings) way to greatly reduce how many car trips/miles are driven by car everywhere! That's great for the environment, that's great for traffic, that's great for road maintenance, that's great for workers, and its great for businesses!

[-] GarbageShoot@hexbear.net 3 points 1 year ago

Are those particles greenhouse gasses?

[-] SkeletorJesus@hexbear.net 3 points 1 year ago

Independent of tires, lithium extraction is an environmental nightmare of its own, AFAIK, and if I'm remembering right, all of the fossil fuels used in producing a car make up a full half of the amount of CO2 it's responsible for across its lifetime. Electric cars are PART of a solution, and a small one at that.

[-] SerLava@hexbear.net 2 points 1 year ago

![train-shining](https://www.hexbear.net/pictrs/image/fb23fadf-93d8-497e-9033-d2bcfd37ee53.png "emoji train-shining") I'm steel on steel baby

this post was submitted on 27 Sep 2023
223 points (100.0% liked)

urbanism

22538 readers
16 users here now

This was supposed to be c/traingang, so post as many train pictures as possible.

All about urbanism and transportation, including freight transportation.

Home of train gang

:arm-L::train-shining::arm-R:

Trainposts highly encouraged

Talk about supply chain issues here!

List of cool books and videos about urbanism, transit, and other cool things

Titles must be informative. Please do not title your post "lmao" or use the tired "_____ challenge" format.

Archive links for reactionary sites, including the BBC.

LANDLORDS COWER IN FEAR OF MAOTRAIN

"that train pic is too powerful lmao" - u/Cadende

founded 4 years ago
MODERATORS