hmmm (lemmy.world)
top 50 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] Treczoks@lemmy.world 14 points 4 hours ago

Worth a try. If it does not work, it did not cost a fortune, if it does, good for the owner.

[-] arc@lemm.ee 17 points 5 hours ago

Seems like a plausible strategy. If the roof is lashed down it can't catch the wind and therefore is less likely to weaken over time and go flying. Certainly better than doing nothing.

[-] where_am_i@sh.itjust.works 19 points 6 hours ago

With all these experts in the comments, I now want the original sauce and to follow up to see what actually will happen.

[-] tacosplease@lemmy.world 12 points 4 hours ago

YouTube recommended a video of this to me yesterday. The straps are anchored with cement. Seems like it buys him X additional mph of wind speed compared to his neighbors. We'll see if the winds are in that "more than a regular roof can handle but less than the straps can hold" range.

[-] drathvedro@lemm.ee 23 points 11 hours ago* (last edited 10 hours ago)

Apparently, he's not the first, and it might actually have a chance of working.

[-] prettybunnys@sh.itjust.works 20 points 6 hours ago* (last edited 6 hours ago)

Jesus Diaz was afraid the roof would blow off. And while the straps are gone, the roof stayed put. His home didn’t sustain damage, either.

Meanwhile the row of houses a street over that got raked with his modern-day chain shot are ravaged

[-] Etterra@lemmy.world 7 points 11 hours ago

I wonder how deep those stakes are driven lol

[-] sxan@midwest.social 8 points 6 hours ago

On the surface, it looks as if they bored decent size holes in the ground and set the anchors in concrete. With a Bobcat, they could easily get 3 meter x 40cm holes; that's 904kg of concrete at each anchor point, and a lot of friction.

This isn't the stupidest idea I've ever seen; given that they can't move their house, and set unlikely to move all their possessions for just a few days, Heck, it's not a bad idea at all, and looks well-executed.

[-] Wolf314159@startrek.website -1 points 4 hours ago

I guarantee it's not deep enough. Hurricanes of this magnitude topple and uproot trees with massive root structures extending several meters underground. These type of DIY solutions are almost always create more hazard than they solve.

[-] DancingBear@midwest.social 7 points 2 hours ago

More than likely, if the straps are attached to cement blocks, the cement is deeper than the average depth of a tree root.

[-] Omgpwnies@lemmy.world 4 points 4 hours ago

Those trees are also giant sails which transfers that much more force from the wind

[-] jaschen@lemm.ee 27 points 15 hours ago

Someone remind us of this works after Milton goes through this house.

For a 2k investment I'm willing to try it to save my home.

[-] salvaria@lemmy.blahaj.zone 34 points 17 hours ago
[-] TachyonTele@lemm.ee 23 points 15 hours ago

Uploaded 3 hours ago!
I seriously want to know how it goes with his house. I give him props for trying.

[-] Lucidlethargy@sh.itjust.works 13 points 14 hours ago

This is like congratulating Don Quixote for killing all the dragons.

[-] tetris11@lemmy.ml 10 points 5 hours ago

It's congratulating Don Quixote for trying to preserve chivalric code, no matter how misguided it may be, with the result being better than what you'd think at first glance.

[-] Lucidlethargy@sh.itjust.works 12 points 14 hours ago

This is extremely stupid. I was happy to see that most people here seem to immediately understand this.

[-] Blaster_M@lemmy.world 34 points 18 hours ago

slaps tightened straps "That's not going anywhere"

[-] MashedTech@lemmy.world 7 points 12 hours ago* (last edited 12 hours ago)

Those are the magical words that make it happen. The straps are just for show.

[-] GreenKnight23@lemmy.world 13 points 15 hours ago

I love that the straps are parallel to the trusses. only thing better would be watching those straps cut through the shingles, underlayment, and sheeting like cheese once winds hit 188mph.

[-] Assman@sh.itjust.works 24 points 18 hours ago

pats roof

That ain't going nowhere

load more comments (1 replies)
[-] justme@lemmy.dbzer0.com 2 points 10 hours ago

The murican level blowing the scale

[-] mayo@lemmy.world 16 points 17 hours ago* (last edited 17 hours ago)

Holy shit all this time I thought The Picard Maneuver was an entire sub and thanks to that meme earlier I see you're an actual person. Finally clued in..

Good stuff too!

Also this seems like an idea worth trying. Cheap, maybe might work? Idk. I'm not inside hurricanes ever.

[-] The_Picard_Maneuver@lemmy.world 27 points 17 hours ago

Haha, yep - I'm just a guy.

[-] shneancy@lemmy.world 8 points 10 hours ago

a legend more like

load more comments (2 replies)
load more comments (2 replies)
[-] Bahnd@lemmy.world 89 points 23 hours ago

The problem is almost never that the wind it blowing, its what the wind is blowing.

[-] lemmyng@lemmy.ca 81 points 23 hours ago

In this case, I expect it's going to be blowing those ratchet straps after they become unanchored, turning them into whips that'll cleave the roof in half.

[-] poVoq@slrpnk.net 42 points 22 hours ago* (last edited 22 hours ago)

The description for the picture says they are connected to big burried concrete blocks, so likely the house is gone before these straps get loose.

load more comments (8 replies)
[-] Chocrates@lemmy.world 46 points 23 hours ago

Hurricanes rip poorly built roofs off all the time. Builders get lazy and install the hurricane anchor things wrong. At least the local home inspector on Reddit used to say

load more comments (4 replies)
[-] sundray@lemmus.org 37 points 21 hours ago

If this homeowner is as good at tying down his house as the yokels around here are at tying down their cargo, then the odds are this house is somehow going to end up hitting my windshield.

[-] absGeekNZ@lemmy.nz 68 points 23 hours ago

I wonder what the vibration frequency of those straps is, once the wind is blowing through them.

Will they vibrate the roof into mush before they pull out of the ground and become metal ended whips?

[-] MachineFab812@discuss.tchncs.de 17 points 19 hours ago

As someone who straps, I felt this in my soul. God I hate that noise(I use tarp clamps for dampeners).

load more comments (6 replies)
[-] Hux@lemmy.ml 39 points 21 hours ago

As long as someone is shredding death metal guitar on the roof throughout the storm, I approve.

[-] teamevil@lemmy.world 3 points 5 hours ago

Technically you're not allowed to have a storm before there's a dude shredding death metal on a rooftop.

[-] HowManyNimons@lemmy.world 2 points 11 hours ago
load more comments
view more: next ›
this post was submitted on 09 Oct 2024
443 points (98.7% liked)

hmmm

4602 readers
791 users here now

Internet as an art

Rule 1: All post titles except for meta posts should be just plain "hmmm" and nothing else, no emotes, no capitalisation, no extending it to "hmmmm" etc.

I will introduce more rules later and when I finish doing that I will make an announcement post about that.

For overall temporary guide check out the rules here: https://www.reddit.com/r/hmmm/wiki/rules/

I won't be moving all of them here but I will keep most of them.

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS