hmmm (lemmy.world)
you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] Bahnd@lemmy.world 90 points 1 day ago

The problem is almost never that the wind it blowing, its what the wind is blowing.

[-] lemmyng@lemmy.ca 82 points 1 day ago

In this case, I expect it's going to be blowing those ratchet straps after they become unanchored, turning them into whips that'll cleave the roof in half.

[-] poVoq@slrpnk.net 43 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

The description for the picture says they are connected to big burried concrete blocks, so likely the house is gone before these straps get loose.

[-] Amanduh@lemm.ee 7 points 1 day ago

Yeah but if a tree slams into the strap and breaks it

[-] fubbernuckin@lemmy.world 7 points 15 hours ago

It might break the roof. Those straps are nearly as wide as that truck's brake lights, i don't see them snapping so easily.

[-] RestrictedAccount@lemmy.world 15 points 21 hours ago

Those straps aren’t going to break.

[-] Amanduh@lemm.ee 1 points 9 hours ago

Look man I'm not a sciencologist but if a big ol tree smacks into that strap maybe the strap doesn't break but the metal tie downs? Idk man doesn't seem like it would work out well for the house or straps

[-] DancingBear@midwest.social 2 points 5 hours ago

You could use those straps to lift a large tree up in the air with a crane

[-] HelixDab2@lemm.ee 6 points 8 hours ago

A 2" wide straps is supposed to fail at about 10,000 pounds/4500kg of static load. The nylon strap will fail long before the metal hardware does, and the roof is going to fail before either of those do. If a large enough object fell on the strap, the most probable scenario is that the strap would end up acting like a wire cutter to the roof.

[-] Amanduh@lemm.ee 3 points 5 hours ago
[-] Zombiepirate@lemmy.world 13 points 22 hours ago

It'll trampoline off into the neighbor's house.

[-] Chocrates@lemmy.world 46 points 1 day ago

Hurricanes rip poorly built roofs off all the time. Builders get lazy and install the hurricane anchor things wrong. At least the local home inspector on Reddit used to say

[-] Chef_Boyardee@lemm.ee 3 points 19 hours ago

I trust reddit posts too.

[-] itsnotits@lemmy.world 5 points 20 hours ago

it's* what the wind is blowing.

[-] Drunemeton@lemmy.world 8 points 1 day ago
[-] FenrirIII@lemmy.world 1 points 7 hours ago

They call me.. Tater-Salad.

[-] shalafi@lemmy.world 5 points 1 day ago

If your ass gets hit by a Volvo...

this post was submitted on 09 Oct 2024
447 points (98.7% liked)

hmmm

4602 readers
672 users here now

Internet as an art

Rule 1: All post titles except for meta posts should be just plain "hmmm" and nothing else, no emotes, no capitalisation, no extending it to "hmmmm" etc.

I will introduce more rules later and when I finish doing that I will make an announcement post about that.

For overall temporary guide check out the rules here: https://www.reddit.com/r/hmmm/wiki/rules/

I won't be moving all of them here but I will keep most of them.

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS