top 50 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] selokichtli@lemmy.ml 35 points 6 hours ago

They told me Windows 10 was the last Windows and I intend to make them fulfill that promise. And when I fail to make them fulfill their promise, I will keep it for myself.

[-] interdimensionalmeme@lemmy.ml 2 points 32 minutes ago

Win10 is the last windows. Defang it and put it in a VM. Still a better UI than the competition although KDE plasma is getting close, dolphin is very nice

[-] KairuByte@lemmy.dbzer0.com 20 points 5 hours ago

/sigh at this point i feel like “that guy” but M$ didnt say 10 would be the last Microsoft, a specific employee said it in a specific situation, that in context was pretty obviously “latest” and not “final”.

The internet just took that one line and ran with it, as they are known to do.

[-] selokichtli@lemmy.ml 4 points 5 hours ago

/sigh, I barely use it, and when I do, it pisses me off. I'll try to remember this anyway, thanks.

[-] secretfoxtail@lemmy.ca 3 points 3 hours ago

Lately I've been using OpenSUSE GNU/Linux and so far I've been relatively happy with. The installation process is simple and concise, and the system is rock-solid and easy to use.

[-] ichbinjasokreativ@lemmy.world 2 points 44 minutes ago

Opensuse is a very good and somewhat underrated choice imo

[-] sugar_in_your_tea@sh.itjust.works 3 points 2 hours ago

One of us!

I have Leap on my homelab and Tumbleweed on my desktop and laptop for >5 years now. It's been awesome, and it's my favorite so far from >15 years of Linux.

Glad you're enjoying it! Next step: get unreasonably obsessed with chameleons.

[-] secretfoxtail@lemmy.ca 2 points 33 minutes ago

I'm running Tumbleweed myself! Been very pleased overall. I believe OpenSUSE may have just cured my distro-hopping.

[-] hal_5700X@sh.itjust.works 4 points 5 hours ago
[-] stupidcasey@lemmy.world 20 points 8 hours ago

I feel Microsoft is in for a huge surprise when they end support for all versions of Windows except one that requires you to throw out your old hardware. At the same time, Linux is better than it’s ever been and is almost, if not just as easy to use as Windows. Not to mention, most work is done from a browser these days.

[-] JackbyDev@programming.dev 2 points 1 hour ago

I'm going to say there's a 10% chance Windows 11 gets BIOS support (or rather drops UEFI requirement) and drops TPM/SecureBoot requirement in the next three years. I think that's more likely than extending Windows 10 longer.

[-] SendMePhotos@lemmy.world 1 points 1 hour ago

I have a ton of application issues with Linux, so I have a dual boot.

[-] masquenox@lemmy.world 19 points 9 hours ago

There was official support for Windows 7?

[-] franklin@lemmy.world 18 points 9 hours ago* (last edited 9 hours ago)

Only the embedded variety meant to run on machines like ATMs, POS systems and other long term support machines.

[-] ripcord@lemmy.world 5 points 7 hours ago

Well, plus all the other versions too, but embedded especially in this case

[-] r00ty@kbin.life 77 points 14 hours ago

OK guys, guess it's time to upgrade to Windows 8. I bet it'll be great!

load more comments (5 replies)
[-] devfuuu@lemmy.world 25 points 12 hours ago

What you mean ended? It was just released the other day...

[-] tlou3please@lemmy.world 96 points 15 hours ago
load more comments (1 replies)
[-] Dindonmasker@sh.itjust.works 90 points 15 hours ago* (last edited 15 hours ago)

There's a pretty good amount of people still using it, it seems.

[-] jqubed@lemmy.world 107 points 14 hours ago

I feel pretty comfortable saying that was the last good one, perhaps the best one, and it’s been downhill ever since.

[-] A_Random_Idiot@lemmy.world 26 points 12 hours ago

Yep, I've said this before.

Windows 7 was the last great OS by microsoft.

It was light enough to not be a bother on even used hardware.

It was exceedingly stable and didnt need regular reformat and reinstalls like all previous windows OS's.

Didnt need to be constantly rebooted every time you exited a big task like previous Windows.

and you were able to do pretty much anything on it easily and without much fuss.

and, outside of like driver installs, the OS pretty much stayed out of your way.

It was brilliant. It was the best.

It was the peak of the curve. 3.11/95/98/ME/NT/XP all built up to 7, and 8/10/11 are all falling further and further away from 7.

The only reason to get rid of windows 7 is that there was no further way to monetize it since it had pretty good market saturation. If it wasnt for that Win7 would probably be the default OS for another 10+ years.

[-] JackbyDev@programming.dev 1 points 51 minutes ago

And Aero was amazing. Those glassy status bars yassss.

[-] catloaf@lemm.ee 2 points 1 hour ago* (last edited 1 hour ago)

2000 is a huge omission from that list. Windows 2000 on the NT kernel is really what solidified modern Windows.

[-] blockheadjt@sh.itjust.works 3 points 7 hours ago

There's the RAM limit that would need addressing. Also UEFI struggles with the Windows 7 splash screen, but that could be replaced with a simpler logo.

[-] A_Random_Idiot@lemmy.world 7 points 6 hours ago* (last edited 6 hours ago)

I dont want to do the whole "640K ought to be enough for anybody", but I cant imagine most home users, average and production, hitting the ram limit of windows 7 which is like 200gb or there abouts.

I would think anyone running loads that would require that much are probably running linux, like servers and such.

but even so, I'm sure it could have been expanded if there was an actual need.

[-] blockheadjt@sh.itjust.works 1 points 4 hours ago

Oh, I didn't realize Pro and beyond had such higher ram limits compared to home, til.

load more comments (3 replies)
load more comments (38 replies)
load more comments (11 replies)
load more comments
view more: next ›
this post was submitted on 08 Oct 2024
514 points (99.6% liked)

Technology

58521 readers
4869 users here now

This is a most excellent place for technology news and articles.

Our Rules

1. Follow the lemmy.world rules.
  2. Only tech related content.
  3. Be excellent to each another!
  4. Mod approved content bots can post up to 10 articles per day.
  5. Threads asking for personal tech support may be deleted.
  6. Politics threads may be removed.
  7. No memes allowed as posts, OK to post as comments.
  8. Only approved bots from the list below, to ask if your bot can be added please contact us.
  9. Check for duplicates before posting, duplicates may be removed

Approved Bots

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS