Daylight savings (lemmy.world)
top 50 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] hamid@sh.itjust.works 18 points 19 hours ago

Plot twist: He lives in Arizona where the whole state does that

[-] FlyingSquid@lemmy.world 4 points 18 hours ago

Indiana used to (mostly) ignore it, then I moved to L.A. and had to get used to it, then I moved back to Indiana a decade later and they'd started doing it. Argh!

[-] Lennny@lemmy.world 3 points 19 hours ago

M night shamallamadingdong twist - He lives in part of the reservation that does observe daylight savings.

[-] Kalysta@lemm.ee 59 points 1 day ago

Props to this man. Animals don’t follow daylight savings and it’s easier to keep a farm on standard time.

No, daylight savings was not invented for farmers

[-] Maeve@midwest.social 4 points 17 hours ago

Amen. It's like cutting the foot off a blanket and sewing it to the top, imagining you have a longer blanket, to borrow an analogy.

[-] Hammocks4All@lemmy.ml 69 points 1 day ago

“Excuse me sir on the tractor, what time is it?”

“It’s who gives a fuck o’clock, city boy.”

[-] kureta@lemmy.ml 5 points 1 day ago

The only times of day I know are dawn, morning, noon, afternoon, evening, dusk, and night. 24 hours are way more than you need.

[-] peto@lemm.ee 181 points 2 days ago

The amount of times I've heard someone say 'its for the farmers' as if farmers have ever given a fuck what the clock says.

load more comments (8 replies)
[-] NigelFrobisher@aussie.zone 51 points 1 day ago

They always used to claim daylight savings was for farmers, even though farmers are probably the people in society who least have to follow the same daily schedule as anyone else.

[-] Crashumbc@lemmy.world 30 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

I watched a documentary on it, it was actually a war thing. Back then many factories didn't have lights so they could adjust to the sun easier using DST.

It was only implemented during WWI and WWII until sometime in the sixties when it became permanent.

load more comments (1 replies)
[-] TheKracken@lemmy.world 7 points 1 day ago

You can blame this fuck https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Hudson_(entomologist) He wanted more time to look at bugs after work.

load more comments (14 replies)
[-] Dasus@lemmy.world 15 points 1 day ago

Sure he does, becsuse all time-measuring devices of any sort in his house are analogue and have to be changed manually, and none them have phones which automatically corrects the time.

So in essences they have some clocks in theirs houses which are off by an hour for four months a year. They still use the time everyone else uses, because that's how time works.

[-] Weslee@lemmy.world 15 points 1 day ago

You can pretty easily disable automatic daylight savings time adjustments on most devices, even my car has the option.

load more comments (7 replies)
[-] Buddahriffic@lemmy.world 7 points 1 day ago

Digital clocks were a thing long before the internet.

[-] Dasus@lemmy.world 3 points 1 day ago

Digital in sense of how they displayed time, sure, but not digital in how they update it. Not connected.

Not online. Offline clocks, I should've said.

Who would think digital clocks are newer than the Internet wth

[-] fallingcats@discuss.tchncs.de 3 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

Oh, sure they are. The one I'm using has been around for 50 years: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DCF77

Half the clocks sold here do support it, and even many "analog" (as in the clock face) ones.

[-] Maeve@midwest.social 1 points 17 hours ago

Doctors and scientists argue that standard time is better for our health. Our internal clock is better aligned with getting light in the morning, which, in turn, sets us up for better sleep cycles.

Obviously.

[-] Dasus@lemmy.world 4 points 1 day ago

The time-keeping in Central Europe is a bit different than ours here in the Nordics I see.

Either I'm so high that I've forgotten, or I learned something new from reading that. Thanks. TIL.

[-] Iheartcheese@lemmy.world 6 points 1 day ago
[-] phlegmy@sh.itjust.works 6 points 1 day ago

With the amount of idiots online, I have no idea if this is sarcasm or a genuine request.

[-] Iheartcheese@lemmy.world 13 points 1 day ago

I've never seen an idiot online. Source?

[-] MrShankles@lemmy.world 82 points 2 days ago

My dad did that one year lol. Refused to change his clocks or personal routine. Dunno if he was able to stick with it or not — but it was funny to hear him talk so seriously about why he "refuses to abide by such an arbitrary concept that makes his life harder, by having to adjust his body's schedule"

His face had such a straight up "nope, fuck all that" look about it, it cracked me up lmao

[-] badlotus@lemm.ee 66 points 2 days ago

I’ve never heard anyone who likes DST… this thread confirms my bias. Arizona has it right. We have internet now, no need to change clocks, just update your schedules for the season.

load more comments (67 replies)
[-] zarkanian@sh.itjust.works 34 points 1 day ago

Wasn't there a bill recently to get rid of DST, and it got stalled in Congress or something?

load more comments (4 replies)
[-] TheSlad@sh.itjust.works 41 points 2 days ago

Ok but hes actually got it backwards. Standard time is those four months in winter, and we use daylight savings time during the summer.

load more comments (8 replies)
load more comments
view more: next ›
this post was submitted on 07 Oct 2024
1117 points (99.3% liked)

People Twitter

5034 readers
3027 users here now

People tweeting stuff. We allow tweets from anyone.

RULES:

1. Mark NSFW content.
  2. No doxxing people.
  3. Must be a tweet or similar
  4. No bullying.
  5. Be excellent to each other.

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS