submitted 11 hours ago* (last edited 11 hours ago) by Rekall_Incorporated@lemm.ee to c/android@lemdro.id
top 40 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] daddy32@lemmy.world 16 points 2 hours ago

They have already practically ended it. The official process makes the user jump through so many hoops - registering account, using it for 30 days (!!!), installing their app, begging for unlock through it, getting random errors which the official support refuses to explain (!!!) and only after that having the chance to try to hit the daily unlock request window which lasts less than one minute each day (!!!) - that it is practically non existent. Fuck the fucking fuckers.

[-] AI_toothbrush@lemmy.zip 3 points 1 hour ago

It was a matter of time. We really need a good(or at least better) company to step up and make a phone. A framework phone would be fire but its gonna take years if they wanna fo it.

[-] ZeroPoke@lemmy.ca 6 points 2 hours ago

My current phone is an F5. One of my worst Android experiences has been this phone before I put a different ROM. Never would buy another one without being able to unlock the bootloader.

[-] potentiallynotfelix@lemdro.id 1 points 1 hour ago
[-] jenny_ball@lemmy.world 4 points 2 hours ago

i miss the early 2010s

[-] ByteMe@lemmy.world 3 points 2 hours ago

What a shame. I don't get why they would do that. Didn't I pay for the phone?

[-] AndrewZabar@lemmy.world 11 points 6 hours ago

The real goal that the community should be working on is to strengthen the political efforts to give people the rights to do whatever they want with phones they PURCHASE, and prohibit manufacturers from locking them down so the OWNER can’t make any changes. I would totally accept that it voids the warranty because they can’t cover all the bricked devices that result from reckless modding… but there should not be allowed any barriers between the OWNER and the software within.

And the reason for my emphasis of certain words is that the corporate world is really truly beginning to indulge the delusion that nobody ever owns anything and that purchases consumers make are merely the manufacturer granting them the privilege of indefinite loan. It all needs to stop hard and now.

[-] nossaquesapao@lemmy.eco.br 16 points 8 hours ago

If that's true, the temperature in the frog's pan goes up a little more... soon, we will lose all freedom in the mobile world :(

[-] darcmage@lemmy.dbzer0.com 9 points 7 hours ago

I feel like I'm limited to pixel phones since they're the only widely available phone that doesn't void the warranty for unlocking the bootloader. I haven't tried roms in a few years but I like having that choice. Fairphones can be a little hard to get. Are there other options? Lineage support would be ideal.

[-] blackris@discuss.tchncs.de 1 points 2 hours ago

There is also Shiftphone. The 8 model is supposed to come out in january 25. They explicitly support custom roms.

[-] darcmage@lemmy.dbzer0.com 1 points 3 minutes ago

If they stick with a Samsung manufactured 750G, it'll be limited to the low end market. There's nothing wrong with that but it's not really an option for the western mid to high end market.

[-] catloaf@lemm.ee 3 points 6 hours ago

I've been using Pixels for a while and I've been perfectly happy.

Well, except for my 6 having a green tint to the screen, but that was fixed in a software update a while back.

[-] darcmage@lemmy.dbzer0.com 1 points 6 hours ago

I don't have any complaints with the 6 either other than the fingerprint reader being a downgrade compared to older models. I don't plan to upgrade until the 10/10a with a TSMC tensor and hopefully major improvements in performance and efficiency. Would be nice to have more choices without sacrificing this admittedly obscure principle.

[-] infeeeee@lemm.ee 23 points 10 hours ago

The source on this is one guy from X (formerly Twitter), from Vietnam.

I mean, it sound plausible and expected, but it's not some official news.

[-] ISOmorph@feddit.org 28 points 11 hours ago* (last edited 11 hours ago)

The official process was a pain anyway, as it required sending personal identification data to China. Anyone that wants a custom ROM on their phone should be looking elsewhere, although I don't know of any brand that makes that process easy anymore

[-] higgsboson@dubvee.org 10 points 9 hours ago

Pixel devices are trivially easy to unlock

Well, Pixel still unlocks freely.

[-] MrPoopbutt@lemmy.world 7 points 9 hours ago

Assuming you dont get the phone through your carrier

[-] Frederic@beehaw.org 1 points 10 hours ago

can we use Google Wallet to tap pay with an unlocked bootloader?

I do with my Pixel 7 Pro. You need Magisk + Play Integrity Fix by Chiteroman at the moment.

[-] Frederic@beehaw.org 1 points 7 hours ago

yeah, on previous phones I played cat-and-mouse with magisk and all kind of patch to have Wallet work, but it breaks every 2 or 3 weeks and you have to chase down how to re-fix it..

It's slightly more reliable right now, but for sure, it's going to be cat-and-mouse for awhile at least. Google is phasing out legacy Play Integrity checks, and while it looked like there was no future for workarounds after they deprecated legacy methods, now at least it looks like the community has replicated a functional full keybox attestation chain so there's hope we can continue to workaround indefinitely into the future.

So yes, while you don't need to program your own solution and can just - in the end - install a pre-built fix still, it takes attention to keep up. If the above all sounds like gibberish, it's a good indication of the level of commitment you have to have to keep up with it. For me, it's worth it, but definitely understand, it gets tiresome.

[-] shortwavesurfer@lemmy.zip 6 points 10 hours ago

Pixel or OnePlus

[-] Rekall_Incorporated@lemm.ee 2 points 10 hours ago

Agreed, the official process was a massive pain and borderline non functional.

[-] chottomatte@lemdro.id 1 points 9 hours ago

So far I couldn't unlock the bootloader because whenever I add a number it tells me to try again tomorrow

[-] Fisch@discuss.tchncs.de 4 points 7 hours ago

So that's why unlocking the bootloader on my dad's phone doesn't work. This really sucks, I hope there's some other way to do it because HyperOS is straight ass.

[-] Chee_Koala@lemmy.world 4 points 8 hours ago

Bought a Pocophone F1 when that had insane value per dollar. Had to "wait" for a cooldown period to unlock the bootloader. I had never bought phones made for a Chinese market before. I have never felt more disrespected by a phone company, forcing me to use their launcher for 2 weeks, so condescending. I am a functioning human adult, thank you very much, I'll chose my own software. Never interested in made for Chinese market phones again.

[-] chottomatte@lemdro.id 1 points 6 hours ago

When I was trying to unlock the bootloader, Mi flash tool told me there's an update (v7.?) and gave me the link to download the newer version, when I tried to download it every browser I used gave an error in the website even with VPN Now reading this news , even if it's still unofficial.... I was wondering if Xiaomi retracted the update because it's actually preparing to close the program

[-] kokesh@lemmy.world 7 points 10 hours ago

Xiaomi was the only manufacturer I recently kept buying my "new flagship every 3 years". If it is not possible to unlock, I'm out. I guess a Pixel will be my choice. The only thing keeping me away from Pixel were the low performance CPUs.

[-] 1984@lemmy.today 4 points 9 hours ago

Pixel cpu is embarrassing though. Very low performance, and they somehow manage to convince the press it's fine by saying it's AI optimized. Wtf..

[-] independantiste@sh.itjust.works 3 points 5 hours ago

To 99% of people, battery life matters much more than it being 8% faster compared to last year's model. Though it can be argued that the pixel's efficiency sucks and that it affects the battery life significantly. For example on my phone I would gladly use the low power mode that reduces the cpu perf to about 70%, except it also forces the display to go to 60hz

[-] 1984@lemmy.today 1 points 2 hours ago* (last edited 2 hours ago)

Yeah that's true, but it's supposed to be a top model if you look at the insane price. So what do you actually get for that money then? I don't know what they are the best at, and also the camera housing is very ugly.

[-] independantiste@sh.itjust.works 1 points 1 hour ago

Fair point, it should get better for the pixel 10 though because iirc they will be switching to TSMC from Samsung foundry

[-] limerod@reddthat.com 2 points 8 hours ago

The performance may not be on par with other Flagships Socs. But, it can be considered a decent upper midrange flagship smartphone. The pixel phones after Pixel 8 are decent and do not have the bad heating issues of the past Pixel generations.

[-] Blaze@lemmy.zip 4 points 9 hours ago

Sad to hear

[-] chottomatte@lemdro.id 3 points 9 hours ago

I've decided a long time ago I won't buy Xiaomi phone again unless it's my only choice... if that's true then it's no more a choice Anybody knows what are OnePlus and Oppo polices with unlocking bootloader ?

[-] zerozaku@lemmy.world 1 points 9 hours ago

Is this a good news or a bad news?

[-] limerod@reddthat.com 11 points 8 hours ago

Bad news. Because you wouldn't be able to flash custom ROMs or do other modifications to your device.

If you are not familiar with rooting and custom ROMs. It should not matter to you.

[-] zerozaku@lemmy.world 2 points 8 hours ago

Damn I thought we would have more easier unofficial methods to unlock bootloader.

This is horrible because Xiaomi devices have a great scene in custom ROM community.

[-] Frederic@beehaw.org 1 points 10 hours ago

Same for PoCo ? It seems the PoCo F3 is one of the phone with the most custom ROM development on XDA, very popular.

this post was submitted on 07 Oct 2024
91 points (100.0% liked)

Android

17490 readers
363 users here now

The new home of /r/Android on Lemmy and the Fediverse!

Android news, reviews, tips, and discussions about rooting, tutorials, and apps.

🔗Universal Link: !android@lemdro.id

💡Content Philosophy:

Content which benefits the community (news, rumours, and discussions) is generally allowed and is valued over content which benefits only the individual (technical questions, help buying/selling, rants, self-promotion, etc.) which will be removed if it's in violation of the rules.

Support, technical, or app related questions belong in: !askandroid@lemdro.id

For fresh communities, lemmy apps, and instance updates: !lemdroid@lemdro.id

💬Matrix Chat

💬Telegram channels / chats

📰Our communities below

Rules

1. Stay on topic: All posts should be related to the Android OS or ecosystem.

2. No support questions, recommendation requests, rants, or bug reports: Posts must benefit the community rather than the individual. Please post to !askandroid@lemdro.id.

3. Describe images/videos, no memes: Please include a text description when sharing images or videos. Post memes to !androidmemes@lemdro.id.

4. No self-promotion spam: Active community members can post their apps if they answer any questions in the comments. Please do not post links to your own website, YouTube, blog content, or communities.

5. No reposts or rehosted content: Share only the original source of an article, unless it's not available in English or requires logging in (like Twitter). Avoid reposting the same topic from other sources.

6. No editorializing titles: You can add the author or website's name if helpful, but keep article titles unchanged.

7. No piracy or unverified APKs: Do not share links or direct people to pirated content or unverified APKs, which may contain malicious code.

8. No unauthorized polls, bots, or giveaways: Do not create polls, use bots, or organize giveaways without first contacting mods for approval.

9. No offensive or low-effort content: Don't post offensive or unhelpful content. Keep it civil and friendly!

10. No affiliate links: Posting affiliate links is not allowed.

Quick Links

Our Communities

Lemmy App List

Chat and More

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS