top 50 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] buddascrayon@lemmy.world 20 points 9 hours ago* (last edited 9 hours ago)
  1. Lack of competition in the market via mergers and acquisitions
  1. Companies change things on the back end (“twiddle their knobs”) to improve their fortunes and have a united, consolidated front to prevent any lawmaking that might constrain them
  1. Companies then embrace tech law to prevent new entrants into the market or consumer rights (see: DMCA, etc.)

This is the criteria he has laid out for the "enshitifacation" of the Internet.

This is funny to me because this is the exact pattern of every industry and service in the United States ever. The Internet isn't special, it's just the latest frontier for capitalism.

[-] Blackmist@feddit.uk 26 points 13 hours ago

The danger here is that they make "open" standards so horrendously complex and ever evolving that only the billionaire mega corporations can can realistically keep up with them.

See the web where Google now control it completely by having such an enormous amount of code that even Microsoft couldn't be arsed to keep up, or Office Open XML, where 100% compatibility is limited to exactly one product: The one that made it. I just downloaded the documentation for the standard. It is over 5000 fucking pages long. That was part 1 of 4.

load more comments (4 replies)
[-] flop_leash_973@lemmy.world 19 points 14 hours ago

Interoperability is how we “seize the means of computation.”

Good luck with that. If the success of the iPhone has taught me anything it is that the average person loves them some incompatible with anything but itself vertical integration.

[-] MehBlah@lemmy.world 34 points 17 hours ago

I loved the net when you had to have a clue to be there.

[-] Semi_Hemi_Demigod@lemmy.world 4 points 9 hours ago

The Eternal September is real

[-] MehBlah@lemmy.world 3 points 8 hours ago* (last edited 8 hours ago)

Eternal September

Mine began in truth about eight years before that. BBS and tymnet nodes enabled by shit load of blue and black box phone calls. Just go look at the neat and orderly wiring in a blue box and know that mine was nothing like that. Mine looked like low rent spider web of components stuffed in a cigar box.

[-] yesman@lemmy.world 12 points 16 hours ago

Through no intervention or design, the market creates perverse incentives that only benefit a few. So the solution is to fiddle with the incentives?

Ya ever notice that "market reform" schemes always seem like negotiations with an angry god? Sometimes I think that ancient civilizations would be much better understood if we stopped referring to the "priest class" and started calling them economists.

[-] interdimensionalmeme@lemmy.ml 8 points 13 hours ago

My default position remains the same, kill god.

[-] cybersandwich@lemmy.world 184 points 1 day ago

Another way to encourage interoperability is to use the government to hold out a carrot in addition to the stick. Through government procurement laws, governments could require any company providing a product or service to the government to not interfere with interoperability. President Lincoln required standard tooling for bullets and rifles during the Civil War, so there’s a long history of requiring this already. If companies don’t want to play nice, they’ll lose out on some lucrative contracts, “but no one forces a tech company to do business with the federal government.”

That's actually a very interesting idea. This benefits the govt as much as anyone else too. It reduces switching costs for govt tech.

[-] circuscritic@lemmy.ca 3 points 10 hours ago* (last edited 10 hours ago)

DoD already started this with their Modular Open Systems Approach (MOSA).

And I agree, the government should use its power to force interoperable and open standards wherever possible and relevant.

load more comments (29 replies)
[-] MagnumDovetails@lemmy.world 105 points 1 day ago

I like Doctorow, and these point are valid. I just don’t see the American government doing anything to benefit the people, regardless of left or right orientation. Most Americans want abortion access and reasonable restrictions on gun sales; I can’t imagine any candidates, local or federal doing little more than making empty promises on these subjects. Even Obama care is a hugely compromised husk of reasonable healthcare for all, and you still have republicans clamoring to dismantle it.

I hate to be pessimistic, but I don’t think any American politician would take on this topic.

[-] Semi_Hemi_Demigod@lemmy.world 3 points 9 hours ago

I don’t think any American politician would take on this topic.

And if they did it would be clear they didn't have a clue what they were talking about.

[-] General_Effort@lemmy.world 10 points 13 hours ago

The FTC under Biden has begun to push back against tech monopolies.

[-] Semi_Hemi_Demigod@lemmy.world 5 points 10 hours ago

The Supreme Court overturning the Chevron doctrine could stop that pretty quick

[-] goferking0@lemmy.sdf.org 1 points 8 hours ago

And Harris will probably replace the ftc head actually trying to enforce anti trust because of lobbying.

Fucking citizens united

[-] Corgana@startrek.website 5 points 13 hours ago

What you've expressed is not pessimism it's cynicism.

[-] Hikermick@lemmy.world 4 points 13 hours ago* (last edited 13 hours ago)

Don't "both sides" this. It's the kind of thing people use to justify voting third party. Off the top of my head the Biden admin has been working to restore net neutrality and has an antitrust case against Ticketmaster and Live Nation

[-] MagnumDovetails@lemmy.world 1 points 1 hour ago

I didn’t both sides this. To clarify; I meant that if republicans brought forth policies to preserve personal privacy, or the democrats decide to bust up monopolistic companies- doesn’t matter which side tried to bring up any of these ideas; they would be so neutered by the time the ink dried the impact would be negligible.

I can see how you could take my comment as both sides-ing it. I haven’t seen either party do anything that impacts the quality of daily life (in a positive way) for myself, friends or family. The examples of abortion and gun control are just examples where the overwhelming majority of citizens want one thing, in very clear terms, and the government does absolutely nothing about it despite the wishes of the people.

I’m also clearly not advocating for any third party. If you take the very common knowledge that the government no longer works for the people and twist that into throwing away your vote on Kennedy or Nader your problems are larger than limited browser selection.

And how’s that antitrust case going? Where are we on net neutrality? Student loan forgiveness for like 10% of borrowers? Expanding Medicare? I only criticize democrats because that’s the party that’s supposed to do things for us. The American republicans are Christo- fascists who’ve long abandoned any pretense of constitutional law or responsibility for their country. Either way- we have crumbling infrastructure, hungry children, women dying because religious abortion restrictions, and lead pipes. And these shit bags can just send another $25 billion to kill more brown people in the Middle East.

So forgive me if I doubt they’ll take the time to learn what http means or even consider something that doesn’t have a wealthy donor behind it.

load more comments (2 replies)
load more comments
view more: next ›
this post was submitted on 03 Oct 2024
490 points (98.0% liked)

Technology

58437 readers
5788 users here now

This is a most excellent place for technology news and articles.

Our Rules

1. Follow the lemmy.world rules.
  2. Only tech related content.
  3. Be excellent to each another!
  4. Mod approved content bots can post up to 10 articles per day.
  5. Threads asking for personal tech support may be deleted.
  6. Politics threads may be removed.
  7. No memes allowed as posts, OK to post as comments.
  8. Only approved bots from the list below, to ask if your bot can be added please contact us.
  9. Check for duplicates before posting, duplicates may be removed

Approved Bots

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS