you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] MagnumDovetails@lemmy.world 105 points 1 day ago

I like Doctorow, and these point are valid. I just don’t see the American government doing anything to benefit the people, regardless of left or right orientation. Most Americans want abortion access and reasonable restrictions on gun sales; I can’t imagine any candidates, local or federal doing little more than making empty promises on these subjects. Even Obama care is a hugely compromised husk of reasonable healthcare for all, and you still have republicans clamoring to dismantle it.

I hate to be pessimistic, but I don’t think any American politician would take on this topic.

[-] Semi_Hemi_Demigod@lemmy.world 3 points 9 hours ago

I don’t think any American politician would take on this topic.

And if they did it would be clear they didn't have a clue what they were talking about.

[-] General_Effort@lemmy.world 10 points 13 hours ago

The FTC under Biden has begun to push back against tech monopolies.

[-] Semi_Hemi_Demigod@lemmy.world 5 points 10 hours ago

The Supreme Court overturning the Chevron doctrine could stop that pretty quick

[-] goferking0@lemmy.sdf.org 1 points 8 hours ago

And Harris will probably replace the ftc head actually trying to enforce anti trust because of lobbying.

Fucking citizens united

[-] Corgana@startrek.website 5 points 13 hours ago

What you've expressed is not pessimism it's cynicism.

[-] Hikermick@lemmy.world 4 points 13 hours ago* (last edited 13 hours ago)

Don't "both sides" this. It's the kind of thing people use to justify voting third party. Off the top of my head the Biden admin has been working to restore net neutrality and has an antitrust case against Ticketmaster and Live Nation

[-] MagnumDovetails@lemmy.world 1 points 1 hour ago

I didn’t both sides this. To clarify; I meant that if republicans brought forth policies to preserve personal privacy, or the democrats decide to bust up monopolistic companies- doesn’t matter which side tried to bring up any of these ideas; they would be so neutered by the time the ink dried the impact would be negligible.

I can see how you could take my comment as both sides-ing it. I haven’t seen either party do anything that impacts the quality of daily life (in a positive way) for myself, friends or family. The examples of abortion and gun control are just examples where the overwhelming majority of citizens want one thing, in very clear terms, and the government does absolutely nothing about it despite the wishes of the people.

I’m also clearly not advocating for any third party. If you take the very common knowledge that the government no longer works for the people and twist that into throwing away your vote on Kennedy or Nader your problems are larger than limited browser selection.

And how’s that antitrust case going? Where are we on net neutrality? Student loan forgiveness for like 10% of borrowers? Expanding Medicare? I only criticize democrats because that’s the party that’s supposed to do things for us. The American republicans are Christo- fascists who’ve long abandoned any pretense of constitutional law or responsibility for their country. Either way- we have crumbling infrastructure, hungry children, women dying because religious abortion restrictions, and lead pipes. And these shit bags can just send another $25 billion to kill more brown people in the Middle East.

So forgive me if I doubt they’ll take the time to learn what http means or even consider something that doesn’t have a wealthy donor behind it.

[-] eldavi@lemmy.ml 1 points 14 hours ago* (last edited 14 hours ago)

I hate to be pessimistic, but I don’t think any American politician would take on this topic.

it's only pessimism if it's not true and there are plenty of demonstrably true public examples to guarantee that this isn't pessimism; it's reality that sounds like pessimism.

[-] sunzu2@thebrainbin.org 22 points 1 day ago

I don’t think any American politician would take on this topic.

That's the feature

this post was submitted on 03 Oct 2024
490 points (98.0% liked)

Technology

58437 readers
5788 users here now

This is a most excellent place for technology news and articles.

Our Rules

1. Follow the lemmy.world rules.
  2. Only tech related content.
  3. Be excellent to each another!
  4. Mod approved content bots can post up to 10 articles per day.
  5. Threads asking for personal tech support may be deleted.
  6. Politics threads may be removed.
  7. No memes allowed as posts, OK to post as comments.
  8. Only approved bots from the list below, to ask if your bot can be added please contact us.
  9. Check for duplicates before posting, duplicates may be removed

Approved Bots

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS