top 50 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] gravitas_deficiency@sh.itjust.works 13 points 14 hours ago

PSA: before the advent of organized labor, workers would often negotiate with tactics such as “be fair to us, or we’ll break your kneecaps and burn your fucking factory down”.

[-] mogranja@lemmy.world 8 points 12 hours ago

And then the factory owners got organized, got the police unionized, and we can't do this anymore.

There are still more of us than there are of them

[-] HawlSera@lemm.ee 5 points 13 hours ago

Meanwhile, at my workplace, we had to evacuate over the possibility of roads flooding in a tropical storm.

I thought this kind of nonsense was a thing of the past.

[-] Zip2@feddit.uk 4 points 16 hours ago

Do employers not have a duty of care to their employees over there?

Or the word “twice”?

[-] Kalysta@lemm.ee 38 points 1 day ago

I hope the management gets wrongful death suits launched against them

[-] prole@sh.itjust.works 15 points 1 day ago

Civil suits? They belong in prison.

[-] Kalysta@lemm.ee 11 points 1 day ago

Yeah but they’ll hide behind their corporation so there’s no “person” to throw in prison.

Corporations aren’t people no matter what the supreme court says

[-] Phoenicianpirate@lemm.ee 14 points 1 day ago

Didn't the triangle waistshirt fire happen because the employers were fucking assholes and locked the fire escapes? This is like that, but with water instead of fire.

[-] Ultraviolet@lemmy.world 70 points 2 days ago

Charge the manager with a separate count of murder for every employee that died due to their orders.

[-] ByteOnBikes@slrpnk.net 37 points 1 day ago

In old Japan, they would have made a bunch of management chop their finger off or commit seppuku.

Im not suggesting that. I'm just saying.

[-] GuyDudeman@lemmy.world 27 points 1 day ago

I’m suggesting it.

[-] Delphia@lemmy.world 31 points 1 day ago

Murder wouldnt stick, have to prove intent.

Negligent Homicide or Criminal Negligence on the other hand...

load more comments (5 replies)
[-] Mouselemming@sh.itjust.works 136 points 2 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago)

Evacuation Warnings should carry a legal responsibility to close all nonessential businesses until the immediate crisis is over.

Honestly, even the Waffle House manager should hand over the keys to the Fire Chief. Those guys know how to cook, and clean up after themselves, should the need arise.

[-] Fosheze@lemmy.world 90 points 2 days ago

If I learned anything durring covid it's that basically every business is "essential".

[-] ByteOnBikes@slrpnk.net 11 points 1 day ago

Yep.

Watching my 19yo niece wake up every morning to go work at the breakfast restaurant during the pandemic because she was essential.

My 60yo mom waking up to work at the pastries factory with hundreds of other people during the pandemic because she was essential.

[-] DJDarren@thelemmy.club 42 points 2 days ago

Yep. Company I work for didn’t miss a day of work because our boss had the HR manager make up a certificate for us to all put in our cars telling the police that we were considered ‘essential’.

I don’t think we are, but hey ho.

load more comments (4 replies)
[-] Gork@lemm.ee 202 points 2 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago)

Archive link to the story. There should be some consequences to the management who didn't allow them to leave when the flash flood warning was issued.

[-] ThePantser@lemmy.world 137 points 2 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago)

There will be about the same consequence as the Amazon warehouse that wouldn't let their employees leave during a tornado. Nothing.

[-] thefartographer@lemm.ee 106 points 2 days ago

There absolutely were consequences. A longer-than-it-should-have-taken investigation was done from which they discovered that killing your employees is very naughty and were told that they shouldn't do that anymore. In return, Amazon made a very sincere "whoopsie-doodle 👉👈, I sowwy. But we didn't directly kill these production assets, so no harm no foul."

load more comments (2 replies)
[-] Wogi@lemmy.world 82 points 2 days ago

There should be some consequences to the management who ~~didn't allow them to leave~~ didn't send them the fuck home immediately.

I work in a factory that sits on a flood plane. It's happened more than once that by the time a decision is made to cut people loose, it's already difficult to leave the area. Often by the time a flash flood warning is issued there are only a few minutes of clear roadway left.

It's entirely possible that a similar situation happened here, that the safest place for those people to be was in that building, that there was no way out and they would have been swept down stream regardless.even if that's the case, this company should be held liable for sitting on their hands and keeping people at work through a storm where the risk of flooding was so great. That decision should have been made much sooner. If there was a job to come back to you can always post them for a Saturday and wouldn't have to pay overtime until they actually hit 40 hours.

I'm so fucking fed up with the false urgency in these places. This company made high density plastic parts. Literally nothing they were making is life or death. Nothing they were making couldn't wait another day. No customers were going to bail because the factory they needed their parts from got hit by a fucking hurricane.

But everyone, every fucking person in leadership, is constantly pressured to squeeze out more units, more production. Keep people working as long as possible, because every second they're not making a product is a second the company is losing money. And because now every fucking company has jumped on to the lean manufacturing model, they are constantly, perpetually, chronicly behind. The second an order comes in it's already too late and we need those units NOW. no lead time, no back orders. So stay at your machine because the boss man needs another Lexus.

Fucking burn it down

load more comments (3 replies)
[-] celsiustimeline@lemmy.dbzer0.com 88 points 2 days ago

Sorry boss. I don't die for nobody. Oh you want to fire me? I'm sure the Department of Labor and OSHA would love to hear about how you forced us to stay in a dangerous environment under threat of termination. I'm sure that'll end super swell for you.

[-] dylanmorgan@slrpnk.net 50 points 2 days ago

Sadly, it might end just fine for the boss. The employee would be better off going to the press first.

Not arguing, but how? How would this not be a slam dunk for a labor law lawyer? The law is pretty clear on prohibiting threats of termination in the face of danger.

load more comments (1 replies)
load more comments (11 replies)
[-] ech@lemm.ee 95 points 2 days ago

We really need to break our conditioning that employment is the highest priority in our lives. That employers can dictate whether we take live saving action depending on how many pennies it'll cost them.

And this isn't to victim blame. What happened to these people is a travesty and the company holds the blame for it, 100%. It's more to point out that we're the only ones that can take action on this. Nobody (certainly not corps) is going to break this mindset or norm on our behalf. Look out for yourself and your peers. You're more important then your employer's bottom line.

load more comments (5 replies)
[-] chiliedogg@lemmy.world 40 points 2 days ago

I worked at a major destination-store focused on fishing and hunting products.

We had a hurricane hitting and the manager on duty made it clear that anyone going home to help out their families would be fired. Then when he got the call that water was rising near his house, he took off.

I've never hated a manager more than in that moment. When I was in management later, I made sure that I took all the shitty holiday shifts so my staff didn't have to work until 10pm on Christmas Eve and then be back in the building changing prices for the after-Christmas sale at 2am on the 26th.

load more comments (2 replies)
[-] bitwolf@lemmy.one 42 points 2 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago)

Man if it's a state of emergency let the mgr sink with the ship.

It so sad, they probably complied because they needed their jobs.

[-] Etterra@lemmy.world 28 points 2 days ago

Well on the bright side at least now they don't? I hope their families sue the shit out of the company and the manager.

[-] teft@lemmy.world 111 points 2 days ago

I do not understand the mentality. Companies do not care for your well-being. Don't die for them just because your manager is an idiot that says "stay put".

[-] treadful@lemmy.zip 86 points 2 days ago

We have the hindsight with full knowledge of the risk they were taking. I'd bet they only thought they were risking their next paycheck, not their lives.

load more comments (6 replies)
load more comments (13 replies)
[-] 5in1k@lemm.ee 69 points 2 days ago

I know they were scared to lose their livelihoods but there’s no way my job could have that level of control over me. ” Sorry fuckfaces but biblical stuff is happening outside, I’m out”

load more comments (16 replies)
[-] todd_bonzalez@lemm.ee 31 points 2 days ago

Wait till you read Impact Plastics' public statement...

[-] HootinNHollerin@lemmy.world 43 points 2 days ago

So they were only dismissed when the plant lost power and the workers were of no use to the company

[-] hydrospanner@lemmy.world 43 points 1 day ago

And very literally after it was too late to safely leave.

Which means, by definition, they were not dismissed while they could safely leave.

[-] barsquid@lemmy.world 29 points 1 day ago

"After the parking lot filled with water and the power went out, they were dismissed. For some reason they hung around??? It's peculiar that they chose to stay in a building after they were dismissed into the floodwaters."

[-] PriorityMotif@lemmy.world 15 points 1 day ago

The company location

[-] xyguy@startrek.website 84 points 2 days ago

113 Years after the Triangle Shirtwaist factory fire and not enough has changed for the better.

load more comments (3 replies)
[-] finitebanjo@lemmy.world 20 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

The worst part is the Trump appointed SCOTUS basically made this legal to do.

EDIT: This comment of mine was misleading and unfair. Neil Gorsuch was not on the SCOTUS when he decided a truck driver forfeit his job without means of legal recourse by choosing to abandon his trailer and prevent death from Hypothermia.

[-] queermunist@lemmy.ml 65 points 2 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago)

Publish the managers' names.

load more comments (6 replies)
[-] HotsauceHurricane@lemmy.one 39 points 2 days ago
load more comments (4 replies)
load more comments
view more: next ›
this post was submitted on 01 Oct 2024
1007 points (99.5% liked)

A Boring Dystopia

9596 readers
1551 users here now

Pictures, Videos, Articles showing just how boring it is to live in a dystopic society, or with signs of a dystopic society.

Rules (Subject to Change)

--Be a Decent Human Being

--Posting news articles: include the source name and exact title from article in your post title

--Posts must have something to do with the topic

--Zero tolerance for Racism/Sexism/Ableism/etc.

--No NSFW content

--Abide by the rules of lemmy.world

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS