Final (?) Debate thread before the election in 35 days.

Debate begins at 9 PM Eastern, 6 PM Pacific and runs 90 minutes.

Vice Presidential debates are always tricky since nobody has voted for Vice President in living memory.

Expect Vance to attack Walz on his military service.

Expect Walz to attack Vance on the whole "immigrants eating cats and dogs" thing.

Expect Vance to attack Walz on being an assistant coach, at best.

Expect Walz to roll out "Weird!" at least once.

CBS has announced the burden of fact checking will be on the candidates themselves.

https://apnews.com/article/cbs-debate-vice-president-fact-check-7a3b31c98ab092dd44915df57a359d10

How to watch here:

https://apnews.com/article/cbs-debate-vice-president-fact-check-7a3b31c98ab092dd44915df57a359d10

"How can you watch the VP debate on cable? 

CBS will air debate coverage starting at 8 p.m. ET on CBS broadcast stations and affiliates. Find your local station here.

How can you stream the VP debate without cable? 

The debate can be streamed on the free CBS News app on your connected TV or smartphone, on Paramount+, and all platforms where CBS News 24/7 is available, including CBSNews.com and YouTube. 

Debate coverage on CBS News 24/7 begins at 4 p.m. ET."

top 50 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] Floon@lemmy.ml 3 points 44 minutes ago

GOP was setting the bar low for Vance before the debate, and he easily cleared it, so with low expectations, the consensus will be that he was fantastic. Walz was no surprise, he was fine, so I think folks are going to call it a slight Vance win. It won't matter, neither got hit hard enough, it won't move anything.

[-] FlyingSquid@lemmy.world 50 points 3 hours ago

Walz: "Well I don't run Facebook and Trump lost."

[-] N0body@lemmy.dbzer0.com 36 points 3 hours ago

I will say that I worry about Vance as a candidate when he’s no longer directly tied to Trump and his madness. He’s the face of non-truth leading to fascism.

[-] dragontamer@lemmy.world 1 points 44 minutes ago

JD Vance overperformed here.

JD Vance is really setting himself up to be the future of the post-Trump Republican party.

load more comments (1 replies)
[-] FlyingSquid@lemmy.world 39 points 3 hours ago

"Did he lose the 2020 election?"

"OH YEAH?!?! Well did Kamala Harris censor people?"

[-] dragontamer@lemmy.world 2 points 50 minutes ago

The "meta" debate is incredible here.

This literally happened right after JD Vance promised to shake hands after the election. It proves JD Vance is a fucking snake who shouldn't be trusted.

Its a self-own of colossal magnitude. I fear the full effects of which are lost upon too many as it happened in the last minutes of the debate, so too many Americans had mentally tuned out by then.

[-] HubertManne@moist.catsweat.com 35 points 3 hours ago

vance won't answer if trump lost the 2020 election. oh its the lauph into cry now. man he is so weasily.

[-] LillyPip@lemmy.ca 47 points 4 hours ago

Ha, fuck you. My life was destroyed by disability, and the only drug that was helping me went from $250 a month to $3000 a month between 2015 to 2017. Everything got worse, to the point I can’t even afford to live.

This especially pisses me off.

Fuck you Vance and fuck everything you just said. It’s all lies.

[-] FlyingSquid@lemmy.world 26 points 3 hours ago

"She hasn't accomplished what she set out to do in three years" is kind of weird for the running mate of the guy who accomplished fuck all in terms of his campaign promises for four.

[-] Rentlar@lemmy.ca 17 points 3 hours ago

To Vance's credit, he's doing a monumental amount of damage control and sanewashing for Donald Trump and is doing a decent job at it. Yes Vance is lying through his teeth with each answer but he is markedly better at keeping his cool compared to the former Narcissist-in-Chief against VP Harris. It's a position Walz wouldn't envy. So overall I think this is within the best range of events Vance could expect.

They both did well at acknowledging each other and keeping this like a somewhat normal debate, can you imagine. That said, if any viewer can hold a thought without focusing solely on whatever deflection each candidate is doing, Walz is giving better answers, and Vance is putting way more false equivalencies in.

Walz is doing very well with his answers, he's not as calculated and rehearsed as Harris, and you know having a heart makes you mess up more than the recently changed telephone options menu, but he is doing a fantastically better job at connecting with voters than Vance did. Walz's jabs are quick and easily missed ("Wharton") but even with apolitical people, if they understand Walz's language then they'll get when he is jabbing at Vance.

Obviously I was hoping Vance would fold up into a chair and was disappointed for that to not happen. More than that though is that I'm crossing my fingers the news cycle doesn't begin pretending it's a normal election cycle just because the VP candidates could actually look each other in the eye for a night. Idk, give it 48hours and Trump will be starved enough of attention to break the spell and make people glare at him again in disgust.

Yep, to put it succinctly, Vance won on superficial polish, and Walz won on substance, meaning both won on the most important part to each of their bases.

[-] WoahWoah@lemmy.world 20 points 3 hours ago

It just occurred to be that Vance is running for president not VP. I don't think he thinks Trump will get through his term if elected.

[-] ProtecyaTec@lemmy.world 2 points 1 hour ago* (last edited 1 hour ago)

You're absolutely right. He pulled off quite the balancing act though, just in case.

I think escaping the shadow of Trump might be tricky though, but 4+ years is a long time.

[-] Podunk@lemmy.world 1 points 1 hour ago

People dont remember trump as president from under 4 years ago and are saying things whent great when he was in power.. It absolutely is a long time.

[-] WoahWoah@lemmy.world 18 points 3 hours ago

Listening to these idiotic "uncommitted voters" in the focus group are the absolute worse. It's a collection of people that love the attention of being an indecisive moron.

[-] KnitWit@lemmy.world 24 points 3 hours ago

Vance after the Debate

[-] N0body@lemmy.dbzer0.com 20 points 3 hours ago

Walz drove it home on the threat to democracy, and Vance had nothing to respond.

[-] WoahWoah@lemmy.world 37 points 4 hours ago

It's crazy how... like. Normal? This debate is. I mean they obviously disagree on stuff, but there's at least a baseline of respect here so far.

[-] newthrowaway20@lemmy.world 30 points 4 hours ago

Its like Trump is the problem lol.

load more comments (4 replies)
load more comments (3 replies)
[-] FlyingSquid@lemmy.world 34 points 4 hours ago

"Under Kamala Harris' leadership."

I wish Walz would say that JOE BIDEN IS THE FUCKING PRESIDENT.

[-] WoahWoah@lemmy.world 18 points 3 hours ago

Walz should have just called it out right there: your running mate is a reality denying narcissist, and you're his lapdog. You won't say he lost because you're scared daddy will yell at you if you do.

[-] wjrii@lemmy.world 15 points 3 hours ago* (last edited 3 hours ago)

I did it. I opened a private tab and checked Truth Social. Trump is obsessed with Walz misspeaking on school shooters. He also screamed in all caps that he would veto a national abortion ban. Also his usual weird fixation with the moderators’ ratings in other shows, and still asserting that anyone who said he lost in 2020 is lying.

[-] Mobiledecay@lemmy.world 2 points 50 minutes ago

Only losers complain about moderators. 🤔

[-] anon6789@lemmy.world 11 points 3 hours ago

Be glad you got to read it before Kamala could censor him! 🙄

[-] negativenull@lemmy.world 19 points 3 hours ago

Who is banning books right now JD?!?

load more comments (5 replies)
[-] bcgm3@lemmy.world 19 points 3 hours ago

Vance: I did wanna answer your question, because you did ask it...

Narrator: He did not answer her question.

[-] monkeyslikebananas2@lemmy.world 16 points 3 hours ago

Wait there’s more? I am going to bed.

[-] FlyingSquid@lemmy.world 19 points 3 hours ago

The pregnant pause from the moderator followed by her mystified question made me laugh out loud.

[-] socsa@piefed.social 15 points 3 hours ago

Damn I was a bit worried that we weren't going to get the decisive soundbite, but all anyone is going to talk about tomorrow is going to be the "did Donald Trump lose?" mic drop. Absolutely savage.

[-] drunkpostdisaster@lemmy.world 17 points 3 hours ago

lol Vance did not want to answer that elector question.

[-] kescusay@lemmy.world 22 points 4 hours ago

A little more than an hour in...

Vance has been exactly as polished as expected, other than a slightly rough start coming off as robotic. He's managed a few genuinely human-seeming moments, too, especially upon learning that one of Walz's kids witnessed a shooting. But he's been lying nearly constantly.

Walz isn't as polished, but he's been doing much better in that department than I would have expected, while still coming off as very nice and genuine. He's had a couple of flubs, but none of them were debate killers, while he's gotten in far more actual hits than Vance, by far. Like, it's not even close.

There's another thing: Vance is legitimately boring to listen to. I didn't realize this before, but his voice could be used as a sleep aid.

I'm biased. I'll own that. So take from this what you will: I think Walz is winning. It's close, but I think he's coming off as more honest and more real, while Vance is coming off as dishonest and plastic.

load more comments (2 replies)
[-] lennybird@lemmy.world 14 points 3 hours ago

"from AOC to Dick Cheney to Taylor Swift."

Taylor Swift confirmed more right-wing than Cheney!1!

[-] ProtecyaTec@lemmy.world 2 points 1 hour ago

Dick Cheney: The Optimist. I get his point but following it with: ...they're some of the most optimistic people, just made me lol.

[-] FlyingSquid@lemmy.world 21 points 4 hours ago

Vance literally said nothing about Trump's healthcare plan. They still have nothing.

[-] FlyingSquid@lemmy.world 13 points 3 hours ago

Electric bills are what he thinks Americans are worried about right now? Really?

[-] NineMileTower@lemmy.world 29 points 4 hours ago

"Should we force catholic hospitals to do abortions?"

No. Because there shouldn't be catholic hospitals.

[-] N0body@lemmy.dbzer0.com 25 points 4 hours ago

Vance lies like he breathes, but he isn’t mentally addled like Trump. He’s a threat. A long term threat.

[-] N0body@lemmy.dbzer0.com 19 points 4 hours ago

The housing shortage is caused by illegal immigrants and not drilling for oil? I have no words.

[-] LillyPip@lemmy.ca 15 points 4 hours ago

No, you dick. Walz was right and everything you said wasn’t true. Everything got worse under trump, and I have fucking receipts.

[-] Geek_King@lemmy.world 17 points 4 hours ago

What a crazy attack from Vance, why isn't the Vice President fixing the housing crisis? Wasn't Trump President and didn't fix real issues with in his purview.

[-] FlyingSquid@lemmy.world 9 points 3 hours ago* (last edited 3 hours ago)

PBS pundits are complaining that they were too nice to each other and agreed with each other too much. Sigh.

[-] ResoluteCatnap@lemmy.ml 13 points 3 hours ago* (last edited 3 hours ago)

Jd vance: the biggest threat to democracy is censorship

Fucking wild take

[-] FlyingSquid@lemmy.world 13 points 3 hours ago

"I don't really want to talk about the 2020 election, so Google sucks and also Tulsi Gabbard and RFK, Jr. likes me."

[-] monkeyslikebananas2@lemmy.world 22 points 4 hours ago

“Why won’t you rebut my lies?”

“They aren’t true”

“Ok but like why won’t you explain how?”

[-] KnitWit@lemmy.world 22 points 4 hours ago* (last edited 4 hours ago)

Vance digging deep into the reddit school of debate. ‘Explain to me how my lie is untrue please. I’ll derail all other talk until then.’

load more comments
view more: next ›
this post was submitted on 01 Oct 2024
88 points (96.8% liked)

politics

18956 readers
3728 users here now

Welcome to the discussion of US Politics!

Rules:

1. Post only links to articles, Title must fairly describe link contents. If your title differs from the site’s, it should only be to add context or be more descriptive. Do not post entire articles in the body or in the comments.
  2. Articles must be relevant to politics. Links must be to quality and original content. Articles should be worth reading. Clickbait, stub articles, and rehosted or stolen content are not allowed. Check your source for Reliability and Bias here.
  3. Be civil, No violations of TOS. It’s OK to say the subject of an article is behaving like a (pejorative, pejorative). It’s NOT OK to say another USER is (pejorative). Strong language is fine, just not directed at other members. Engage in good-faith and with respect! This includes accusing another user of being a bot or paid actor. Trolling is uncivil and is grounds for removal and/or a community ban.
  4. No memes, trolling, or low-effort comments. Reposts, misinformation, off-topic, trolling, or offensive.
  5. Vote based on comment quality, not agreement. This community aims to foster discussion; please reward people for putting effort into articulating their viewpoint, even if you disagree with it.
  6. No hate speech, slurs, celebrating death, advocating violence, or abusive language. This will result in a ban. Usernames containing racist, or inappropriate slurs will be banned without warning

We ask that the users report any comment or post that violate the rules, to use critical thinking when reading, posting or commenting. Users that post off-topic spam, advocate violence, have multiple comments or posts removed, weaponize reports or violate the code of conduct will be banned.

All posts and comments will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. This means that some content that violates the rules may be allowed, while other content that does not violate the rules may be removed. The moderators retain the right to remove any content and ban users.

That's all the rules!

Civic Links

Register To Vote

Citizenship Resource Center

Congressional Awards Program

Federal Government Agencies

Library of Congress Legislative Resources

The White House

U.S. House of Representatives

U.S. Senate

Partnered Communities:

News