"Fidelity is currently valuing X at about $9.4 billion"

I found this funny.

top 50 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] reksas@sopuli.xyz 3 points 1 hour ago

its worth comes from being able to influence world politics. Does he seem like someone who cares or needs money?

[-] Sam_Bass@lemmy.world 4 points 2 hours ago

he himself is worth less than that at least morally

[-] Kalysta@lemm.ee 9 points 4 hours ago

And may it continue to crash and burn. It’s just 4 chan at this point.

[-] kamen@lemmy.world 3 points 3 hours ago

I don't have the whole context so I might be missing some things, but the whole thing looks to me like "look at how much money I have to burn and how much I don't care".

[-] AHemlocksLie@lemmy.zip 7 points 2 hours ago

He didn't even want to buy Twitter, just manipulate the stock price by talking about buying it. Dumbass signed too much paperwork and waived too many rights, though, and found himself obligated to buy it anyway. Pretty sure he tried to fight it and lost.

So now he's trying to not burn all his money, but he's fucking terrible at it, so he's just becoming a laughing stock.

[-] enleeten 1 points 2 hours ago

Except a lot of the investor capital wasn't his lol

[-] fosho@lemmy.ca 12 points 8 hours ago

same as my GameStop shares

[-] uriel238@lemmy.blahaj.zone 55 points 14 hours ago

We knew this was going to happen before he made the purchase.

Everyone said, the best way for Elon to keep his money was to change very little, or even take a hands-off approach.

Masnick suggested this would happen

It was that and so much worse. Moral of the story: Running a huge social media service is hard. Maybe don't assume that because you're a billionaire you're the best at doing stuff.

[-] scarabic@lemmy.world 9 points 6 hours ago

I mean the people at Twitter were very happy to sell it off. Remember how they actually sued to force him to go through with the deal and succeeded in stopping him from backing out?

Even if he’d managed it as well as the prior stewards, it was always a losing business.

[-] JackbyDev@programming.dev 3 points 2 hours ago

If the price offered is actually a good price then I think they might have some obligation to shareholders to pursue it. (Many of the people making that decision likely also being shareholders.) Like if someone offered you more than what your stuff is worth but tried to changed their mind, wouldn't you pursue that? I don't think that's any sort of indicator that they thought it was a sinking ship. It's just in their best interest to take a good deal when they get one.

[-] mynameisigglepiggle@lemmy.world 18 points 12 hours ago

Meanwhile he is on track to become the world's first trillionaire

I think the purchase was more about welding power than any financial gain

[-] Ilovethebomb@lemm.ee 1 points 3 hours ago

Hasn't his wealth kinda flatlined lately though? X is doing terribly, Tesla is struggling a bit, I think SpaceX is at least doing well.

I don't think he's going to be a trillionaire any time soon.

[-] Another_earthling@lemmy.world 1 points 4 hours ago

Would you not agree that he has a tool of influence with X? I see that as the main aspect of why you'd still buy twitter, even though he knew he wouldn't earn money with that.

[-] dabaldeagul@feddit.nl 16 points 11 hours ago

He tried to back out, I don't think any of this was about anything. He's just a dick with a weird sense of humor.

[-] KingThrillgore@lemmy.ml 4 points 8 hours ago

First step to becoming a billionaire: start with 1 trillion

load more comments (5 replies)
[-] zarkanian@sh.itjust.works 23 points 15 hours ago

Didn't he pay too much for it in the first place?

[-] pyre@lemmy.world 2 points 2 hours ago

paying too much is when you buy a ubisoft game. what he did is officially the worst deal since the financial crisis.

[-] SynopsisTantilize@lemm.ee 8 points 12 hours ago

Yea. He made a baseless offer before investigating. And the. Got called on it.

[-] eestileib@sh.itjust.works 120 points 19 hours ago

Musk did not buy this as an investment. He bought it to flip elections and manipulate public opinion.

Tesla is writing him a check that will cover the entire purchase price, and Saudi Arabia and Russia will pay the operating costs.

Active users are what matters; if they lost 75% of their users then I'm paying attention.

[-] scarabic@lemmy.world 5 points 6 hours ago

I think it’s even pettier than that. He’s the loud guy on the forum who literally bought the site so he could be admin.

[-] deathbird@mander.xyz 16 points 9 hours ago

I think you're giving the guy too much credit. Sometimes things are as they seen. He just didn't like the moderation scheme on Twitter, made a gesture buying it, fumbled a little bit and overbid, then after having been forced to acquire it tried to turn it into something closer to what he wanted it to be.

[-] Wirlocke@lemmy.blahaj.zone 43 points 18 hours ago* (last edited 18 hours ago)

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure he gave an outlandish bid for Twitter to manipulate it's stock prices when he pulled put, but he was sued into following through.

I don't think he ever wanted to buy it, or at least he wanted to crash it's value to come back and buy it on the cheap.

load more comments (4 replies)
[-] cultsuperstar@lemmy.world 23 points 18 hours ago

Aren't 75% of the users Russian bots? Lol

load more comments (3 replies)
[-] index@sh.itjust.works 26 points 17 hours ago

Posts about value are ads. Stop give exposure to this guy or his companies

[-] Rhoeri@lemmy.world 23 points 17 hours ago

Let’s everyone point and laugh. It humbles people like him, right?

load more comments (4 replies)
[-] apfelwoiSchoppen@lemmy.world 248 points 1 day ago

Honestly terrifying that they still think it is worth that much.

load more comments (17 replies)
[-] seaQueue@lemmy.world 11 points 15 hours ago

That's a good start, now keep going

[-] istoff@lemmy.world 38 points 20 hours ago

If they influence the election to their desired outcome, then the value won't matter. The damage will have been done.

load more comments (6 replies)
[-] finitebanjo@lemmy.world 22 points 18 hours ago

I doubt anybody would buy it for a tenth, tbh.

load more comments (7 replies)
[-] ShareMySims@sh.itjust.works 158 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

And yet, he's still one of the what, 5 richest people on the planet?

He doesn't give a shit, and neither should you (as nice as the schadenfreude might feel). He got something worth more to him than plain old money - an established propaganda platform, which he is using as he intended - to war monger and otherwise interfere in politics to ensure fascism progresses as fast as he can help it. The "dent" (more like a surface scratch) it put in his finances is completely invisible and irrelevant to him.

And it should be to you, too.

He is NEVER going to end up without means or power, not even fucking close, unless we take them from him, and abolish the system that encouraged and enabled him to amass them in the first place.

[-] scarabic@lemmy.world 0 points 6 hours ago

PayPal and Tesla and SpaceX been pretty big successes. But Twitter is a real fuckup for him. It shows that his judgment and temperament and perfect boy genius mystique have all jumped the shark in a big way.

[-] ShareMySims@sh.itjust.works 1 points 2 hours ago

But Twitter is a real fuckup for him

Except it clearly fucking isn't, it's doing exactly what he bought it for, including convincing people like you to feel sympathy for him and his "loss", which is equal parts hilarious and really fucking sad. You're looking at his life from the point of view of a poor person, something he never was and never will be, yet he's still so easily manipulated you in to feeling bad for him (and the billions he's lost, leaving him... still the motherfucking richest person on the planet), and even fucking (think you) relate to him and the idea that he can "fail" just like you can, using you as a living breathing mouthpiece to make his life easier. Not yours.

perfect boy genius mystique

I just threw up a little in my mouth, thanks.

load more comments (13 replies)
load more comments
view more: next ›
this post was submitted on 30 Sep 2024
912 points (96.9% liked)

Technology

58311 readers
5387 users here now

This is a most excellent place for technology news and articles.

Our Rules

1. Follow the lemmy.world rules.
  2. Only tech related content.
  3. Be excellent to each another!
  4. Mod approved content bots can post up to 10 articles per day.
  5. Threads asking for personal tech support may be deleted.
  6. Politics threads may be removed.
  7. No memes allowed as posts, OK to post as comments.
  8. Only approved bots from the list below, to ask if your bot can be added please contact us.
  9. Check for duplicates before posting, duplicates may be removed

Approved Bots

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS