top 50 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] Flocklesscrow@lemm.ee 61 points 2 days ago

Picked up the Bluray series off eBay. Physical media seems like the way to go, to really own anything

[-] MeatsOfRage@lemmy.world 7 points 2 days ago

... Ripped to a media server. It'll be a cold day in hell before I can be arsed to stand up and put media into a machine anymore.

load more comments (1 replies)
[-] cm0002@lemmy.world 22 points 2 days ago

Physical media seems like the way to go, to really own anything

That or sailing the digital sea, which ig you could consider a bunch of DRM-free files on a drive you own to still be "physical media"

load more comments (3 replies)
[-] MelodiousFunk@slrpnk.net 25 points 2 days ago

Same. Bummed that we'll probably never get remasters of DS9 and Voyager.

[-] negativenull@lemmy.world 19 points 2 days ago

There is a nice DS9 upscaling project that is very good (not as good as a proper remaster, but still impressive).

https://ds9redefined.wordpress.com/videos/

They only provide download instructions (sftp) via discord, unfortunately. (https://discord.gg/qTgXcG9T). It's very large (300+ GB for the series).

They are working on Voyager now.

[-] cm0002@lemmy.world 12 points 2 days ago

Iirc, the studio(s) likely wouldn't be able to do much better for Voyager as they didn't record Voyager onto film like the others. They cheaped out and recorded direct to VHS

[-] Malfeasant@lemm.ee 2 points 1 day ago

direct to VHS

No. Videotape, sure, but not VHS.

[-] dragonfucker@lemmy.nz 34 points 2 days ago
[-] Kolanaki@yiffit.net 28 points 2 days ago

Ew no. I might get some kind of disease.

[-] dragonfucker@lemmy.nz 13 points 2 days ago
[-] shneancy@lemmy.world 10 points 2 days ago
[-] JadenSmith@sh.itjust.works 10 points 2 days ago

Finally, someone else who knows of this very obscure community!

The artworks are wild.

[-] Kolanaki@yiffit.net 9 points 2 days ago

Now you're talkin' my language! 😎

load more comments (6 replies)
[-] vga@sopuli.xyz 12 points 2 days ago

Dunno what kind of economic model we'd need if we had star trek -level replication technology.

[-] normalexit@lemmy.world 17 points 2 days ago

We could just explore, try to learn new interesting things, and have campy holodeck adventures with Mark Twain.

I don't think the current rich people would approve. But screw'em if we have replicators

[-] nednobbins@lemm.ee 1 points 6 hours ago

That sounds cute until some rich asshole sets up his own anti-matter reactor to run their own holodecks with content and filters removed. I'm thinking he sets it up on a remote asteroid and invites his other rich asshole friends. Except he secretly records them and uses it to set up a blackmail network.

He'd probably have to have some weird alien name like, Kah-Epstein.

load more comments (2 replies)
[-] nednobbins@lemm.ee 7 points 1 day ago

We'd probably need a very similar model.

Replicators don't replaces services, just goods. Most people aren't willing to render services for free.

The replicators also use enormous amounts of energy. They're basically nukes in reverse. They "solve" this problem with anti-matter but the anti-matter reaction seems to require trilithium. And as we know from several episodes, trilithium is definitely not an unlimited resources.

The economy might not involve anyone hand-making widgets but there would be a lot of economics around acquiring, processing and distributing trilithium.

[-] normalexit@lemmy.world 6 points 1 day ago
[-] nednobbins@lemm.ee 2 points 23 hours ago

Well shoot. I hadn't even included the problem that latinum can't be replicated.

Post-scarcity society, the only currency would be good vibes my dude.

[-] Buddahriffic@lemmy.world 11 points 2 days ago

I always thought the "you wouldn't download a car" ads were based on an assumption that star trek replicator technology would be evil (with the public argument that it would put people out of jobs and the real reason being it would be harder to base a wealth-based hierarchy and system of middlemen on).

[-] Ultraviolet@lemmy.world 12 points 2 days ago

The original ad was "you wouldn't steal a car," literally claiming that downloading a movie is morally equivalent to carjacking.

[-] Duamerthrax@lemmy.world 4 points 2 days ago

From the people who brought us private sex islands, in both underage and cult varieties. Fucking hate Hollywood dictating morality to everyone else.

load more comments (1 replies)
[-] Aeri@lemmy.world 4 points 1 day ago

I'm wondering what the limiting factor would be in my day to day lives.

I want a burrito, easy, I want 10 burritos, still easy. 100? A bit concerning, but sure? Five, Hundred, burritos? Getting alarming

I tell the replicator to manufacture a billion burritos and society as we know it grinds to a halt.

[-] Stupidmanager@lemmy.world 4 points 1 day ago

I know where you’re going with this and it is 100% what our internet famous generations would do today. In the era of “will it smash”, we test “will it crash”, all for views. The key thing about this movie though, it was after war and we humans were tired of fighting for scraps. So one would hope we wouldn’t need to see if our replicator will make 100 burritos because “why do you need them?”.

[-] AlbinoPython@lemmy.world 8 points 2 days ago

At this rate, replicators will be in a subscription model.

[-] Stupidmanager@lemmy.world 3 points 1 day ago

Not if I invent them first. FREE SHIT FOR EVERYONE! I like chaos.

load more comments (2 replies)
[-] Ghostalmedia@lemmy.world 40 points 2 days ago

The federation is like living at your parent’s house. Things are free under their roof, but if you want to drink with Quark, you’re going to have to trade your star fleet allowance for latinum.

I like to imagine they've all got unlimited credit lines but they play along with the Ferengi to respect their culture. Their system might fall apart if they are forced to acknowledge it only works with artificial scarcity.

Definitely no social commentary there btw.

[-] ummthatguy@lemmy.world 32 points 2 days ago
[-] Revan343@lemmy.ca 19 points 2 days ago
[-] Clent@lemmy.world 9 points 2 days ago

Arrr, matey!

[-] FlyingSquid@lemmy.world 20 points 2 days ago

The real problem is Paramount+ won't accept any of my worthless gold.

[-] EmpathicVagrant@lemmy.world 9 points 2 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago)

Press it with latinum, hyu-mon.

[-] SidewaysHighways@lemmy.world 22 points 2 days ago

Does Paramount have ads?

#kodi_life

load more comments (7 replies)
[-] mynamesnotrick@lemmy.zip 19 points 2 days ago

Stremio + torrentio + real-debrid friends.

load more comments
view more: next ›
this post was submitted on 29 Sep 2024
822 points (97.6% liked)

TenForward: Where Every Vulcan Knows Your Name

3587 readers
679 users here now

/c/TenFoward: Your home-away-from-home for all things Star Trek!

Re-route power to the shields, emit a tachyon pulse through the deflector, and post all the nonsense you want. Within reason of course.

~ 1. No bigotry. This is a Star Trek community. Hating someone off of their race, culture, creed, sexuality, or identity is not remotely acceptable. Mistakes can happen but do your best to respect others.

~ 2. Keep it civil. Disagreements will happen both on lore and preferences. That's okay! Just don't let it make you forget that the person you are talking to is also a person.

~ 3. Use spoiler tags. This applies to any episodes that have dropped within 3 months prior of your posting. After that it's free game.

~ 4. Keep it Trek related. This one is kind of a gimme but keep as on topic as possible.

~ 5. Keep posts to a limit. We all love Star Trek stuff but 3-4 posts in an hour is plenty enough.

~ 6. Try to not repost. Mistakes happen, we get it! But try to not repost anything from within the past 1-2 months.

~ 7. No General AI Art. Posts of simple AI art do not 'inspire jamaharon' and fuck over our artist friends.

Fun will now commence.

Sister Communities:

!startrek@lemmy.world

!memes@lemmy.world

!tumblr@lemmy.world

!lemmyshitpost@lemmy.world

Want your community to be added to the sidebar? Just ask one of our mods!

Honorary Badbitch:

@jawa21@startrek.website for realizing that the line used to be "want to be added to the sidebar?" and capitalized on it. Congratulations and welcome to the sidebar. Stamets is both ashamed and proud.

Creator Resources:

Looking for a Star Trek screencap? (TrekCore)

Looking for the right Star Trek typeface/font for your meme? (Thank you @kellyaster for putting this together!)

founded 8 months ago
MODERATORS