First class (lemmy.world)
top 50 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] Godric@lemmy.world 89 points 1 day ago

"The US government will evacuate US citizens who have been unable to book commercial transit..."

And "The US embassy is not evacuating US citizens at this time. There is a commercially available flight available..."

There's a word we Americans like to use for liars who stretch the truth to fit their narrative: Republicans. Be a shame if we had to change it.

[-] Potatisen@lemmy.world 29 points 1 day ago

Scary the amount of people on Lemmy who just didn't read what little text is there.

[-] Zeppo@sh.itjust.works 5 points 1 day ago

Well, this is posted by someone who seems to spend their entire lives jerking off about spreading negative shit about Biden, so makes sense

load more comments (17 replies)
[-] Ibaudia@lemmy.world 1 points 1 day ago

Commercial flights will all be fully booked for months at least. The only realistic way for most Americans in Lebanon will likely be evacuation.

[-] Maggoty@lemmy.world 1 points 1 day ago

Why aren't we evacuating people? It's great that you can read. But we want you to do the 2+2 too.

[-] Zeppo@sh.itjust.works 10 points 1 day ago

This interpretation makes no sense. They’re evacuating people from Israel, but not Lebanon. It has nothing to do with the ethnicity of the citizen specifically. It’s not as if a Lebanese American in Israel would be denied, which is what the stupid Twitter post and this post claim.

[-] SomethingBurger@jlai.lu 6 points 1 day ago

Israel is much safer than Lebanon, though. Lebanon isn't bombing Israel.

[-] _stranger_@lemmy.world 9 points 1 day ago

You can still buy a flight out of Lebanon, which seems to be what the messages are getting across.

If you're in Israel, it seems commercial flights are hard to come by, and the US will help you charter a ride home.

If you're in Lebanon, there's still commercial flights available and you should GTFO ASAP.

[-] Sheldybear@lemmy.world 1 points 1 day ago

Bro, about 9k rockets have been fired at Israel from Lebanon since 8 October... that is why there have been Israelis evacuated from the north for almost a year

[-] Maggoty@lemmy.world 2 points 1 day ago

That's the point. That's the whole ass point. Lebanon is getting the snot bombed out of it and Israel looks ready to invade. But we're not evacuating Americans.

The British have already told all British citizens to leave and have an evacuation force in Cyprus. But Biden is like, "fuck you, good luck!"

[-] pelespirit@sh.itjust.works 7 points 1 day ago

This seems like a troll baiting thread. I don't know enough to tell completely so I'm going to lock it.

[-] Potatisen@lemmy.world 40 points 2 days ago

Does it not say "those unable to book flights"?

[-] Rivalarrival@lemmy.today 18 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

My thoughts exactly. The right side says commercial flights are available and they will have to book those commercial flights. The left side says commercial flights are not available to all, and they will help those who can't book one.

[-] MisterScruffy@lemmy.ml 4 points 1 day ago

When it's white people: there's commercial flights available but some are unable to book (because tickets limited? Because those people are too poor? No idea) so we have to use gov funds to make sure no one is left behind

When it's "brown" people: commercial flights are available if you've got the cash, if not, go fuck yourself

[-] RootBeerGuy@discuss.tchncs.de 6 points 2 days ago

It certainly does. They could have added it where it is missing maybe, but potentially there are multiple flights available with maybe more capacity than needed?

[-] Maggoty@lemmy.world 2 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

For those missing the context which seems like the entire section right now, The US has already evacuated all families of US personnel and nonessential personnel. The only next step for the State Department is the Marines flying into Beirut in helicopters to evacuate remaining personnel.

This is when civilians are evacuated with the most efficiency and highest survival rate. It costs the US next to nothing, in it's multi trillion dollar budget, to fly a C-130 into Beirut everyday right now for any American who cannot afford a commercial ticket or cannot secure a commercial ticket.

The reason for this is both the bombing campaign and that Netanyahu has told Biden they are going in on the ground and they're ready to do so at any time. The fact that we have not issued an evacuation order to American citizens in Lebanon and are not providing evacuations now is straight up bullshit.

[-] Sundial@lemm.ee 2 points 1 day ago

Do you mind sharing where you learned that America is sending a flight to actually evacuate Lebanese-Americans? The articles I have read saying they are sending troops there on standby but are not actually evacuating anyone in Lebanon yet.

[-] Late2TheParty@lemmy.world 14 points 2 days ago

I think this is probably a dumb question, but I've never thought about it before and sure-as-shootin' don't know. The screenshot indicated one group of Americans is considered white and one is not. Is that a known perception? It's a total first-heard for me and I just... shit, it's never even crossed my mind to think about that.

TIA

[-] David_Eight@lemmy.world 24 points 2 days ago

Race in general is a social construct that changes to suite racists, like when Italians weren't considered white but now are. But, racists of today consider Israeli/Jewish people with white while Lebanese/Muslim people are non-white/brown.

[-] Maggoty@lemmy.world 3 points 1 day ago

Unless you're an actual neo Nazi, Jews have been accepted into the whiteness construct since the Holocaust. Arabs not so much...

[-] Cethin@lemmy.zip 6 points 1 day ago

Many/most people in Israel have some or a large amount of European ancestry, and are generally considered white. This is probably especially true for American ones. Meanwhile Lebanese people do not really have any large connection to European ancestry.

[-] SARGE@startrek.website 11 points 2 days ago

I don't think I know anyone who would consider an "Israeli-American" to be white, or even any whiter than "Lebanese-American", and I'm solidly Midwestern.

I kind of want to send out a bunch of messages to people asking if they consider one "white" or "whiter" than the other...

I know plenty of people who will give Israel carte Blanche simply because it "needs to exist for Jesus to come back" though, so answers wouod be skewed I imagine.

Sorry I didn't really answer your question, I'm interested to hear other people's takes as well.

load more comments (1 replies)
[-] phdepressed@sh.itjust.works 4 points 2 days ago

Jews go into the "white" bucket for ethnicity while Muslims go into the "brown" bucket. Anecdotally in America at least this seems true of their general skin color. I'd say a large part is also that America hasn't really valued any middleast Muslim lives since 9/11 (perhaps earlier but I'm not that old).

[-] Alpha71@lemmy.world 2 points 1 day ago

Technically, Israeli's are considered "brown people" too.

[-] Sundial@lemm.ee 7 points 2 days ago

Biden: Pro human rights when it's politically convenient.

[-] Tar_alcaran@sh.itjust.works 18 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

Left screenshot: "If you aren't able to book a commercial flight from Isreal, starting in 2 weeks we will help you"

Right screenshot: "we are not currently evacuating people from Lebanon, since there are normal commercial flights"

OP: "THATS RACIST!"

You: "Wow, look at how political that is!"

[-] awwwyissss@lemm.ee 6 points 1 day ago

OP, Linkerbaan, posts constant propaganda on Lemmy.

[-] Zeppo@sh.itjust.works 3 points 1 day ago

Only anti-Biden propaganda. I sure would feel weird if I was on a website from Luxembourg constantly criticizing politicians in the Netherlands or something.

[-] awwwyissss@lemm.ee 3 points 1 day ago

Yeah. Seems their intention with the bulk of their posts is to get Trump elected. I assume they're paid by the Kremlin.

[-] Maggoty@lemmy.world -1 points 1 day ago

Left screen shot, there's no real danger but we'll evacuate you.

Right screen shot, Israel is unaliving entire city blocks and may invade tomorrow. Good luck fuckers!

Get it yet?

load more comments (11 replies)
[-] wizardbeard@lemmy.dbzer0.com 6 points 2 days ago

Unfortunately even that's a high bar for most US politicians. There's plenty worse, but vanishingly few that go beyond it.

load more comments
view more: next ›
this post was submitted on 29 Sep 2024
187 points (74.7% liked)

People Twitter

5034 readers
3056 users here now

People tweeting stuff. We allow tweets from anyone.

RULES:

1. Mark NSFW content.
  2. No doxxing people.
  3. Must be a tweet or similar
  4. No bullying.
  5. Be excellent to each other.

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS