top 50 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] spongeborgcubepants@lemmy.world 4 points 16 hours ago

Wrong community?

Or how is this a "meme"?

[-] treesapx@lemmy.world 4 points 16 hours ago

Microblog Memes. It is a Microblog.

[-] Kolanaki@yiffit.net 13 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

I'm pretty sure there is nowhere in the entire universe you can go that wouldn't be subject to some kind of natural disaster except maybe the voids. The big swaths of space with literally nothing in them? But then you'd just be subject to man-made disasters like your space ship/station crumbling to pieces due to poor maintenance or someone going space crazy and murdering everyone aboard.

Even then you might get obliterated by a GRB from some far-off solar system.

[-] DragonTypeWyvern@midwest.social 2 points 14 hours ago

Voids can get randomly blasted by gamma ray bursts. Just like Earth!

[-] Donkter@lemmy.world 3 points 16 hours ago

"just move away from natural disaster areas libtard"

"Noooo why are people moving here! We can't have immigrants here! Move back to your natural disaster areas!"

[-] Snowpix@lemmy.ca 2 points 16 hours ago

I live in a very stable area that's only had a single major natural disaster and that was a tornado that struck 70 years ago. The local chemical plants are more likely to blow up or something than for a natural disaster to harm us.

[-] AEsheron@lemmy.world 3 points 1 day ago

New England is pretty chill. Well, like anywhere with flowing water some regions are flood risks, but that is all very predictable if you go in looking for that info. Aside from that the worst you can count on is snow and ice storms. But at least property damage is usually low, just gaps without power in some areas. Frozen pipes are more preventable, but also more likely to cause significant damage. We do technically get some little earthquakes. And I think once a year or so tornados do happen, but the last time I remember one causing real damage I was in high-school. We actually were going to an event in Colorado and we flew over the storm system that would result in the tornado. That was like.... God around 20 years ago T_T

[-] Shelbyeileen@lemmy.world 28 points 1 day ago

I have a degree in postmortem science and hobby in anthropology/archeology/paleontology. The biggest extinction event this globe has ever seen, the Permian Extinction, where over 90% of ALL life (96% of ocean life) went extinct, was from pollution and a mere 10°C increase in global temperature. That's all it took to decimate life on earth. The pollution and heat came from volcanoes, but we are on the same path. It's already gone up 1.6°C... I do think humanity will survive, but not the majority of us.

Some of my family doesn't believe in climate change, and/or is religious to the point that they don't believe in carbon dating and core sample data. I wish I could make them believe, but no data in the world will work.

I was part of a documentary on the largest fires in recorded history and so many were within the last 10 years it was terrifying. One in the forests of Russia was still ongoing when the doco was finished and RELEASED!

I understand the term isn't always used in such a way, but there is something of irony to hear the term decimate (to kill 1 of every 10 people) to describe what you are saying that only 1 in every 10 survived.

[-] quinkin@lemmy.world 5 points 1 day ago
[-] CazzoneArrapante@lemm.ee 33 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

This is why I get angry that whenever I complain on Reddit about climate change because of massive heatwaves someone said "just emigrate north lmao". Neoliberals are deluded, we have to solve the problem, period.

[-] CitizenKong@lemmy.world 7 points 23 hours ago

"Solve" was 20 years ago. Now it's only "mitigate". But that's the difference between global catastrophe and literal breakdown of organized society.

[-] Overshoot2648@lemm.ee 2 points 17 hours ago

We could solve global warming right now with intentional cloud seeding, but many are worried geoengineering could be too effective and freeze us. Or, if we solve the heating, it could give fossil fuels the wrong impression that they can keep pumping CO² into the air despite it still killing the oceans with carbonic acid.

[-] CazzoneArrapante@lemm.ee 2 points 21 hours ago

No. Solve is solve. period. I want a solution.

[-] BluesF@lemmy.world 4 points 1 day ago

Ben Shapiro "sell your collapsing coastal house" energy.

[-] nepenthes@lemmy.world 3 points 1 day ago

North is their answer.. Ask them if Canada is north enough..

Where we had that Hell Dome^TM from June 25 to July 1, 2021 and 526 people died after it reached 50°c and didn't cool off at night-- making it "the deadliest weather event in Canada to date."

Or how about when it flooded so bad in the same place, 6 months later, that thousands of animals died, 20k people needed to be evacuated, and roads broke-- cutting off the Greater Vancouver Region from the rest of the Province.

Heatwave

Flood

North won't save anyone 😬

[-] driving_crooner@lemmy.eco.br 10 points 1 day ago

Big "sell your house to aquaman" energy

Suppose moving North was the answer. Okay, the entire global south is just gonna move North. No problems on the horizon here.

[-] SkunkWorkz@lemmy.world 3 points 20 hours ago

It’s pretty ironic that right wing parties in Europe are actually making what they hate, African migration to Europe, more likely to happen. They don’t want any money going to programs that combat climate change and they don’t want aid going to Africa to help Africans survive and thrive and build their economies.

[-] Wes4Humanity@lemm.ee 7 points 1 day ago

The global South would want to move south for the same effect.

[-] SkunkWorkz@lemmy.world 3 points 20 hours ago

Much less land in the south unless Antarctica completely defrosts.

load more comments (2 replies)
[-] LustyArgonianMana@lemmy.world 8 points 1 day ago

They also fail to understand that there are 9 theorized planetary boundaries needed to support human life, and we've crossed at least 6 if not 7 of them. We need to not cross ANY. Moving north doesn't fix most of these PLANETARY boundaries

[-] daniskarma@lemmy.dbzer0.com 11 points 1 day ago

Could you expand on what are those boundaries and what have we already crossed? Seems interesting.

load more comments (1 replies)
[-] FlyingSquid@lemmy.world 46 points 1 day ago

I live in a river valley that tornadoes generally jump over. I also live on a hill much higher than the river will ever flood even in a catastrophic event like this.

And yet, back in June...

No tornado, just high-speed wind. And a lot of our neighbors got it worse than us. Trees through people's windows, branches on cars, some of the roads in our subdivision were completely blocked for a couple of days. Houses are still being repaired.

There is nowhere safe from climate change.

load more comments (4 replies)
[-] theywilleatthestars@lemmy.world 15 points 1 day ago

We got wind from the hurricane all the way in Chicago. I don't like what that could mean for us in another decade.

[-] UnderpantsWeevil@lemmy.world 18 points 1 day ago

I do think people fixate on "Climate Change is going to make weather patterns way worse" while losing a bit of sight on "Our infrastructure has been collapsing for the last 50 years and neither states nor businesses want to spend money to shore it up".

These hurricanes are the big-ass straw that's breaking the ancient and rickety-knee'd camel's back. Even if we magically solved rising temperatures tomorrow, we'd still be dealing with the legacy of higher global temperatures for another century. And we'd still have infrastructure that's continuing to pass its expiration date under the most benign weather conditions.

But because of the way we do accounting and measure economic growth in this country, these storms only ever seem to be counted as "future possible risks to hedge against" rather than "guaranteed costs to invest in anticipation of".

load more comments (3 replies)
[-] Soup@lemmy.world 230 points 2 days ago

Also that argument is dead on arrival because they expect you and businesses and the entire city to pack up and leave as if it would cost nothing. They also have literally said “just sell your house and move” but like TO WHO?! Who would buy that house if it’s in such a fucked area?!

If anyone ever says “just move” you know they have zero concept of the word “community” or “moving costs” or “nuance”. They just don’t want to address the cause of the problem because they’re, at best, cowards.

[-] Mango@lemmy.world 2 points 20 hours ago

To greedy investors, that's who.

load more comments (47 replies)
[-] DragonTypeWyvern@midwest.social 84 points 2 days ago

"Who am I supposed to sell my house in Florida to!??!!?!??"

Conservatives. It's a victimless crime. Come on guys.

[-] SharkEatingBreakfast@sopuli.xyz 67 points 2 days ago

Why don't people who have had their house burned to the ground in the wildfires just sell their homes and move? 🤪

load more comments (4 replies)
[-] arin@lemmy.world 41 points 2 days ago

Landslide mudslides on mountains are way more scary than floods. Floods you get a boat ok, landslides you're dead and buried.

[-] MonkderVierte@lemmy.ml 33 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

Cleaning it is a bitc*.

Edit: wth, we have profanity filters here?

[-] todd_bonzalez@lemm.ee 3 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

wth, we have profanity filters here?

Welcome to Lemmy.ML, where "bitch" and the n-word are equally profane, and the admins render both as removed so you never fully know what's going on. If you want to have a better time, find an instance that isn't run by tankies. I made the mistake of choosing ML as my first Lemmy instance, and I didn't realize how much better Lemmy is when you're not under their thumb until I left.

[-] OpenStars 18 points 1 day ago

Profanity filters barely begins to scratch the surface of the heavy restrictions on lemmy.ml. The admins there are also well-known for banning people from not just communities but the entire instance if you criticize China, Russia, North Korea, etc., or certain leaders of such, or communist, etc. Imagine a Truth Social instance, except claiming to be leftist instead of right-wing - their way is the correct way and that's final, dissent not allowed.

As it result, it has developed into quite the echo chamber. Not that that matters much to you bc you can access most communities across the entire Fediverse from there, or vice versa.

What may matter to you though is that many people, myself included, have user blocks in place (and lemmy.cafe has even defederated from it entirely) that prevents us from getting notifications from people on that instance. Blocking the big three instances (hexbear.net, Lemmygrad.ml, and lemmy.ml) cuts out >99% of the toxic crap coming our way, at the expense of conversations with innocent people who merely were not aware of the history of that instance and its relation to the Fediverse at large. I also lose out on a few larger communities that way but for me at least I consider it well worth the cost. So if you ever feel isolated, like people from other instances are ignoring what you say... it may be due to this effect, i.e. we may literally not even be aware that you replied to us at all.

So now you know.

[-] MonkderVierte@lemmy.ml 2 points 21 hours ago

Thanks. Maybe i'll move this weekend.

[-] OpenStars 1 points 6 hours ago

Do as you want, but I wanted you to know your options!

Speaking of, nothing needs to be permanent - just make an alt somewhere and check it out, and you can always keep your old account (you will ofc find yourself using it less, if you enjoy the new one better:-).

Also, look at the Import/Export Settings section in your Settings menu for easier setup of your subscriptions and such.

A lot of people are recommending lemm.ee these days, but there are so many cool options to explore, just don't let that thought hold you back from doing anything at all.

load more comments (22 replies)
load more comments (8 replies)
load more comments
view more: next ›
this post was submitted on 29 Sep 2024
1096 points (98.7% liked)

Microblog Memes

5467 readers
2873 users here now

A place to share screenshots of Microblog posts, whether from Mastodon, tumblr, ~~Twitter~~ X, KBin, Threads or elsewhere.

Created as an evolution of White People Twitter and other tweet-capture subreddits.

Rules:

1. Please put at least one word relevant to the post in the post title.
  2. Be nice.
  3. No advertising, brand promotion or guerilla marketing.
  4. Posters are encouraged to link to the toot or tweet etc in the description of posts.

Related communities:

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS