submitted 2 days ago by Hammocks4All@lemmy.ml to c/asklemmy@lemmy.ml

I like seeing a group evolve and form good friendships. I also like sci fi and weirdness. For these reasons, two of my favorite shows are The Expanse and Severance. In both, by the end, I felt like I was “part of the team” in some way.

What are a couple of your favorites? What kind of itch do they scratch?

top 50 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] kwedd@feddit.nl 1 points 10 hours ago

Comedy:

• The Young Ones
  • Red Dwarf
  • Arrested Development
  • The Good Place

Science Fiction:

• Star Trek: The Next Generation
  • Battlestar Galactica
  • Firefly
  • The Expanse

Drama:

• Six Feet Under
  • Breaking Bad

Happy Endings

[-] BonesOfTheMoon@lemmy.world 3 points 17 hours ago

What We Do In The Shadows and Letterkenny.

[-] selokichtli@lemmy.ml 8 points 22 hours ago

The Wire is one of those shows that portray the detective work with different approaches. They also show brilliant criminal minds, leadership and organization. There are bits of heroism in some rogue characters, too. The political and juducial aspects of organized crime are unashamedly put in front of you. Acting and writing are top-notch. It's just a must watch if you like TV shows.

BTW, great picks Severance and The Expanse, however, the latter had so many problems to find enough financial support that ends up showing on the screen. Being said that, the show is awesome in a Battlestar Galactica way to make things happen no matter the circumstance.

• The Wire
  • Breaking Bad
  • The Blacklist, although it got ridiculous.
  • Sherlock BBC Benedict Bundersnatch
  • Better Call Saul
  • The Ozarks
  • Succession
  • Severance
[-] MimicJar@lemmy.world 3 points 17 hours ago

I've watched every one of those shows, except the Blacklist, and would agree that they are my favorite shows.

I guess I should watch The Blacklist.

It’s not amazing but the main character has such charisma that you can take the ever more extravagant plot lines.

[-] lesnout27@feddit.org 2 points 18 hours ago

Over the Gardenwall

[-] redxef@feddit.org 6 points 1 day ago

Halt and Catch Fire: It's a really cool drama about a group of very different people, who come together because of one shared goal, and then everyone following their own desires - more or less burning bridges and rebuilding them over 4 seasons of the show.

[-] mub@lemmy.ml 12 points 1 day ago

Westworld (Season 1). The other seasons are good and have great moments but season 1 is special.

[-] FlembleFabber@sh.itjust.works 1 points 19 hours ago

Yeah season 1 was so good, it got worse after which is a shame

[-] kenoh@lemm.ee 11 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

Dark

• This is the most intricate show ever. The Sistine Chapel of TV

The Wire

• The most real and relevant show. Much more than just a cop show. I would say this is the best bit of TV ever.

Colin From Accounts

• Hilarious. Kind of insane. First 5 minutes and I can't believe what just happened. Makes me want to visit Australia.
[-] TheFriar@lemm.ee 2 points 22 hours ago

Dude, the casting in Dark absolutely blew my fuckin mind, choom. I don’t want to spoil the plot in the seasons after the first by telling people who haven’t seen it what I mean, but if you’ve seen it you know exactly what I mean.

[-] kenoh@lemm.ee 1 points 3 hours ago

It's sooooo good. Young/old Noah. Young/old Boris. So many amazing examples.

[-] AndrewZabar@lemmy.world 2 points 22 hours ago* (last edited 21 hours ago)

I absolutely loved Dark and followed it for most of the run. However, I haven't watched the last season yet. Is it good?

[-] NauticalNoodle@lemmy.ml 10 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

The first and ONLY season of Altered Carbon. I love the dystopian cyberpunk sci-fi film noir style.

[-] ClusterBomb@lemmy.blahaj.zone 10 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

My top 5 is :

Arcane
Mr. Robot
Breaking Bad
The Good Place
Stranger Things

[-] Codilingus@sh.itjust.works 8 points 1 day ago

God I love Mr. Robot. It's not perfect, but it stays my all time favourite show for good reasons. It's hard to hype it to someone though, because a lot of the ways I would describe why it's good would be spoilers 🫠

[-] erphise@lemmy.world 1 points 1 day ago

I saw the first season and really liked it, but now I just started S2 and currently on second epidose and I’m struggling to continue tbh. Does it keep up with the first one? Was curiouse if those spoilers you say make the show good are spoilers from the end of season one or end of tv show?

[-] PmMeFrogMemes@lemmy.world 8 points 1 day ago

I'm so excited for severance season 2. I can't fathom how they could recreate the perfection of season 1 but I have my hopes up regardless

[-] r_thndr@lemmy.dbzer0.com 11 points 1 day ago

Battlestar Galactica will always be my comfort apocalypse.

[-] JustEnoughDucks@feddit.nl 2 points 1 day ago

On the final episode with my rewatch

load more comments (1 replies)
[-] RBWells@lemmy.world 4 points 1 day ago

Right now? Enjoying Preacher, that seems like it would suit you.

Ever? That has to be Dr. Who. I watched it as a kid and watched the newer ones with my kids.

[-] 2ugly2live@lemmy.world 3 points 1 day ago

The Haunting of Bly Manor. I think it's beautifully tragic. 🥲 And I really connected with their protrayl of grief. A close runner up would be The Haunting of the Hill House.

[-] Daze@sh.itjust.works 12 points 1 day ago

Didn’t see it mentioned yet so i’ll shout out:

Devs.

Super super good sci-fi mystery series relating to quantum theory that introduced some … moral quandaries that stick with you. I dont see it talked about much but I really enjoyed it. Nick Offerman plays the main “bad guy” and it was a jarring but refreshing role change, kinda like John Goodman in the second cloverfield movie. God Damn he killed it.

[-] FrostyCaveman@lemm.ee 5 points 1 day ago

I also loved Devs. Great soundtrack too.

[-] DredPyr8Roberts@lemmy.world 29 points 2 days ago

Avatar The Last Airbender. An animated series with a complete story arch that takes place in a unique world. The characters are very relatable and have great development over time, even the villians are better than what most shows have. The animation is sophisticated in the way it is used to help tell the story, and the story is wonderful, it hooks you in from the intro:

"*Water. Earth. Fire. Air. Long ago, the four nations lived together in harmony. Then, everything changed when the Fire Nation attacked. Only the Avatar, master of all four elements, could stop them, but when the world needed him most, he vanished. A hundred years passed and my brother and I discovered the new Avatar, an airbender named Aang. And although his airbending skills are great, he has a lot to learn before he's ready to save anyone. But I believe Aang can save the world."

[-] selokichtli@lemmy.ml 2 points 22 hours ago

This show truly deserves all the praise. My older brother used to watch it back in its time, and I couldn't understand how a 30-ish year old could watch cartoons like that.

15 years passed and someone recommends it. One day, while recovering from some cold in bed, I put Avatar out of boredom, some days after that recommendation. Damn. First couple of chapters are not very strong, but enough to keep digging. As these are short episodes, it really doesn't matter. But the ending of the first season? That is art.

[-] absGeekNZ@lemmy.nz 21 points 2 days ago

Hell, the villains have more character development than protagonists in other shows.

Also Uncle Iroh, it possibly the greatest male role model in TV.

[-] GatoEscobar@lemmy.dbzer0.com 11 points 2 days ago

Regular show

Its just so fun to watch and I am glad someone archived all of the episodes in the best quality

load more comments (4 replies)
[-] MrsDoyle@sh.itjust.works 10 points 2 days ago

I've just caught up with Slow Horses. The main character is played by Gary Oldman in top form. He's a spy, so decrepit and filthy you can almost smell him. He runs an outpost of British intelligence from a filthy, decrepit office staffed by a bunch of fuck-ups. It's the best thing I've seen in ages. Lots of character development, back stories, car chases, bloodshed, even a tiny splash of romance. It's on its 4th series, so I'm very late to the game. Probably because I don't have Apple+.

https://wikipedia.org/wiki/Slow_Horses

[-] MindTraveller@lemmy.ca 14 points 2 days ago
[-] papertowels@lemmy.one 3 points 20 hours ago

Yup, a lot of great shows are being thrown around, but a good place captures everything you want - growing friendships and relationships, unravelling weirdness, and being a part of the team.

[-] Rai@lemmy.dbzer0.com 7 points 1 day ago

It’s not Sci-fi, but I’m shocked nobody has mentioned Six Feet Under, my vote for the best show ever made. With the best ending episode ever made. I never cry watching stuff but I ABSOLUTELY cried when I saw the ending. I tear up just thinking about it or listening to a certain song. I watched it a million years ago, then met someone who I’ve been with for over a decade who became a mortician. I then watched it all over again with them and they felt the same way I did about it. Best show ever.

[-] yogthos@lemmy.ml 4 points 1 day ago

I really enjoyed both shows as well. You might enjoy Silo which is a pretty solid recent sci-fi show I can recommend. Andor is also excellent, it's hands down my favorite thing from the Star Wars universe. Farscape is also absolutely fantastic. It starts out a bit slow, but it's absolutely amazing once it gets going. Also enjoyed Love Death and Robots, they took a bunch of short sci-fi stories and make episodes out of each. Firefly is another excellent show.

[-] officermike@lemmy.world 22 points 2 days ago

Batman: The Animated Series

Unique art style (it was drawn on black paper), excellent writing, excellent voice acting.

[-] clark@midwest.social 5 points 1 day ago

Happy!. The perfect mix of black comedy, violence, and weird central alien stuff.

[-] gjoel@programming.dev 20 points 2 days ago

Farscape. Always farscape.

[-] AuntieFreeze@lemmy.world 9 points 2 days ago

Smiling friends. The humor isn't anything like I've seen before. I tend to love random humor.

Letterkenny. The insults are top notch.

[-] degen@midwest.social 5 points 1 day ago

I can't believe I forgot about Letterkenny. The riffing is just so good, it doesn't get old, and every character is perfect. And the music, especially season one's display is exactly my taste. The whole show is top notch, but season one is something special.

Schitt's Creek, too. Both are Canadian gems. I love how like half of the cast is Eugene Levy's family, and Dan Levy is bae. It's one of the few comedies to bring me to tears, I'm pretty sure more than once.

So many shows have to be tied for number one for me lmao. Every time I look back at this thread the list gets longer.

load more comments
view more: next ›
this post was submitted on 25 Sep 2024
100 points (99.0% liked)

Asklemmy

43454 readers
1365 users here now

A loosely moderated place to ask open-ended questions

Search asklemmy 🔍

If your post meets the following criteria, it's welcome here!

1. Open-ended question
  2. Not offensive: at this point, we do not have the bandwidth to moderate overtly political discussions. Assume best intent and be excellent to each other.
  3. Not regarding using or support for Lemmy: context, see the list of support communities and tools for finding communities below
  4. Not ad nauseam inducing: please make sure it is a question that would be new to most members
  5. An actual topic of discussion

Looking for support?

Looking for a community?

~Icon~ ~by~ ~@Double_A@discuss.tchncs.de~

founded 5 years ago
MODERATORS