submitted 6 days ago* (last edited 6 days ago) by InevitableSwing@hexbear.net to c/games@hexbear.net

Hint 1

It's mate in 4.

Hint 2

Nf7+ then Nh6+

Smothered mate

The solution is here - https://www.chess.com/analysis/game/live/120785379743?tab=analysis&move=59 - check top of the right sidebar.

I started trying something new when I watch speed chess.

1. Sometimes I watch players stronger than me but not too much stronger than me.

2. I keep the evaluation bar off so I'm forced to think without hints. I'm way too addicted to the elav bar.

Spoiler - I mention what I saw in real time.I watched this game a few minutes ago. I thought I was clever to notice Nf7+ and Nxd8 which wins the rook. But even though I love smothered mates - I didn't even think to look for that. When white played Nh6+ I nearly groaned. What the- Oh! I missed it! Fuuuuuuck!

all 15 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] Tomorrow_Farewell@hexbear.net 4 points 5 days ago* (last edited 5 days ago)

spoilerNf7 Kg8
Nh6
Then, either
... Kh8
Qg8 Rxg8
Nf7
Smothered checkmate.
Or
... Kf8
Qf7

Let's see if I was correct.

EDIT: Seems like I solved this one correctly.

[-] Speaker@hexbear.net 6 points 6 days ago

Talk about taking the L. Cute mate.

[-] MidnightPocket@hexbear.net 5 points 6 days ago

I checked the solution and it was much simpler than I expected; can't the pawn just kill the knight to avoid the king having to move back/forth? Doesn't seem like checkmate since to escape check it is legal to capture the threatening piece.

[-] InevitableSwing@hexbear.net 5 points 5 days ago

can't the pawn just kill the knight to avoid the king having to move back/forth?

No. It's double check and double check is (very) nasty.

[-] bunnygirl@hexbear.net 4 points 5 days ago

In any double check (queen and knight here), the only possible response is to move the king

[-] Barabas@hexbear.net 5 points 5 days ago

The king is also put in check by the queen, taking the knight doesn’t remove that threat.

[-] Wakmrow@hexbear.net 4 points 6 days ago

Doesn't have to be a smother. Kf8 before qf7#

[-] Speaker@hexbear.net 1 points 6 days ago* (last edited 6 days ago)
[-] Wakmrow@hexbear.net 2 points 6 days ago* (last edited 6 days ago)

NF7+ KG8 NH6+ KF8 QG7#

If you wanted to be spiteful you could do this to deny the smother

[-] propter_hog@hexbear.net 2 points 6 days ago* (last edited 6 days ago)

I followed you until Qg7#. The Queen is on e6, so it can't move to g7 in one move.

ETA: I see you meant Qf7#, but that line doesn't work in the puzzle because I believe Kf8 is going to be worse than Kh8, but I'd want to see what the analysis says about it. At that point mate in 2 is unavoidable regardless.

[-] Wakmrow@hexbear.net 2 points 5 days ago

Yeah, meant qf7#, I always mess up notation lol.

I mean there is no analysis at this point, it's forced mate. Neither kh8 nor kf8 is better. But black can avoid a smother if they choose. For the record, I would not avoid it, smothers are cool.

[-] propter_hog@hexbear.net 3 points 6 days ago

spoilerI'm like you: I LOOOOVE a good smother mate.

[-] Nationalgoatism@hexbear.net 3 points 6 days ago

Nxd8 also leads to a mate in 3 or 4. Black has to respond Kh8 or Kf8, so Qe8 or Qf7 respectively. This is a cool play as well though

[-] Speaker@hexbear.net 2 points 6 days ago* (last edited 6 days ago)

I don't think Nxd8 would be legal. EDIT: Oh, I see it, next move. My bad. Though I think you need the smother to avoid Qxe6.

this post was submitted on 22 Sep 2024
35 points (100.0% liked)

games

20441 readers
411 users here now

Tabletop, DnD, board games, and minecraft. Also Animal Crossing.

Rules

founded 4 years ago
MODERATORS