submitted 1 week ago by MicroWave@lemmy.world to c/world@lemmy.world

Doctors Without Borders said Tuesday it has closed its operations in Russia after 32 years, citing a Justice Ministry letter that said the medical aid group had been removed from a register of foreign nongovernmental organizations.

top 20 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] HootinNHollerin@lemmy.world 12 points 6 days ago* (last edited 6 days ago)

Because Russia will kidnap the doctors from western countries and claim they’re spies hoping for a trade off for some of their legitimately war lord and assassin prisoners held in the west

[-] Duamerthrax@lemmy.world 4 points 6 days ago* (last edited 6 days ago)

My first thought that they would be drafted and sent to the front lines as medics, but that would assuming too much planning and compassion of Russia.

[-] carl_dungeon@lemmy.world 4 points 6 days ago

Yeah fuck Russia

[-] dumbass@leminal.space 80 points 1 week ago

So, I guess they're Doctors with a couple of Borders now.

[-] BlemboTheThird@lemmy.ca 43 points 1 week ago

You don't even have to read the article. OP put it right there in the post.

the medical aid group had been removed from a register of foreign nongovernmental organizations.

Russia was getting ready to outlaw them. It would have been a danger for them to keep personnel in the country, leaving them exposed to being kidnapped and used as currency for prisoner exchanges.

There's a chance you're joking but I know for a fact there are people here who will take this seriously.

[-] iamanurd@midwest.social 2 points 5 days ago

Joking or not, it is accurate.

[-] ArcaneSlime@lemmy.dbzer0.com 27 points 1 week ago

Looks like there are some borders!

Lol jk it makes sense, if I did any kind of business in the area I'd have bailed long ago, I just couldn't resist the joke.

[-] Flocklesscrow@lemm.ee 8 points 1 week ago

Is joke. Joke is acceptable.

[-] jaybone@lemmy.world 6 points 1 week ago

Is russias medical infrastructure so poor that they need this kind of assistance? I could guess maybe their war is stretching resources so thin. But this says 32 years they’ve been there. That’s like almost as far back as the end of the USSR.

I wonder if they had been assisting in treating soldiers wounded in this war.

[-] FlyingSquid@lemmy.world 25 points 1 week ago

Russia removed them from their list of foreign NGOs. That puts their personnel directly at risk. They didn't really have much of a choice.

this post was submitted on 21 Sep 2024
296 points (98.7% liked)

World News

38639 readers
2621 users here now

A community for discussing events around the World

Rules:

We ask that the users report any comment or post that violate the rules, to use critical thinking when reading, posting or commenting. Users that post off-topic spam, advocate violence, have multiple comments or posts removed, weaponize reports or violate the code of conduct will be banned.

All posts and comments will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. This means that some content that violates the rules may be allowed, while other content that does not violate the rules may be removed. The moderators retain the right to remove any content and ban users.

Lemmy World Partners

News !news@lemmy.world

Politics !politics@lemmy.world

World Politics !globalpolitics@lemmy.world

Recommendations

For Firefox users, there is media bias / propaganda / fact check plugin.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/media-bias-fact-check/

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS