Sometimes I feel like if I do so I'm basically serving as an ad, and I don't really care for that, especially if later I find that the business was scummy in some ways (which is often the case, especially later as it changes leadership/ownership).

If you do, how do you deal with it?

you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] ALostInquirer@lemm.ee 3 points 5 months ago

Your last sentence gets at part of what I was thinking in writing this question. I see where others are coming from when talking among friends or not awkwardly dropping in products/titles, but it's that limbo space when either talking among acquaintances or online with strangers where it gets murkier to me.

I think some of this also comes from the posting culture you see if you browse microblogging platforms, even apart from influencer-types, which I think comes from the constraints of a lower character count to some degree.

[-] Rentlar@lemmy.ca 1 points 5 months ago* (last edited 5 months ago)

Full agree. You're not paid to influence but I also say you're not paid to fret over it either whether it's with strangers or acquaintances.

My advice for you overall is don't sweat it if you casually mention a brand name, but if you're unsure whether to put one in a comment think about it this way. Recommend a brand name if you think it would be helpful for the person you're talking to, as in that case there's no sense at hinting at a brand name or giving a riddle to someone who's looking for a product they can trust will serve them well. If it's just part of some anecdote where the brand isn't relevant or helpful, then talk about it generically.

this post was submitted on 30 Apr 2024
53 points (96.5% liked)

No Stupid Questions

2174 readers
1 users here now

There is no such thing as a Stupid Question!

Don't be embarrassed of your curiosity; everyone has questions that they may feel uncomfortable asking certain people, so this place gives you a nice area not to be judged about asking it. Everyone here is willing to help.

Reminder that the rules for lemmy.ca still apply!

Thanks for reading all of this, even if you didn't read all of this, and your eye started somewhere else, have a watermelon slice ๐Ÿ‰.

founded 2 years ago
MODERATORS