Pronouns (lemmy.world)
you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] jjjalljs@ttrpg.network 6 points 5 months ago

I'm going to ignore the bit about your friend for now.

I have had the kind of conversation where you try to change someone's mind. That is, distinct from the more common kind on the Internet where you're just fighting.

It takes a lot of time and energy. You need them to see you as a member of one of their in groups, typically.

I have had a couple friends who would consume a lot of right wing media, but we shared some things in common. One was also working retail, both were video game nerds. I think because we had those things in common, they saw me as a friend, someone in an in-group, and thus listened to me.

If I had just sent them a YouTube video, they probably would have rejected it. If a stranger did, almost certainly.

Unfortunately, when I was no longer in their daily life they sort of drifted back to what their dominant groups thought.

this post was submitted on 28 Apr 2024
1540 points (92.3% liked)

Microblog Memes

5467 readers
2796 users here now

A place to share screenshots of Microblog posts, whether from Mastodon, tumblr, ~~Twitter~~ X, KBin, Threads or elsewhere.

Created as an evolution of White People Twitter and other tweet-capture subreddits.

Rules:

1. Please put at least one word relevant to the post in the post title.
  2. Be nice.
  3. No advertising, brand promotion or guerilla marketing.
  4. Posters are encouraged to link to the toot or tweet etc in the description of posts.

Related communities:

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS